Sign in to follow this  
New York Red

Transfer Thread

That's what it sounds like. All three would go straight into Fulham's first team squad.

And you couldn't blame them. To be honest it's tough for young players to break through at top clubs, seems they either have to be truly exceptional or the club set up to bring them through perhaps at the expense of short term results. Far easier to go to a lower club, get the football they need and get the move to a big club still early in their career.

And you couldn't blame them. To be honest it's tough for young players to break through at top clubs, seems they either have to be truly exceptional or the club set up to bring them through perhaps at the expense of short term results. Far easier to go to a lower club, get the football they need and get the move to a big club still early in their career.

Tell that to Barcelona. 8 players that started on saturday night came through their youth system & they are far and away the best team on the planet. Golden age maybe they they do consistenly produce first teams players through their ranks.

Edited by George Costanza

Tell that to Barcelona. 8 players that started on saturday night cam through their youth system & they are far and away the best team on the planet. Golden age maybe they they do consistenly produce first teams players through their ranks.

spot on lad.

Barca are a special case though.

No other club produces that number of top class players on a consistent basis. We should be copying the Barca system exactly, although I doubt the whole 'boarding school' approach would appeal to many kids over here.

No other club produces that number of top class players on a consistent basis. We should be copying the Barca system exactly, although I doubt the whole 'boarding school' approach would appeal to many kids over here.

Why wouldn't it. "Come and join us and look at what players have 'graduated'." Their success at developing youth is clear to be seen.

At present all the good local talent is ending up at Everton - there they at least have half a chance of making it into the senior side. Its a closed shop here.

Unless you are seen to be keen to develop and give youth a chance then you won't stand a chance of attracting the real talent that has potential to make it. I am also aware that our academy coaches are quite poor too.

It's against Premier League rules as well. For the kids who live more than an hour away we'd have to move their whole families and have them live with them. It'd cost an absolute fortune. Barca can sign kids from anywhere in Spain without going through all that s****.

Edited by Maldini

i dont see why not tbh.

Why wouldn't it. "Come and join us and look at what players have 'graduated'." Their success at developing youth is clear to be seen.

At present all the good local talent is ending up at Everton - there they at least have half a chance of making it into the senior side. Its a closed shop here.

Unless you are seen to be keen to develop and give youth a chance then you won't stand a chance of attracting the real talent that has potential to make it. I am also aware that our academy coaches are quite poor too.

i wonder what Pacheco thought on saturday about Babel getting the nod ahead of him

2-0 up, Bolton doing f*** all, why not give the kid a go.

We're not signing anyone are we? Third transfer window in a row in profit for the Yanks. f***ing depressing.

We're not signing anyone are we? Third transfer window in a row in profit for the Yanks. f***ing depressing.

yeah but we spent £18m on a defender, so we should have improved

i wonder what Pacheco thought on saturday about Babel getting the nod ahead of him

Aye. I'm not trying to beat rafa with a stick or anything as its a problem at the club as a whole. There just doesn't seem to be any continuity and trust in younger players.

Insua hs been a relative success so far. Hopefully he will continue to progress even though i'm not sure he's still yet cut out obe first choice left back just yet. Pacheco is crying out for a chance or two, the reserves is a s*** standard - leave a quality player there too long and he'll stagnate.

Aye. I'm not trying to beat rafa with a stick or anything as its a problem at the club as a whole. There just doesn't seem to be any continuity and trust in younger players.

Insua hs been a relative success so far. Hopefully he will continue to progress even though i'm not sure he's still yet cut out obe first choice left back just yet. Pacheco is crying out for a chance or two, the reserves is a s*** standard - leave a quality player there too long and he'll stagnate.

And it's not just the standard of the reserves that's bad, it's the fact that they don't play enough games. Think our reserve team have had 1 competitive match in the last 2 months. An absolute joke. Was also disappointed to see Babel come on instead of Pacheco.

yeah but we spent £18m on a defender, so we should have improved

Praying something happens tomorrow but........here's another frightening way to look at our transfer spending.

We've spent 32m now since Feb 07, the takeover, and we know that Torres cost was a special case as it was actually added to our debt with RBS. That means, excluding wages, just 12m from our overall turnover has been invested in transfers in 3 years from outside player sales. From CL proceeds, gates, other revenue, and all of that £12m was 2 years ago or more, so its not even realistically £4m a season.

Dozens of ways to look at the figures, but that strikes me as even more shocking in context.

Praying something happens tomorrow but........here's another frightening way to look at our transfer spending.

We've spent 32m now since Feb 07, the takeover, and we know that Torres cost was a special case as it was actually added to our debt with RBS. That means, excluding wages, just 12m from our overall turnover has been invested in transfers in 3 years from outside player sales. From CL proceeds, gates, other revenue, and all of that £12m was 2 years ago or more, so its not even realistically £4m a season.

Dozens of ways to look at the figures, but that strikes me as even more shocking in context.

I thought Babel's fee was similarly added to the debt (recall reports in The Times about it), which would account for 11.5 of that 12m.

The Pacheco situation is baffling.

I thought Babel's fee was similarly added to the debt (recall reports in The Times about it), which would account for 11.5 of that 12m.

IIRC, Babel and Torres were bought with money down totaling £24m of borrowed cash, underwritten with credit notes, which was then rolled up into the overall debt at club level. There was also a load more of 'working capital' debt added on in the first refinancing. .

The Pacheco situation is baffling.

Why? he has been on the bench for the last few games now

If Babel is staying until the summer, than he needs to play as well, a goal on saturday would have done him the world of good