Dunno why Rafa would be if the rumours of Parry signing Keane over his head are to be believed, explains a lot of what has and is going on. Dossena and Degan were at best second choice.

Because Rafa must have wanted Keane, Dossena and Degen - Parry doesnt just go out and spend £27m on a whim, and not without the manager knowing about it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a summer of transfer activity without equal:

the attempted sale of alonso.

the botched failure of trying to sign barry.

the purchase and sale of keane within 6 months (without replacement).

the purchase of dossena at a club record fee for a defender who can't make the team.

if the owners had any power parry would be sacked on this alone and rafa would be on dodgy ground.

They can't sack Parry, Hicks tried remember.

The problem is, we don't know where the blame lies. Rafa wants more powers in transfers, yet we always thought he had it, it was just the negotiating (which Rafa should not be involved in) which was up to Parry.

The Alonso and Barry transfers go hand in hand, and if Parry was the one who refused to pay £18m for Barry and receive £14m for Alonso, then as wrong as it is for Rafa not to have final say on footballing matters (assuming we could afford it) but I am with Parry on that one.

Dossena might be OK yet, if not he won't be the first quality player to fail to settle in a foreign country, you can't predict that.

The whole Keane thing is shambolic, and if it had been chelski or newcastle, we'd be bandying the phrases 'laughing stock' and 'circus' around. It's not just a case of buying a player who didn't work out and selling him on. It's indicative of problems within the club and does not reflect well on anyone involved (Rafa and Keane in particular)

I made a number of enthusiastic first pumps when the deal went through.

I feel sorry for Keane as an individual, but it clearly wasn't working out and I think we've got a decent deal out of it. That no replacement has come in is unfortunate, but the story for the next four months would have been Keane. Every match would have focused on him - is he playing? If he's not, how's he taking it? If he is, how did he do? Did he prove his worth? etc.

We have a world class front two in Gerrard and Torres. Keane doesn't deserve to be in the side, and I think we've made the correct decision.

Well happy here too.

It's like a new signing, in an inversely bizarre way.

Seems to me that Rafa used him in his power play against Parry making it impossible for Keane to stay...a strategy that may well come back to haunt him - but that's the game,, I feel sorry for Keane but support Rafa against Parry every time.

I actually think there were 3 reasons why Keane was sold during this window. Firstly money - there is no doubt we would have lost a lot more on him in the summer. Secondly I think he was becoming a negative influence around the dressing room (not a happy bench warmer) Thirdly Rafa realised he didnt offer him the options he was looking for

the purchase of dossena at a club record fee for a defender who can't make the team.

if the owners had any power parry would be sacked on this alone and rafa would be on dodgy ground.

worst transfer window since 2002

Edited by surf

Don't forget the complete cripple who is likely costing us in the region of £40k per week to top it off. Why you'd sign a player who is permanently f*cking injured even for free is beyond me, it really is bloody lunacy.

For all the c**k-ups in the transfer market we're still doing better than last year though!

Edited by Leo No.8

I really can't understand people being 'well happy' at losing a player who has offered us glimpses (and who has previously shown he has the talent required) when we've brought no one in. It can only have a negative effect.

We could have got the money in the summer and if people are that fussed about the TV cameras showing him in the stands, they really need to grow up a bit.

Edited by psl
I really can't understand people being 'well happy' at losing a player who has offered us glimpses (and who has previously shown he has the talent required) when we've brought no one in. It can only have a negative effect.

We could have got the money in the summer and if people are that fussed about the TV cameras showing him in teh stands, they really need to grow up a bit.

I'm hoping there's one or two players who consider themselves closer to first team action now that pointybo11ocks has got off and will have a proper pop at it. I'd have liked a replacement but we've got some squad players who can offer 'glimpses' as well. It's not like we've got no subs left at the club.

We could have got the money in the summer and if people are that fussed about the TV cameras showing him in the stands, they really need to grow up a bit.

Nor me, its bizarre. Lot of bandwagon jumping imo.

I'm hoping there's one or two players who consider themselves closer to first team action now that pointybo11ocks has got off and will have a proper pop at it. I'd have liked a replacement but we've got some squad players who can offer 'glimpses' as well. It's not like we've got no subs left at the club.

Who? N'Gog? Pacheco? Do you think we're more likely to win the league with them in the squad than Keane?

:lol:

But if that option is s****, not replacing it isn't as big a deal

Depends on your view of Keane I guess

Well if you've been looking to move him on for a while, at least two weeks overtly, probably much longer, surely there is something you can sort out. Whatever we were trying to do or could have done, improving a players form, improving on an out of form player, improving on a player or just moving the player on, I think we've hit the wrong button. He was far from completely useless, and we should have had something lined up before shifting him on.

It must've been. He was absolutely woeful and was immediately dropped from an eighteen man squad for the next match.

The Preston game might have had a big impact though. He was shocking that day as well.

If Rafa made such snap decision on a couple of games, we'd hardly have anyone left in the squad. Dossena for one wouldn't be here.

is right. Some proper histrionics on here. Who the feck is 'embarrassed'?

I'm not embarrassed, I'm sad. We've apparently broke our transfer record for a player that the manager has constructively forced out the door less than six months later due to a conflict with our chief exec. How is that not a very bad situation for LFC? Specially as we are / were in with out best chance of winning the league in years.

Me neither, I am sad to see Keane go as I really want all the players we sign to work out, and when we sell players of quality, then it makes it worse. Yes, he should have learnt that the cameras would be on him every time he was subbed, but who want's players happy to sit on the bench?

We were virtually playing with 10 men when Keane was on the pitch anyway.

That's not fair. He played very poorly against Everton and Preston but he's looked better in other games.

In any event, I'm not disappointed to have lost Keane but really think that he should have been replaced, even if only by a loan signing.

Edited by psl
Who? N'Gog? Pacheco? Do you think we're more likely to win the league with them in the squad than Keane?

Benayoun looked dead positive yesterday, Babel might get more of a chance up front, then there's the ones you mention and El Zhar who can buzz about around the front line.

I would sooner send our dog on than keane, I wouldn't expect him to do any more than the others so I'm glad we got the majority of our money back and can move on.