Racist kids cant understand woman in veil

What if that is the fault of those with the prejudice?

The idea that veils indicate "separateness" is a very ignorant one. Do all modes of dress have to conform to something that doesn't alienate a proportion of society? Sounds like a very pernicious argument to me.

'Hoodies' were banned from Bluewater and it wasn't challenged. Motorcyclists are forced to remove their crash helmets before they enter a petrol station. Anyone who went in to a bank with a balaclava on would almost certainly cause the clerks to sound an alarm. In our society we are expected to show our faces to reassure whoever it is we are about to engage in conversation, I wholeheartedly agree that the veil causes suspicion and anxiety.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't see the wave of mulsim-bashing in the media that has been building for the last year then you are David Blunkett's less ocularly gifted brother at the bottom of a coal mine. For a group that represents a tiny minority in the UK muslims have been all over the papers and tv news for months. Everytime one furore dies down another is ignited - not by the islamic community either - usually by some parliamentary / local government nitwit or other.

there is a media bias against islam but it's not conspriacy being lead by the government. Also if this isn't at all stired by some tiny part of the islamic community then who are those people waving placards and feeding the media frenzy?

Because there's a culture that develops once those waves of immigration lose a sense of being from somewhere else. After three hundred years the Norman nobles who ruled England had become English and their culture was different from that of the nobles of Northern France. That's just one example.

My dad was an immigrant. I wasn't.

Yeah, but what does that indigenous culture consist of? It consists of an amalgamation of different cultures imported from abroad. That is a continuous process which has been going on in these islands for thousands of years and is continuing to this day. There is no "threat" or "danger" from Islamic belief and culture, it (along with many other cultures/religions) has become part of British culture.

You don't come from a country that tolerates Islam, you come from one which is now part-Islamic. Only a very tiny amount though, and not one which warrants even a hundredth of the press coverage generated in recent years.

Did you think that two weeks ago or until you were asked to "debate" it?

There is no debate about this and the whole argument comes out of a government-sponsored idea that Muslims are now fair game. If you can't see the danger of that, then I don't know what else to say about it.

Just re-reading that Coyler and sorry but it's total b*ll*cks. The dress of one teacher doesn't necessarily indicate the faith-based nature of education in the school, or even what that particular teacher is teaching. It indicates her own religious belief, nothing more. Is there any indication that she was forcing her belief on her pupils? You know, the way those black-skirted inadequates in Christian Brothers' schools go about their job??

:unsure: Jesus, Des. Go and piss on your old head brother's grave or something and calm yourself down a bit.

Nobody asked me to debate it, as a non-UK resident I'm doing so out of the kindness of my heart.

I suggest that this woman hiding her mouth on religious grounds from the kids she's apparently teaching how to speak is more of a direct 'faith-based' detrimental effect on their education and development than being taught properly by the equivalent speech-therapy (or whatever) teacher in a nominally Catholic school, even if the latter is teaching them how to say the Hail Mary as practice.

because you get so irate on differing opinions, or because you simplistic slander against me of being a racist nazi has you imagining me to be waltzing around with horns an image that just terrifys you?

You don't terrify me, you're just a very boring little racist.

there is a media bias against islam but it's not conspriacy being lead by the government. Also if this isn't at all stired by some tiny part of the islamic community then who are those people waving placards and feeding the media frenzy?

People pissed off with being picked on for no valid reason?

'Hoodies' were banned from Bluewater and it wasn't challenged. Motorcyclists are forced to remove their crash helmets before they enter a petrol station. Anyone who went in to a bank with a balaclava on would almost certainly cause the clerks to sound an alarm. In our society we are expected to show our faces to reassure whoever it is we are about to engage in conversation, I wholeheartedly agree that the veil causes suspicion and anxiety.

How many veiled women do you see on a daily basis TanMan?

:unsure: Jesus, Des. Go and piss on your old head brother's grave or something and calm yourself down a bit.

Nobody asked me to debate it, as a non-UK resident I'm doing so out of the kindness of my heart.

I suggest that this woman hiding her mouth on religious grounds from the kids she's apparently teaching how to speak is more of a direct 'faith-based' detrimental effect on their education and development than being taught properly by the equivalent speech-therapy (or whatever) teacher in a nominally Catholic school, even if the latter is teaching them how to say the Hail Mary as practice.

But it's a total non-issue Coyler.

That's stretching it, but the impact of immigration on British culture is enormous.

That is true and taking Afro-Caribbean immigration as an example it has, after 2-3 generations, fully integrated with (not into) the existing society, enhancing it I might add.

Not saying that the same will not happen with the Muslim culture but there has to be some given and take, no?

Yeah, but what does that indigenous culture consist of? It consists of an amalgamation of different cultures imported from abroad. That is a continuous process which has been going on in these islands for thousands of years and is continuing to this day. There is no "threat" or "danger" from Islamic belief and culture, it (along with many other cultures/religions) has become part of British culture.

You don't come from a country that tolerates Islam, you come from one which is now part-Islamic. Only a very tiny amount though, and not one which warrants even a hundredth of the press coverage generated in recent years.

We basically agree. I have no problem with immigration and have before on here expressed my pride at coming from a mongrel nation.

People pissed off with being picked on for no valid reason?

people like this?

cartoon-protest8.jpg

it's these people who are turning the muslim people of this country into pantomime villians. The media report the story

if such men were not there to film there would be no story.

I think all such media storys flow from the one event of the total overaction over the danish cartoons.

Edited by spion_kop2

and we've all integrated. :D

Integrated into what? You think there is a homogenous culture in the UK? Is Liverpool the same place as Bristol the same place as Newcastle, or Glasgow, or London? Maybe people only "integrate" as much as they are allowed to.

Watch the personal abuse in this thread please

I don't see any.

Edited by Des

people like this?

cartoon-protest8.jpg

it's these people who are turning the muslim people of this country into pantomime villians. The media report the story

I'm trying to find a link to the poster weilding baddie that spurred Jack Straw on to his comments last week. Can you help?

Integrated into what? You think there is a homogenous culture in the UK? Is Liverpool the same place as Bristol the same place as Newcastle, or Glasgow, or London?

I don't see any.

pretty much yeah, i've been to them all. well london is a bit different due to the high amounts of 1st generation immigrants.

I'm trying to find a link to the poster weilding baddie that spurred Jack Straw on to his comments last week. Can you help?

i'll have a look. My point is not that these people pop up every single time an muslim story appears but there has been a consistant feeding off such men who promote these views, they seek the media out to create these schisms for the seperation they want.

people like this?

cartoon-protest8.jpg

I think all such media storys flow from the one event of the total overaction over the danish cartoons.

yeah i know what you mean,but still there is a level of labelling going on that you dont normally see.....the CIRA or RIRA for example no one is saying that all irish catholics agree with them but the feeling at the moment seems to be you cant trust any muslim, all being tarred with same brush.

i'll have a look. My point is not that these people pop up every single time an muslim story appears but there has been a consistant feeding off such men who promote these views, they seek the media out to create these schisms for the seperation they want.

Are you a member of any political organisation? Just curious, like.