Stevie H

tonight's movie choice. . .

40 minutes ago, guernseygareth said:

The Other Guys always raises a smile in our house. 

Wanted to like it, cast is very good, but as with a lot of modern comedies, it’s overlong and a bit indulgent of its stars.

Side discussion, comedy movies were such a huge part of my youth, very often they were blockbusters - what’s happened? Seems to me you either get really base, first draft stuff like Holmes & Watson or navel-gazey dramedies like King of Staten Island.

Neither appeal to me. Think the last  one I really enjoyed was Bridesmaids. Has comedy changed that much in the last 30 years? Maybe.

Good chat. 

Films have changed in general. 

What happened to all the star vehicles, the book adaptations that tended to have at least three major players supported by the studio's character actors? There were more ensemble cast pieces similar to American Hustle but the video and dvd rental market died, cable TV and streaming services took over and we're left with the CGI blockbusters and the occasional Oscar vehicle. 

Demi Moore got $20m for Disclosure and does that even get made now?  Same for Frankie And Johnny with Pacino and Pfeiffer 

It's simar on TV, which has changed since the writers strike 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cymrococh said:

Watched a great documentary on the Jonesy box VOD, Sherpa. About the lives of Sherpa on Everest with a focus on the deadliest day in the history of climbing the mountain.

I love a climbing doc, and the perspective of this one is excellent.

Watched that. Really interesting.

obviously they’re treated very badly 

30 minutes ago, Earl Hafler said:

Google the films of 1993 and compare it to recent years 

I bet people were saying the same things in 1993 about films made in 1966

21 hours ago, cymrococh said:

Watched a great documentary on the Jonesy box VOD, Sherpa. About the lives of Sherpa on Everest with a focus on the deadliest day in the history of climbing the mountain.

Have you seen Touching the Void?

13 minutes ago, Beardsley said:

Is that poking your finger through the bog paper when you are wiping your ass?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Beardsley said:

Brilliant doc

Read the book as well if you've not already. Doesn't reveal anything big the doc missed but adds loads of detail 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, McBain said:

Brilliant doc

Read the book as well if you've not already. Doesn't reveal anything big the doc missed but adds loads of detail 

Absolutely. The book is very good also. 

Yeah, it's a classic. My cousin does some climbing and knew the fellas involved, he said the one who cut the rope was called 'Slasher' ever since.

• Haha 1

Ford vs Ferrari 

Excellent

Dark waters 

Very Good

Edited by Hassony

On 28/06/2020 at 21:38, cymrococh said:

The Wedding Singer is good.

Watched that again recently. Love it. Steve Buscemi with one of the great cameos too.

As far as Ferrell goes, Anchorman made me laugh as much as any comedy of the past few decades. Step Brothers is great too, and Old School is stupid but funny. Agree about the wedding band. Proper laughed at that.

Ferrell is good in Stranger than Fiction and Everything Must Go too. He does make some s*** though. That Eurovision thing looks worse than anything else 2020 has thrown up. 

Edited by Swipe

17 minutes ago, Falconhoof said:

Disaster Artist. Great performance from Franco

Book is really good too. 

Went to see The Room twice in nyc. The first time my wife made us leave because she was sure someone in the audience was about to launch an attack. 

Edited by Swipe

7 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Watched that again recently. Love it. Steve Buscemi with one of the great cameos too.

As far as Ferrell goes, Anchorman made me laugh as much as any comedy of the past few decades. Step Brothers is great too, and Old School is stupid but funny. Agree about the wedding band. Proper laughed at that.

Ferrell is good in Stranger than Fiction and Everything Must Go too. He does make some s*** though. That Eurovision thing looks worse than anything else 2020 has thrown up. 

Yeah, forgot Everything Must Go - Ferrell was decent in that. 

I know many didn't but I quite liked some of his cameo in the US version of The Office too - not a film tho obviously. 

47 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Book is really good too. 

Went to see The Room twice in nyc. The first time my wife made us leave because she was sure someone in the audience was about to launch an attack. 

I’m not sure I could watch The Room all the way through. 

Do you think your wife just wanted to leave and made up an excuse

16 minutes ago, Falconhoof said:

I’m not sure I could watch The Room all the way through. 

Do you think your wife just wanted to leave and made up an excuse

She found the whole thing weird. Lots of nerds in the crowd, people in costume, throwing things at the screen etc. She doesn’t share my love of things that are brilliantly bad either. Then there was one lad in a rucksack who kept getting up and done from his seat. It was a little odd tbf. She just couldn’t settle so we left. 

Next time we went Tommy made an appearance. Was in a class old cinema in the LES too. Loved it.

I’d recommend watching it all. It’s so brilliantly madly awful.

52 minutes ago, Tommok said:

I know many didn't but I quite liked some of his cameo in the US version of The Office too - not a film tho obviously. 

It was a really odd cameo I thought. Even the fact he’s called DeAngelo. 

Edited by Swipe

On 28/06/2020 at 22:13, Jarg Armani said:

Old School is pretty s*** but the wedding band was one of the funniest things I’d ever seen at the time i first saw it

the bit were theyre doing the tasks to stay in school and ferrell dresses as the mascot and tries to leap through the ring of fire made me laugh a lot..

On 29/06/2020 at 09:18, cymrococh said:

Just came across this the other day - worth a watch, highlights the plight of the porters who are paid a pittance for what they do and treated so poorly 😥

Its called - "K2 and the Invisible Footmen" on Youtube