By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

PRS for Music

richwilks

I'm working with a band at the moment and we've looked into joining PRS for Music so that we can start getting some royalties when the bands music is played on the radio and when they perform live.

Has anyone had any experience with PRS? And if so is it worthwhile?

The reason I ask is that the band gig on average 2/3 times a week and the extra income it could provide could be useful but I doubt that some venues actually pay PRS in the first place meaning that when we report live performances it could affect the venue if they aren't registered and could affect getting future gigs there.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has more knowledge on this than I do!

I have a tiny bit of knowledge, probably out of date now.

In my day you needed a minimum of three original songs published by a publishing company to qualify. While some venues report actual songs played, some don't and their licence contributions just get divvied up by the PRS according to ratios of music played elsewhere. It varies from venue to venue. If they do report songs then it's the venue that submit the PRS report, not you.

It might still work that way! Maybe others know.

In my day you needed a minimum of three original songs published by a publishing company to qualify.

Didn't have to be actually published, just released or in the process of, but as nowadays everything is "released" I guess the admission rules must be different.

It is mostly for TV and Radio but they've put more emphasis on live performance income in recent years as the industry shifted towards that.

Anyway, you get a very small amount per song performed based on venue capacity or attendance.

It won't be a significant amount until you hit 1000+ rooms and festivals, and by that point it should

be so dwarfed by the dough from tv and radio you would hardly notice it on the statement.

However, it is always worth joining.