By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Proven

Andy @ Allerton

How do you say this word?

I've been hearing (Mainly Scottish) people on the radio saying proven (pro-van) which just sounds very weird. But recently I've noticed more radio bods saying it like that (Pro-van).

I'm used to hearing it said as (pru-vun) and that's the way I say it as well.

Is it a regional thing - where do you live/come from and how do you say it?

How do you say this word?

I've been hearing (Mainly Scottish) people on the radio saying proven (pro-van) which just sounds very weird. But recently I've noticed more radio bods saying it like that (Pro-van).

I'm used to hearing it said as (pru-vun) and that's the way I say it as well.

Is it a regional thing - where do you live/come from and how do you say it?

Yep, pru-vun for me as well.

First thing I thought of.

Prove pronounced like Provo is likely to be an earlier pronunciation. Sh*t became sh*te in English's Great Vowel Shift, as the man says, but does anyone know how the [o:] sounds were treated ?

Not so sure about that? Sh!te has been used up here for donkeys and its only quite recently that it seems to have entered the language in Ingerlund.

I was under the impression that at least in the North of England Shyte (in it's variant forms) had been used since Anglo-Saxon times, being supposedly a derivative of the Germanic 'Scheisser'. My adoptive Dad's favourite curse when things went wrong was 'Sh*t, Shyte and sugar!' which always made me laugh, and he reckoned that gis own father (whom he picked it up from) used to 'get leathered' by his Gran for 'being common'. Now as My dad's died aged 92 died in 1968 then his dad must have been getting twotted by his Gran at least circa 1850 and possibly earlier - and where did his dad's dad get it from?