• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last couple of league games sure, when he's been left out of the squad for supposed football reasons, but he's been part of pretty much every other squad we've put out this season and has got us points on the board. To say he's done absolutely nowt is wrong, as is not replacing him as an attacking option imo.

it is wrong, he scored 7 goals. no one is claiming he was great, but he had his moments and we are weakened by his leaving without replacement, which is what i can't get my head around. why not keep him till summer?

Well he wasn't really a 20m performing player was he? More like £4.50.

No you're right, of course he's gone from being a £20m player who the manager must have wanted, to being one worth next to nothing who the manager doesnt want 6 months later. Keane came to Liverpool as a proven goal scorer in the Premiership, the fact that this hasnt worked out says as much about the manager and his man management skills as it says about Keane, and leaves us with weaker options up front.

I dont buy this line that Rafa didnt want Keane, its been conveniently trotted out since things didnt turn out well. The dropping of Keane from the match squad has smacked of spite. So thats Keane gone, Dossena not making the starting 11, and the player we tried to get shot of being one of the best performers of the season so far - what a great summer that was.

it is wrong, he scored 7 goals. no one is claiming he was great, but he had his moments and we are weakened by his leaving without replacement, which is what i can't get my head around. why not keep him till summer?

Mike - I can see the logic in selling him now, but given this has probably been on the cards for at least a month (that Lawrenson-Gerrard conversation was about a month ago wasn't it?), surely we'd have been working to bring in a replacement even if only on loan.

we didn't decide to sell Keane yesterday - it's been on the cards for some time.

The last couple of league games sure, when he's been left out of the squad for supposed football reasons, but he's been part of pretty much every other squad we've put out this season and has got us points on the board. To say he's done absolutely nowt is wrong, as is not replacing him as an attacking option imo.

That's correct. The reaction to Keane on here has been over the top negative and blind to the good...he never had a chance, was caught up in a power struggle and it was just bad timing, simple as that.

Bad as he was in some games I dont trust any of our other back up strikers to score the goals we'll need to win the league.

If we'd any time to sign someone else now I'd suggest Kevin Doyle, he has a great attitude and I reckon he'd be a willing deputy for Torres.

Mike - I can see the logic in selling him now, but given this has probably been on the cards for at least a month (that Lawrenson-Gerrard conversation was about a month ago wasn't it?), surely we'd have been working to bring in a replacement even if only on loan.

we didn't decide to sell Keane yesterday - it's been on the cards for some time.

That's the point, a striker should have been brought in on loan.

Anyone else reckon the league game against Everton was the last straw for Rafa?

Edited by psl

a summer of transfer activity without equal:

the attempted sale of alonso.

the botched failure of trying to sign barry.

the purchase and sale of keane within 6 months (without replacement).

the purchase of dossena at a club record fee for a defender who can't make the team.

if the owners had any power parry would be sacked on this alone and rafa would be on dodgy ground.

i can see the logic in selling keane now only if we had a superior replacement lined up.

So when Pavlyuchenko, Keane, and Defoe are all fit who starts for Spurs? Bearing in mind that Keane and Defoe proved repeatedly that they don't play well together, it looks like it'll one of them starting with Pavlyuchenko and the other on the bench. And seeing how much those two both love being put on the bench...

Not our problem :thumbs:

the purchase of dossena at a club record fee for a defender who can't make the team.

if the owners had any power parry would be sacked on this alone and rafa would be on dodgy ground.

The only positive I can see with this level of ineptitude is that we kept Alonso.

That's the point, a striker should have been brought in on loan.

Anyone else reckon the league game against Everton was the last straw for Rafa?

It must've been. He was absolutely woeful and was immediately dropped from an eighteen man squad for the next match.

The Preston game might have had a big impact though. He was shocking that day as well.

Disappointing in a way we didn't get a replacement but at least we should see an end to the distraction that the whole Robbie Keane situation had become. Thanks, but bye you didn't do enough and lets now see the other squad players step up to the plate.

Great all we need now is an end to the Rafa vs Parry distraction, the Hicks vs Gillet distraction, the Gerrard vs the law distraction, and the club up for sale vs G&H fully committed to the club distraction and we'll have nothing to blame the sh*t performances on.

I dont buy this line that Rafa didnt want Keane, its been conveniently trotted out since things didnt turn out well. The dropping of Keane from the match squad has smacked of spite. So thats Keane gone, Dossena not making the starting 11, and the player we tried to get shot of being one of the best performers of the season so far - what a great summer that was.

Me neither, the most we can gleen is that Rafa wanted Keane, but didn't value him at £20m, There was no way Keane was signed by Parry against Rafa's wishes, LFC has not worked like that for 50 years. Once Keane was here, it should make no difference to Rafa how much we've paid if he wanted the player. Yet he clearly lost patience with him far earlier than the likes of Crouch, Kuyt etc.

I'm feeling quite chipper.

I made a number of enthusiastic first pumps when the deal went through.

I feel sorry for Keane as an individual, but it clearly wasn't working out and I think we've got a decent deal out of it. That no replacement has come in is unfortunate, but the story for the next four months would have been Keane. Every match would have focused on him - is he playing? If he's not, how's he taking it? If he is, how did he do? Did he prove his worth? etc.

We have a world class front two in Gerrard and Torres. Keane doesn't deserve to be in the side, and I think we've made the correct decision.

Agree with all that. Keane is a good footballer - you don't score the sort of goal that rescued us a point at Arsenal without being a good footballer. I'm disappointed it hasn't worked out for him, and I can see that he doesn't fit into our preferred system, but why the f*** did we spend £20m on him in the first place?

And all those idiots on here who think we won't miss his contribution, despite the fact that he under performed, are just showing themselves up. He scored 7, had a few assists, played a big part in victories at Goodison and Stamford Bridge and against Utd. And now apparently it's ok because we've got Ngog as back up. Do me a favour.

We were more likely to win the title this year with him in the squad then with 15 million in the bank that we can't spend till the summer. That's the bottom line. And winning the title is all I care about.

Dunno why Rafa would be if the rumours of Parry signing Keane over his head are to be believed, explains a lot of what has and is going on. Dossena and Degan were at best second choice.

Seems to me that Rafa used him in his power play against Parry making it impossible for Keane to stay...a strategy that may well come back to haunt him - but that's the game,, I feel sorry for Keane but support Rafa against Parry every time.

Agree with all that. Keane is a good footballer - you don't score the sort of goal that rescued us a point at Arsenal without being a good footballer. I'm disappointed it hasn't worked out for him, and I can see that he doesn't fit into our preferred system, but why the f*** did we spend £20m on him in the first place?

And all those idiots on here who think we won't miss his contribution, despite the fact that he under performed, are just showing themselves up. He scored 7, had a few assists, played a big part in victories at Goodison and Stamford Bridge and against Utd. And now apparently it's ok because we've got Ngog as back up. Do me a favour.

We were more likely to win the title this year with him in the squad then with 15 million in the bank that we can't spend till the summer. That's the bottom line. And winning the title is all I care about.

in a nutshell.

But if that option is s****, not replacing it isn't as big a deal

Depends on your view of Keane I guess