Sign in to follow this  
Bromage

Topics for Tonight's Podcast

We're going to try something a little different tonight in the podcast, hopefully! We will discuss the derby game and the various performances and we'll look forward to next Saturday's game at Blackburn. If you're happy with that then fine but if there's something else relevant which you want to get on the agenda then please post it here and we'll talk about it.

This is YOUR podcast so GET INVOLVED!!!!

:disagree:

These may be questions rather than topics;

1. The development of Ngog.

My personal view point, which I have held for a while is that he is a decent prospect. I like his positivity. For example, his natural instinct when receiving the ball is to turn and face goal. If he sees a chance to take a player on, then he will do so.

In some respects, he is starting off like Baros, he is focused on turning with the ball and heading for goal, though the flipside of this 'equation' is that heading for goal is also heading away from your back-up support depending on the situation.***

Obviously he needs to be coached, but I think it is easier to coach this aspect of his game rather than a situation like for example Heskey, whereby there is no need to coach him in terms of laying the ball off but rather Emile needs to trust his abilities more in terms of his offensive play.

From the pieces I have seen of Ngog, he wants to be involved around the box, willing to take people on – won his pen against Birmingham and gets in and about the danger areas to get his goals.

He has scored a few goals now that have been the icing on the cake i.e. 3rd or 4th goals late in games whereby he has been sniffing in the right places. I only mention this because another so-called striker rarely puts himself in those positions.

***However for the Everton game, I think his positivity became a negative for the team. We were not getting up to support quickly at times and at others Ngog was sloppy but the result was we lost the ball very cheaply at times where we were under pressure. I wanted Kuyt moved to this role with Benayoun on right so that Kuyt could play it more simple and retain position and bit better and hopefully allow us to build attacks halfway inside their half rather than from deeper positions when the strikers have less support.

2. Lucas

I think this will be touched on in the review of the Everton game but I thought he did very well in midfield - he was robust in midfield when it came to the nitty-gritty. He tackled well and surprisingly, there were times when he was on the ball and he drew fouls because he wasn't easily taken off it. He also made some positive runs forward off the ball. Anyway, for me, it's a positive step for the guy and improvement is all we can ask for from him.

Edited by Rory Fitzgerald

Guest speker

Aquilani. Should he already be playing or is Rafa's cautious approach the best way to handle Aquilani's return to football ?

Aquilani. Should he already be playing or is Rafa's cautious approach the best way to handle Aquilani's return to football ?

You missed it mate, it was done about 8pm. This was touched on though

Rory's points were discussed. He even got a shout out

Get that podcast to David Ngog, it would do his confidence the world of good. I thought you guys talked him up really well and brought in the factors that not many (media) would consider i.e. Gerrard and Aurelio were off the pace.

Agree with the Lucas contribution i.e. great back up player but a kinda jack of all trades but not a world class player with his talents. I think it was Knox that hit on a point that said he would be good in the Man Utd set up - thats not wrong, he is almost the mirror image of Darren Fletcher and given that Utd love to stretch play with wide players and overlapping full backs and Rooney drifting then there is a need for that kind of player. Never thought of it like that. Will argue that with Utd fans and let them shoot me down, it has the legs of a good arguement.

At certain times this season, Lucas has been chosen ahead of Mascherano. Or put another way, Mascherano has been the one to get the hook and Lucas left on.

This could be argued that when the Sunderland game rolled around, Spearing partnered Lucas because Mascherano was away on international duty during the week (whilst Lucas was unused by Brazil therefore not as tired/fitter) whilst in other games, the feeling is that we have needed to win and Lucas was more attack minded.

Anyway, with Aquilani now a viable option and Mascherano coming back from his ban - who will lose out the most ?. Essentially, do people think Mascherano will be the person to suffer because (a) he wants to leave and/or (b) Rafa might actually take 20-30mln given our finances (instead of risking other higher profile players).

The reason I bring this up is because that is my expectation i.e. Mascher will be moved on and Lucas is getting a full blooding this season.

Sign in to follow this