Racist kids cant understand woman in veil

Why should people be forced to accept anything about religion? It seems that, no matter how unreasonable a person's behaviour is, if it's done in the name of a religion then we're expected to tolerate it and not criticize it.

If I was to walk round with a paper bag over my head (in case men oggled me) I'd probably be sent to a psychiatrist. But cover your head for the same reason in the name of religion and suddenly it's okay :wacko:

It's the 21st century for goodness sake and history has proved that this superstitious nonsense (aka religion) causes nothing but trouble

so suddenly because we are in the 21st century we have to lose all relegious beliefs and all traditions? does the sikh turbine also bother you or is it only Hijab?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back to the woman with the veil

she clearly was just a woman in fancy dress, perhaps a chavette or some other kind of white trash

see, if she was observant enough to wear a veil then she would obviously not be allowed, as a woman, to operate machinery such as cars

The BBC reported yesterday that this woman turned up for her job interview at the school with no veil at all AND the interview was attended by a man. Rather demolishes her stance if this is true, I should have thought...... :hmm:

so at the interview they thought that she is good enough for the job, she is still the same person with or without the veil

so at the interview they thought that she is good enough for the job, she is still the same person with or without the veil

Do you not think that wearing a veil might have a negative impact on her abilities as a teacher?

I'm sure it must do. Regardless of the religious arguments I think her students have to be suffering from the fact they can't see her face and mouth.

it's like me going to an interview clean shaven and then turning up to my new job in a beard, it would just look suspicious and i would of attended the interview under the false pretense of being beardless.

why do you trust bearded people, i don't and if one turned up for an interview i'd not employ them.

stretching this poor joke a bit far now.

I don't distrust Muslim women who wear veils. I just think that when teaching, especially when teaching a new language, it's important for students to be able to see a teacher's face and mouth movements.

Not sure if you're trying to be funny with the bearded men comment. If you're not, then you need help.

Edited by £440,000

I don't distrust Muslim women who wear veils. I just think that when teaching, especially when teaching a new language, it's important for students to be able to see a teacher's face and mouth movements.

Not sure if you're trying to be funny with the bearded men comment. If you're not, then you need help.

he needs help regardless

with regards to the ability to teach I think thats down to how skillful she is as a teacher, there are plenty of teachers who don't wear veils yet they still not able to communicate properly with their students.

he needs help regardless

with regards to the ability to teach I think thats down to how skillful she is as a teacher, there are plenty of teachers who don't wear veils yet they still not able to communicate properly with their students.

Indeed there are. I think with language learning especially being able to see the teacher's mouth moving and how certain sounds are made is very important though.

Yes of course.

Thats why the sides of roads are littered with burnt out cars wherever you look. They do it on purpose, especially when they have their kids in the car with them. In Arab countries, they only have a 50/50 chance of reaching their destination without getting lost in the desert and hitting a camel.

Saw someone driving wearing a pair of sunglasses once adn another one wearing a baseball cap. Seriously.

Funny that, last time I was in Saudi, the roads were quite literally littered with burnt out cars from high speed accidents.

Weird thing was though, it the man of the house would always be the driver out there, even if it meant a 10 year old kid sitting on a box on the front seat using a stick for the pedals. Seriously.

So I guess on that basis I can't add anything to the does/doesn't it obscure the vision argument.

Edited by boohog

The conspiracy theory kicks in when you watch the news item the way it was protrayed on ITV yesterday...

Reid is shown talking about 'those who warp young minds to make them terrorists and how they must be watched and clamped down on', then women in veils including a picture of one in a classroom are shown as part of the same montage (none of them speak, their voices are drowned out by the voiceover) then a 'what is to be done?' editorial consludes the piece.

Every single person interviewed on the streets of Blackburn on Look North West (the only medium that seems to present a balance on this issue and gives veiled women an opportunity to speak), when asked 'have straws comments brought cultures together or driven them apart' has answered the latter.

Lovely debate though isn't it?

I agree that this debate isn't about the wearing of the veil as much as it is a chance for the media and the public to vent their anti-Muslim feelings. Muslim is becoming synonomous with terrorist and extremist in too many people's minds. Straw's comments weren't even reported properly. The press twisted what he said towards their own ends. I suspect that in the end it's not even about Islam as much as it is about skin colour.

I agree that this debate isn't about the wearing of the veil as much as it is a chance for the media and the public to vent their anti-Muslim feelings. Muslim is becoming synonomous with terrorist and extremist in too many people's minds. Straw's comments weren't even reported properly. The press twisted what he said towards their own ends. I suspect that in the end it's not even about Islam as much as it is about skin colour.

I disagree to a degree. Its about skin colour in so much as its about "foreign". Nationalism is getting a run out in Europe again, but this time its Old Europe vs Foreign rather than individual countries.

Yet if the media warped straws comments about, say, blair or brown's ability to run the country or new labour policy then you could bet your bottom dollar he would be all over the media to 'clarify' his comments and shout down any 'debate' before it even got going. He's been remarkably smug, even for him, about all this and again it was only Look North West that followed him round his constituency on Friday as he went back to his surgery for the first time since the comments. He looked very uncomfortable each time he was buttonholed after another shouty meeting with his own constituents.

Yet if the media warped straws comments about, say, blair or brown's ability to run the country or new labour policy then you could bet your bottom dollar he would be all over the media to 'clarify' his comments and shout down any 'debate' before it even got going. He's been remarkably smug, even for him, about all this and again it was only Look North West that followed him round his constituency on Friday as he went back to his surgery for the first time since the comments. He looked very uncomfortable each time he was buttonholed after another shouty meeting with his own constituents.

I wasn't defending Straw. His comments were unnecessary and thoughtless.

And now there's that other minister jumping on the bandwagon and trying to make a name for himself by saying the teacher should be sacked "for the sake of the children's education". :lol: Seems like New Labour are queuing up to bash Muslims verbally at the moment, though how many physical bashings that leaves Muslims open to remains to be seen. There are reports already that racist attacks have gone up since Straw opened his fat mouth.

And now there's that other minister jumping on the bandwagon and trying to make a name for himself by saying the teacher should be sacked "for the sake of the children's education". :lol: Seems like New Labour are queuing up to bash Muslims verbally at the moment, though how many physical bashings that leaves Muslims open to remains to be seen. There are reports already that racist attacks have gone up since Straw opened his fat mouth.

you can't blame straw for these attacks, he was only trying to help :wacko:

so suddenly because we are in the 21st century we have to lose all relegious beliefs and all traditions? does the sikh turbine also bother you or is it only Hijab?

You completely missed the point and, as per usual with some people, tried to turn my comments into an anti <insert name of religion> statement. My point was that certain behaviours taken outside the context of religion are deemed unacceptable but as soon as they're claimed to be part of a religion then suddenly it's okay and nobody should be able to criticize.

No religion stands up to the close scrutiny of 21st century science, common sense or reason which is why they all make criticism a 'sin'. It's self protection and allows religious leaders to maintain their control over people. Common sense in this situation is that men are NOT constantly staring a women, being able to see a person's face and reactions enhances communication and, for the hard of hearing, being able to see a person's lips is essential.

As for the turban....in most situations I couldn't give a toss since in general they are not an impediment to anything. However I do recall the fuss re. motorcycle helmets vs turbans and in that context my reaction was the same. It is common sense to wear a safetly helmet when moving at speed and to endanger your own life by refusing to wear one because of some ancient superstition is ridiculous.

Thank goodness that a proportion of the human race has seen sense and been prepared to challenge all this nonsense - else the planets would still apparently be revolving round the earth :rolleyes:

Edited by Janet

It is common sense to wear a safetly helmet when moving at speed and to endanger your own life by refusing to wear one because of some ancient superstition is ridiculous.

But it's not up to people outside a religion to decide that other people should be denied the right to practice theirs in whatever way they see fit if it isn't causing harm to others.