By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

World Cup 2010 (merged threads)

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pleased for Nando & Pepe, winning it; gutted for Dirk & less-so for Babel. Happy for Xabi & Arby too.

Players didn't make it easy, but when Webb had dished out 4 yellows in 22 mins - only one of which was merited - I knew it was going to be a petty game of 'look at me' which it was.

Compare that refereeing display to the one in the semi - Spain-Germany. THAT was a good ref. Webb was back to his English League worst

I'm really not a big fan of Webb, but I had a lot of sympathy for him last night. That was an incredibly difficult game to referee overall, because he was trying to do everything he could to keep everyone on the pitch but Holland were pushing it to the absolute limit.

Van Bommel could have been sent off about 4 times over, De Jong should have gone and a few more were pushing it, Robben kicked the ball into the net when play had clearly stopped and he knew it full well whilst on a yellow so he got let off as well; it wouldn't have been ridiculous for Holland to have been down to 8 or 9 players within 90 minutes but who wants to send off players in a WC Final? You'd want to be involved as little as possible.

Its pretty silly for Holland to be blaming Webb, he actually allowed them to get as far as they did by stretching the rules for them. Elia went down far too easily before the goal as well - I didn't think it was a foul at all. And even if he sends Puyol for that one on Robben, then by the letter of the law Holland would have already been down to about 8 players and probably never would have got him into that position in the first place.

He's still a c*nt, but did feel a bit sorry for Webb last night. Had he started giving reds to Holland he wouldn't have been able to stop - Spain kept trying to play football but if anyone ruined the game then it was the Dutch side rather than Webb. It was all a bit uneccesary, Holland might have needed to stop a supremely gifted Spain team from playing to have a chance, but you can spoil a side without having to kick lumps out of them.

Edited by Leo No.8

Webb had an average game, he wasn't great, wasn't s***. Holland have no excuses, they were fairly vicious and were lucky with the De Jong thing.

Well done Spain. Hope this means free drinks in all Spanish bars for a month.

Gutted.

Think Spain deserved it overall especially as we kicked them all over the place, but after the first half i was starting to feel confident. Robben missed two glorious chances. And their goal came from a goal kick that should have been a corner (though i might be rembering that wrong)

I'm really not a big fan of Webb, but I had a lot of sympathy for him last night. That was an incredibly difficult game to referee overall, because he was trying to do everything he could to keep everyone on the pitch but Holland were pushing it to the absolute limit.

Van Bommel could have been sent off about 4 times over, De Jong should have gone and a few more were pushing it, Robben kicked the ball into the net when play had clearly stopped and he knew it full well whilst on a yellow so he got let off as well; it wouldn't have been ridiculous for Holland to have been down to 8 or 9 players within 90 minutes but who wants to send off players in a WC Final? You'd want to be involved as little as possible.

Its pretty silly for Holland to be blaming Webb, he actually allowed them to get as far as they did by stretching the rules for them. Elia went down far too easily before the goal as well - I didn't think it was a foul at all. And even if he sends Puyol for that one on Robben, then by the letter of the law Holland would have already been down to about 8 players and probably never would have got him into that position in the first place.

He's still a c*nt, but did feel a bit sorry for Webb last night. Had he started giving reds to Holland he wouldn't have been able to stop - Spain kept trying to play football but if anyone ruined the game then it was the Dutch side rather than Webb. It was all a bit uneccesary, Holland might have needed to stop a supremely gifted Spain team from playing to have a chance, but you can spoil a side without having to kick lumps out of them.

Good summary. Can't really argue with any of that.

I think you're bang on that Webb's biggest mistake was trying to keep everyone on the pitch for as long as possible.

Gutted.

Think Spain deserved it overall especially as we kicked them all over the place, but after the first half i was starting to feel confident. Robben missed two glorious chances. And their goal came from a goal kick that should have been a corner (though i might be rembering that wrong)

You are

It was a minute or so earlier. The Dutch were protesting about Elia being closed off in a sandwich as he tried to get into the penalty area from the left. I've seen them given but after what the Dutch had dished out, it wold have been really soft

Gutted.

thought holland did well. the kicked them off the park stuff's being exaggerated. the de jong challenge apart i didn't think there was anything that malicious just a desire to disrupt and compete. which is an absolute prerequisite to beating spain. it's like the outrage you hear from arsenal fans after they've been involved in a physical game.

and you did more with the ball than people are suggesting too.

and i'm half spanish.

thought holland did well. the kicked them off the park stuff's being exaggerated. the de jong challenge apart i didn't think there was anything that malicious just a desire to disrupt and compete. which is an absolute prerequisite to beating spain. it's like the outrage you hear from arsenal fans after they've been involved in a physical game.

and i'm half spanish.

that's exactly what i thought as well

I thought spain should have had a penalty as well for hietenga's tackle on Xavi

and i'm half spanish.

Agree with that. Imagine what Holland could have achieved with a decent striker.

and i'm half spanish.

Agree with this. Robben had some really good chances to win the game for Holland, but the Dutch needed a good striker, RVP was crap. The pundits were outraged that Holland didn't stand back and let Spain play their pretty football, not sure why they thought Holland should do that.

Webb had a difficult game and was doing his best to keep everyone on the pitch. Booked the first player too soon for me, should have given him a b******ing first. Once he got the cards out he couldn't really stop.

Great quote from Puyol before the game when asked about Pauls prediction that Spain would prevail. He looked puzzled and said "well...he's an octopus"

Happy for Spain, although I reckon Holland lost it with negativity, lack of belief and sheer brutality. Couldn't help thinking what an amazing final Spain vs Brazil would've been.

Was also feeling some sympathies for Webb but it was making me uncomfortable so I happily reverted to shouting his incompetence at the telly.