By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Keane

Molby

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a very high price to pay for a manager's ego

Wtf? If Benitez had thought that Keane would score us goals or help us to win games he'd have played him more often, left him on, and kept him. He came to the conclusion that he wouldn't do those things.

'ckin ego, my ar/se.

12m is the price quoted on 5live

and selling a quality striker mid season is madness and a very high price to pay for a manager's ego

Like i say i dont believe that figure. Why sell him now when we cant spend the money. Would have been better to keep him til the summer than take that sort of loss. I just cant see that figure being correct.

Like i say i dont believe that figure. Why sell him now when we cant spend the money. Would have been better to keep him til the summer than take that sort of loss. I just cant see that figure being correct.

It seems to be coming from Spurs who cannot lie being a plc, should be confirmed tomorrow morning.

Only Gerrard and Torres have scored more than him this season. Find it very odd that people are rubbing their hands with glee at him going, bearing in mind he is leaving poorer players behind.

No doubt he will start banging them in for Spurs when he starts playing for a manager who makes every effort to manage him differently to Rafa. I heard Harry on Radio 5 before already starting to big him up.

Keane, who departed White Hart Lane for an initial £19m with a further £1.3m of potential add-ons, is understood to have cost Tottenham an initial £12m. That fee will rise quickly to nearer £16m with further ambitious add-ons, linked to silverware he claims at Spurs, to see up to £19m change hands again.

That's from the Guardian.

So effectively £16M 'guaranteed' income.

Wtf? If Benitez had thought that Keane would score us goals or help us to win games he'd have played him more often, left him on, and kept him. He came to the conclusion that he wouldn't do those things.

'ckin ego, my ar/se.

Yet when we bought peter crouch, he failed to score for months, Benitez (rightly) backed him all the way and in time crouch settled in. Yet with Keane we pay 20m, not a word of doubt from the manger about the purchase who then systematically dismantles any hope the lad had at settling in. Scored two goals after a drought recently and was then benched the next game

If thats not ego what is

I said before, Keane was not the problem - benitez's ego was and this could cost the club because in terms of experienced quality strikers we are light with one of the most important seasons ahead of us in years

We haven't sold a quality striker though. We've sold a striker who wasn't good enough.

His premiership record suggests otherwise, Rafa stated that he thinks Keane will be here after the transfer window and weakening the squad for a title run in doesnt make sense, we could of got the same fee now as in the summer. I hope the reason to sell him isn't a decision taken above Rafas head.

it looks as if its 15m plus 4m addons.. Even if we sold for 15m we have dodged a bullet because in the summer we would not have got 8m as the value would keep depreciating like a bitch.. if anything we have got rid of a player who was absolutely useless for us

:lol:

b******s

No doubt he will start banging them in for Spurs when he starts playing for a manager who makes every effort to manage him differently to Rafa. I heard Harry on Radio 5 before already starting to big him up.

Good for him if he does. 'Arry would prove what a truly great manager he is.

Yet when we bought peter crouch, he failed to score for months, Benitez (rightly) backed him all the way and in time crouch settled in. Yet with Keane we pay 20m, not a word of doubt from the manger about the purchase who then systematically dismantles any hope the lad had at settling in. Scored two goals after a drought recently and was then benched the next game

If thats not ego what is

I said before, Keane was not the problem - benitez's ego was and this could cost the club because in terms of experienced quality strikers we are light with one of the most important seasons ahead of us in years

Let's not overlook the fact that we won that game 5-1 and absolutely trounced the opponent. Rafa's decision that day was more than vindicated by the result.

I thought you were joking the first time. You really think/know he's gone for single figures?

I'm pretty sure the £10m we owed doesn't count towards the total cost of transfer, it's just wiped out. Officially, as in to the stock market, the transfer cost somewhere from £2-6m, which means it doesn't have to be declared.

He deserved more time to prove his worth, imo. He hasn't been very good, but worse players have been given longer to adapt - and dropping him after scoring on more than one occasion won't have helped him settle.

The only justification for selling him now was if his attitude was so bad (beyond moaning at his team-mates on the pitch and when getting subbed) as to affect the squad, which I doubt was the case (especially given Benitez's determination to sign players with the right attitude; or if we had signed a worthy replacement, which it seems we haven't.

For the sake of a couple of million (if that), we really should have kept him till the summer; if Torres gets injured, we could be putting league, Champions League and FA Cup challenges at risk. And who knows if we're even going to see that money again, what with H&G in charge?

I think a lot of people here are happy with him going purely because (much like Pennant) he comes across as a bit of a pillock, rather than because of his football ability/that the circumstances were right.

Edited by mrshah

If thats not ego what is

Here we go again.

Crouch played well, and played his nuts off when he wasn't scoring. He looked a really good footballer. He then got lazy and his head went west and Rafa got shut of him. Keane went straight to the last part, with only minor glimpses that his head wasn't right up his own ar/se.

Maybe it's Keane's ego, maybe it wasn't. Maybe he's just not took his chance and has gone back to where he came from.

I'd well back the manager's judgement after the displays I've seen from keane. He's been as frustratingly bad to watch as Paul Stewart was.

£12 million might be the up front figure but everyone is reporting there are clauses that increase that initial figure.

I guess we'll never know the exact amount we paid or received for him.

'......is understood to have cost Tottenham an initial £12m. That fee will rise quickly to nearer £16m with further ambitious add-ons, linked to silverware he claims at Spurs, to see up to £19m change hands again.' Guardian.

linked to silverware? wouldnt bank on spending that money in Keanes lifetime then.