Racist kids cant understand woman in veil

But it's not up to people outside a religion to decide that other people should be denied the right to practice theirs in whatever way they see fit if it isn't causing harm to others.

What happens if it is causing harm to the practitioners though. Is there a "no meddling" policy then?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it's not up to people outside a religion to decide that other people should be denied the right to practice theirs in whatever way they see fit if it isn't causing harm to others.

What if its causing harm to themselves?

beat me to it...

Edited by Eskimo

What happens if it is causing harm to the practitioners though. Is there a "no meddling" policy then?

I think so, yeah. Although the annual number of deaths-by-turban and deaths-by-veil is obviously a serious issue which ought to be addressed. :rolleyes:

I think so, yeah. Although the annual number of deaths-by-turban and deaths-by-veil is obviously a serious issue which ought to be addressed. :rolleyes:

So you couldn't imagine a situation where a religion might encourage its practitioners to indulge in potentially self-harming activities? I didn't mention death by turban or the horrors of hijabitis, by the way. I was considering the possibilities of a group who might encourage female circumcision or similar.

Edited by DanielS

What if it harms integration as has been suggested?

What if that is the fault of those with the prejudice?

The idea that veils indicate "separateness" is a very ignorant one. Do all modes of dress have to conform to something that doesn't alienate a proportion of society? Sounds like a very pernicious argument to me.

Religious practice and its impact on a secular society? I think so.

If you think Britain is a secular society I think you're wrong. The broad base of cultural values in the UK are still Christian values. It takes more than a century or so to eliminate embedded ideas and values like that.

I would have thought that a woman trying to teach kids how to speak from behind a (presumably opaque) religious veil is more of a direct example of faith-f*cked education than a nominally Catholic school, Des.

Edited by Coyler

So you couldn't imagine a situation where a religion might encourage its practitioners to indulge in potentially self-harming activities? I didn't mention death by turban or the horrors of hijabitis, by the way. I was considering the possibilities of a group who might encourage female circumcision or similar.

...or refusal of blood transfusions.

I would have thought that a woman trying to teach kids how to speak from behind a (presumably opaque) religious veil is more of a direct example of faith-f*cked education than a nominally Catholic school, Des.

Did you think that two weeks ago or until you were asked to "debate" it?

There is no debate about this and the whole argument comes out of a government-sponsored idea that Muslims are now fair game. If you can't see the danger of that, then I don't know what else to say about it.

Edited by Des

Don't agree. It has been wholly shaped by centuries of immigration.

That's stretching it, but the impact of immigration on British culture is enormous.

There is no debate about this and the whole argument comes out of a government-sponsored idea that Muslims are now fair game. If you can't see the danger of that, then I don't know what else to say about it.

I don't think teachers should be able to veil the faces for any reason. But I do agree that the government does seem to have decided that a little Islamophobia might be politically expedient at the moment.

Just re-reading that Coyler and sorry but it's total b*ll*cks. The dress of one teacher doesn't necessarily indicate the faith-based nature of education in the school, or even what that particular teacher is teaching. It indicates her own religious belief, nothing more. Is there any indication that she was forcing her belief on her pupils? You know, the way those black-skirted inadequates in Christian Brothers' schools go about their job??

Edited by Des

:wacko: of course we've all been blind to the obvious agenda of the government to destroy all musilms, why didn't we see it before.

That's stretching it, but the impact of immigration on British culture is enormous.

How is it stretching it? There isn't a single person on these islands who isn't here as a result of one wave of immigration or another.

:wacko: of course we've all been blind to the obvious agenda of the government to destroy all musilms, why didn't we see it before.

If you can't see the wave of mulsim-bashing in the media that has been building for the last year then you are David Blunkett's less ocularly gifted brother at the bottom of a coal mine. For a group that represents a tiny minority in the UK muslims have been all over the papers and tv news for months. Everytime one furore dies down another is ignited - not by the islamic community either - usually by some parliamentary / local government nitwit or other.

How is it stretching it? There isn't a single person on these islands who isn't here as a result of one wave of immigration or another.

Because there's a culture that develops once those waves of immigration lose a sense of being from somewhere else. After three hundred years the Norman nobles who ruled England had become English and their culture was different from that of the nobles of Northern France. That's just one example.

My dad was an immigrant. I wasn't.

Guest sniffer

he needs help regardless

with regards to the ability to teach I think thats down to how skillful she is as a teacher, there are plenty of teachers who don't wear veils yet they still not able to communicate properly with their students.

Hang on a minute. Wasn't she employed as a classroom ASSISTANT which is not quite the same thing. She was there to act as an interpreter? And here's another poser. Can someone tell me just how it will be possible to introduce ID cards/new passports when those who refuse to show their face in public cannot then be identified by showing their face? Or is it just the normal citizen who will be forced to provide the necessary detail and another rule will be introduced for those who refuse on religious grounds?

There's no point in you asking me any questions cos I'm not going to answer them.

because you get so irate on differing opinions, or because you simplistic slander against me of being a racist nazi has you imagining me to be waltzing around with horns an image that just terrifys you?