Sign in to follow this  
Bromage

Podcast 22 is now available!

The latest podcast is now available for download. This is a discussion on the performance against Wolves & Villa, a look at the transfer activity to date and a preview of the game on Sunday against Spurs.

If you would like to subscribe to the podcast you can do by clicking on the link below;

xml.gif

Or Here

Or you can subscribe through iTunes by entering "YNWA" into the search bar.

If you would like to comment on any of the issues raised in this podcast then please contact us;

Twitter

Email

Or you can post a message in the forums.

I was smiling through the Martin Kelly/Stephen Darby mix up. My eyes widened when I heard that Kelly was not going to amount to much (or words to that effect) - I think it was Sutty that let out an incredulous gasp when he heard this, almost unsure whether it was a joke or not.

I think it was Neil (Knox' ??) that was talking about controlling a game.

My thoughts on this stem from the Villa game. Perhaps;

- Villa werent great,

- Some of our players were not at their best by giving the ball away,

- The tension of a big game brought out the worst in bad conditions,

but in saying all that, I thought something stood out and that was our persistence in trying to keep passing the ball through midfield. I would not have been surprised given the way we have been playing to see us by passing midfield and going over their head - after all, the game was littered with errors but we still kept it on the deck.

Personally, I think Aquilani, Benayoun, Gerrard and to a lesser extent, Lucas* helped in this aspect. AA, YB & SG were accepting the ball in close quarters and willing to play in tight spots. Even with limited viewings of Aqualad, I think we can accept that this is one of his qualities. Players were confident to feed them with the ball and in turn once one of them received, they then were likely to have one of the other 2 available to lay it off to quickly and he in turn would either have Lucas to find, one of the other 2, maybe ping it into Torres or find Johnson down the right

Basically, having 3 players in that area of the pitch fosters a mentality of playing the slick ball. Players feel confident feeding them with passes even in the tighter areas.

Personally, I would like to see Riera and Maxi on either wing at some stage given their technical ability to play keep-ball.

Anyway, to sum up, if we want to control games I think we need our most technically adept players in the center and that for me is Aqualad, Yossi, Gerrard in his floating role and Lucas in games against lower teams and Masch against better teams.

*Lucas was very good in getting about the pitch and putting in tackles despite his early yellow but his technical qualities are not at the level of the other 3

*Lucas was very good in getting about the pitch and putting in tackles despite his early yellow but his technical qualities are not at the level of the other 3

yet he still had a better passing rate than the other three

Sign in to follow this