tonight's movie choice. . .

• Replies 22.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tell me about it, and now we have it on this forum, not getting likes and laughing smileys for a post can really hurt someone's self esteem 

Teen Wolf. Still sublime. 

Did you watch Up and Downfall first? Wouldn't really make sense unless you had the whole series.

Huuugely overrated movie.

Am inclined to agree.

It is a great story but not a great movie, if that make sense.

Jaws is my favourite film ever...

I love The Great Escape and Lawrence of Arabia... Mainly for sentimental reasons as I watched them a lot when I was younger with my Dad... But think they are both fantastic films.

Pulp Fiction is up there for me too

Jaws is so s*** it is good.

Great Escape...lacks a good ending.

Not seen Pulp Fiction in ages, not sure how it will have aged.

Raging Bull

Apocalypse Now Redux

Goodfellas

It’s a Wonderful Life

True Romance

Raging Bull and It's A Wonderful Life - yes

The others - No

Perfect seems a strange tag for anything artistic. As we all know Jaws is the greatest film ever made but there are a couple of bits you could pick fault with but then.....why bother?

It's not my favourite film and I don't consider it the best film but I'm not sure you could cut anything out of it. Everything about it is absolutely spot on - it's design is almost faultless

It's not my favourite film and I don't consider it the best film but I'm not sure you could cut anything out of it. Everything about it is absolutely spot on - it's design is almost faultless

Well there's a shark that has a grudge for 3 losers on a boat. Now I like sharks but you know.....

Has anyone seen Citizen Kane? I never have but it seems to get a lot of votes for the best movie of all time.

Yep I've watched it a fair few times. Technologically speaking it's a masterpiece. The actual narrative isn't hugely gripping but that might also be because it's been so heavily parodied and replicated in modern media.

Similarly I spoke to some friends recently who watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time and didn't enjoy it partially because it's been homaged by other films/shows so much none of it seemed new.

To close a circle; I didn't get the angst - hate - from a few pages above for Joker due to reverence for the traditional canon and the character's need or otherwise for an origin story or alternative take. Just take the film, character etc. on its merits; I suppose I couldn't think of a work of art or fiction I was so invested in to care that much. Then I saw the trailer for Dr Sleep, a sequel(?) or retelling or reworking of (the perfect) The Shining.....currently making plans to hunt down and kill anyone involved in making it, even before I've seen it. You will want to join me.

A Matter of Life and Death is the very definition of perfect, The Third Man also.

Edited by JRC

I agree wholeheartedly but have equal feelings and position with regard to 'Some Like it Hot'.

That film hasn't aged at all. Same can be said of the Jack Lemmon/Walter Matthau films. Great chemistry between them. The kids watched The Front Page the other day and thought it was fantastic.