By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Bikes

Tobes Rafa

Right, I want to buy a bike so I can take my 2 year old for rides round the country park and along the beach etc. The thing is, the last time I rode a bike it had 3 gears. I went into the shop at teh weekend and the basic model had 18! That made me realise that I know feck all about bikes. I thought a bike was a bike was a bike but after having a look on Amazon there are a lot of <3star reviews.

What is a good make for a cycle these days and how much should I be looking to spend?

The only criteria I have is that it is preferably a mountain bike and it has a solid saddle bar so I can mount the child seat.

Cheers

Unless you're going off road, which is unlikely with a passenger I suggest getting a city bike or, my preference a city bike crossover with a MTB sort of thing:

Y9C_70701_silver_080821.jpg

A MTB probably won't give good and safe solutions for a child seat and there is definitely no advance having broad tires when on streets. Also the posture you get from driving a MBT can get tiring on arms and shoulders. You tend to sit a lot more upright on a normal bike.

Don't be afraid of gears! They will help you to a much smoother ride. More comfortable for your passenger as well, you will wiggle a lot less if you can shift gears more precisely. 18 gears is fine. They do require slightly more maintenance however.

Also if you are going to use it for years to come and there is low risk of it being knicked I'd go for a good quality, pricier none.

Thanks Obey. That's exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for except perhaps a recommendation on a make/brand. Reebok ones on Amazon have a better review than Dunlop eg.

The guy in the shop showed me both options, ie. the the MTB and the city bike and to be hoenst I just don't like the look of the city bike. I am going to have a hard enough time psyching myself up to wear a dodgy looking helmet without having to come terms with riding something I'm not comfortable on - but your advice is much appreciated. The image you posted above isn't as bad as the ones I saw in the shop mind you!

Thanks

Thanks Obey. That's exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for except perhaps a recommendation on a make/brand. Reebok ones on Amazon have a better review than Dunlop eg.

The guy in the shop showed me both options, ie. the the MTB and the city bike and to be hoenst I just don't like the look of the city bike. I am going to have a hard enough time psyching myself up to wear a dodgy looking helmet without having to come terms with riding something I'm not comfortable on - but your advice is much appreciated. The image you posted above isn't as bad as the ones I saw in the shop mind you!

Thanks

The bike on the picture is a sort of sport crossover bike. Which is what I would chose. That particular model is a probably an expensive one, 27 gears and disc brakes etc. You should be able to find something similar but less pricey though.

Haven't gone shopping for a bike for years (currently ride a ~£80 piece of junk), and the brand are probably slightly different for you than over here so can't help you with that I'm afraid.

I'm sure he would love it! It's me I'm worried about. I'd be looking over my shoulder every 2 minutes to make sure he was still in it!

Get one of these http://www.chariot.eu/ pricey but absolutely worth it. Not sure about over there but here they keep their value for resale. We're going to sell our one seater for almost what we paid for it new.

harness system is second to none - my little 2 yr old loves it for trail riding.

I don't have the cross bar mount, but a couple of my friends who bike a lot got them for city riding. kids like it, they feel they have more control.

just remember with the trailer, if you crash, it stays upright, with the crossbar mounts (or the bike trainer) if you crash, so does your child.

Rikster

Those pics - the first one is a Bobike Mini seat attached to the handlebar stem and he'd be out of that by about 18 months unless he's a runt. Mine was in his from 5 months (riding around central London) and loved it. He really disliked going on the back as all he could see was my a***. For 18 months now now he has been in a Bobike Maxi which sits above the rear rack and attaches to the seat-tube. That takes them up to about 22kg. So basically, he's going to be on the back for a while.

Mini (at 6 months)

14snnmq.jpg

And again in a Mini (at 18 months)

5solt.jpg

My trouble is that he's just turned 3 and has about a kilo to go before he's too heavy for his current seat. So I am wondering what the next solution is. A Christianiabike trike?

Trailers are great but I wouldn't fancy one in town and am told that some kids hate them as they can't see very much, being so low.

My brother did LandsEnd to john O'Groats on one of them hybrid bikes and they are great. His was under £500 and is a Marin San marino. They do a whole range. Best get a rack and mudguards thrown in as you'll need both.

If you want really cool, try the hasebike Pino

pino_steel09_p.jpg

Edited by Tosh

Haha, thanks Tosh! My wee fella is 2 in May so I suppose that means I'll be looking at a seat on the back which suits me fine although as you say it's my a*** he'll have to look at. It was a rear seat teh guy in the shop was recommending.

I can't get over how much your lad looks like mine. Honestly, he is the spitting image! I can't wait to see him kitted out. I've really got the bug now that the longer days are coming in.

Thanks