By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

HELP!

Duncan Disorderly

Any good tips on how to get rid of a Trojan that's feckin my pc at home?

Downloaded Spy Sweeper via Dell, but the quarantine doesn't seem to have worked cos I'm still getting the warning which has replaced my wallpaper and all the icons are highlighted. The feckin Trojan itself seems to be continually popping up Spyware links.

Downloaded Spy Sweeper via Dell, but the quarantine doesn't seem to have worked cos I'm still getting the warning which has replaced my wallpaper and all the icons are highlighted. The feckin Trojan itself seems to be continually popping up Spyware links.

If you can't get shot of it - your best bet is to backup your needed info (You'll probably be suprised how little there is that actually needs to be backed up) to a secondary drive/DVD etc.

Then format your harddrive and reinstall windows from scratch.

To be honest I do that every couple of years anyway - you'll be amazed how much s**** you'll get rid of that you don't need and you'll also probably get a decent speed increase from your pc.

When it's back up and running - restore your saved data.

I think I had that one. Do you have a virus checker ? If so that should point out the offending file, also your spyware should tell you what is being written to your registry.

Run the virus checker, then delete the registry entries that were detected as spyware and reboot in safe mode and you should be able to delete the infected file. Reboot in normal mode mode and check the registry again. If you are successful the registry entries wont have come back. That's what I did anyway and it got rid of it. It seems to recreate the registry entries every time you reboot so you can't get rid of it by cleaning hte registry.

Edited by Woodsyla

If it's the one where the hazard symbol is on your desktop screen then the only way of getting rid is by using Smitfraud Fix.

Google that, or else go to geekstogo.com and they'll sort you.

Or doing what I did above which also fixed it the problem.

Or doing what I did above which also fixed it the problem.

I tried your solution and it didn't work on the virus I had. The smitfraud exe fixed it in minutes after I spent around two days trying to get rid.

It's a nasty little fecker that's for sure.

Edited by Boca

I tried your solution and it didn't work on the virus I had. The smitfraud exe fixed it in minutes after I spent around two days trying to get rid.

You obviously weren't doing it right :bleh:

Fair enough, I read somewhere that smitfraud itself was spyware and once on your machine it started sending stuff off to all and sundry so I steer clear of recommending it myself.

Just to add, I think you have to quarantine the little fecker using your virus checker before the safe reboot and delete, forgot to mention that above.