• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He definitely makes mistakes, every manager does. I'm not disagreeing there.

But people were calling him to be proactive and that he play Babel and Benayoun more, he dropped Kuyt and played Yossi. In the game, people were slating him for getting in Keane..when he did they shifted their attention to Gerrard being taken off! You want him to take a fullback off when they have three strikers up the pitch? Bringing Keane on for a defensive mid and moving Gerrard back makes more sense but no one knows how fit Gerrard was after the shift he had put in. Torres looked f***ed by the time he was subbed as well.

There was no way that we would have seen this thread if Lucas hadnt made a mistake there with eight minutes to go....very similar to Benayoun's one the other day. Judge a manager at the end of a season, unless he's doing VERY VERY poorly, thats what i have to say.

Problems like why are we hoofing more and more aimless balls to Torres and why have we lost the ability to defend a lead have to be addressed first. Individual mistakes need to be cut out.

But we still have to play them and can wipe out the game in hand advantage. I don't think we'll win the title from here but the fact is that it is still in our hands.

i agree but do you think the lack of confidence will let us.. At the start of the season when we pulled back in games like at man city Benitez made positive substitutions.

we'll all be bitterly disappointed if we don't win the league.

second place + the FA Cup would be alright though, and the Champions League would be absolutely fantastic.

if we finish 4th with no trophies then I'll understand people calling for the manager's head.

which is fair enough

at the moment we have had an awful month but we still in this race, and thats what most of us wanted this season

mebbes.

he'll still be judged on results though, and that's the only way it can be.

agree, but a fault of Rafa seems to be his eagerness to get involved in disputes/arguements, maybe if we were more of a settled ship he could spend more of his energy on what he is good at.

I have a feeling if we drop away without a fight he will walk anyway.

which is fair enough

at the moment we have had an awful month but we still in this race, and thats what most of us wanted this season

Hard to see it that way though.

But, fwiw, if Benayoun had have put his foot through it, if Torres was as quick with his feet as he is in his head at the mo, if Lucas had have jockeyed his man...I'd have been made up.

Small margins and all that.

Still, what a tw*t of an ending that was. I was sure Reina would save that as well.

Sh*t.

He can't deal with pressure at all and was bought the upcoming pre-eminent football force by Laporta/Rosell.

There's not going to be a sacking mid-season and if you trusted our current owners we'd end up with Curbs or Billy Davies.

Take a chill pill, yes its a blow and maybe fatal for the title but there's nothing to be gained for shouting for random sh**e like Rijkaard.

cant deal with pressure. what planet are you on.. He won titles and CL with a team who were in doldrums before he took over.

Hard to see it that way though.

But, fwiw, if Benayoun had have put his foot through it, if Torres was as quick with his feet as he is in his head at the mo, if Lucas had have jockeyed his man...I'd have been made up.

Small margins and all that.

Still, what a tw*t of an ending that was. I was sure Reina would save that as well.

Sh*t.

pens got saved all over the place tonight, too.

make no mistake that draws cost us last season and they are doing that to us right now and there is a pattern like we had a game at anfield against wigan last season.. we controlled the game but because of a one goal lead got nervy and bramble scored.. what is going on.. its 3 am and i am f***ing pissed off because we have failed to learn the lessons of last season

cant deal with pressure. what planet are you on.. He won titles and CL with a team who were in doldrums before he took over.

That team fell apart around his ears for the last two years of his reign and he let it happen and did nothin even with Messi and Ronaldinho on his side.

They won the CL cos of Lehmann's madness and had imploded between the semi and final.

Its a daft call and downright clueless.

Are we challenging despite Rafa though?!

Man U have not had a great start to the season, by their own standards.

Chelsea have struggled.

I think we're challenging more to the fact are rivals have struggled than our team picking up more points than usual.

Precisely.

Lets be honest we have not been playing well all season. We are still around the top due to the above and some frankly undeserved nicked wins earlier in the season, Wigan, Boro, City etc (and the novelty of beating Chelsea & the Mancs for once)

I am not one for stats but I would have a decent wager that points wise we aren't very much better off than last season. We're a point above Villa and 4th is not a foregone conclusion.

Rafa's rant has preceded 4 draws including Wigan and Stoke and just 3 goals.

It's grinding to a halt.

You change the manager now and we're starting again, maybe we'll lose some of the Spanish players maybe not but any new manager will want his own players.

We're not far away the core of the team is very strong, but the style of football we play does walk a thin line sometimes. If your going to play a more defensive style of football you simply cannot afford to lose 1-0 leads the whole point of playing that way is you get the goal and your almost impossible to break down.

I think everyone is aware our attacking options aren't good enough, when you play with basically 4 attacking players you need much more consistency than we're getting from the 2 wide players.

The substitution thing is getting pretty frustrating, surely the whole point of using subs is to change the course of a game so how you can go into games with almost pre-determined substitutions im not sure. Ok if we're 2 up with 10min to go give Gerrard a rest but taking him off at 1-1 makes little sense to me, im not sure what 10 min rest is going to do sometimes i think he treats the condition of the players to scientifically, if Alonso is at 95% thats still more than a 100% Lucas hes just bringing problems onto himself.

Overall though i think we have to stick with Rafa i just don't see the alternatives being any better, hes built the core of a very good young team i know we've been saying this for a few years but we're a couple of good attacking players away from being a very good team, lets not forget we've still only lost 1 game this season in the league, the difference between winning and drawing a few is very small.

But he doesn't do himself any favours at the moment with some of his decisions.