By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The Sun

Spike

This has nothing to do with Hillsborough but should anyone think that the rag has changed their ways then think again.

As it gets closer to the anniversary my own experience has come to the fore - not least because Ste is a keen supporter of the HJC. He was only four at the time but came to know more than I did about the campaign, and he is a regular in here.

Anyway...

When I was first over in Crete and making our own investigations one of the many things that came up amongst our conversations with workers out there was the Albanian immigrants. Seemingly they targetted tourists for petty theft, the odd beating etc.

I happened to mention this when I was talking to the Echo and they published it amongst several other lines about where Ste may be - hospitals, jails, suffering from amnesia and so on.

Then one day, the day that we organised the search, my Bro-in-law called. The Sun had been onto him and he'd passed on my details. Would I talk to them? My initial response was 'No' but the BIL reinforced the fact that the rag was one of the most popular rags in Crete. I said that Ste wouldn't want any part of it, and although he agreed he stressed the need for pubicity over there. I said I'd speak to a few folks and call him back. So I texted a few forumites and they said ' don't worry this is an exception' or words of that ilk. Phoned the old man and he said that Ste wouldn't want it, I mentioned my BIL's opinion and of those I had got in touch with to see what they thought. We decided to speak to them.

That afternoon my mobile rings and it went something like this:

Me: Hello

Cockney w***** Gary: Hi is that Chris? It's Gary from the Sun

Me: Hi

(CWG then asks some general background questions and how things have gone so far... )

CWG: I hear you think that Albanians have taken your brother. Tell me about it

Me: Well..no, there is nothing concrete. That is just a likelihood as is him having gotten amnesia, having got into a taxi and gone somewhere else, having been attacked, taken to a hospital, a jail, or walking up to the mountains.

CWG: So what about the Albanians though?

Me: That is just one thing that one or two people have mentioned out of the many we have talked to. As I say it's one of a number of possibilities. He could be in the mountains, could have been taken to hospitals or...

CWG: But the Albanians gangs roaming the streets, that seems the most likely

Me: Well, no. Anything could have happened.

CWG: S what do you think has happened?

Me: Well any of the above situations that I have mentioned.

CWG: So you don't think it has anything to do with Albanian gangsters?

Me: As I said, it could be anything and Steve could be anywhere

Having failed to get the angle he wanted he soon fecked off. I must admit we did hear stories of Albanian gangs, but we had heard the same about Greek gangs and so on and talking about it would only isolate us from any potential help we needed.

The Sun cared f*** all about our search or how effective it was. They had the circulation for sure but with their editorial agenda it would only have served to piss people off and ruin the search for Steve.

c**** the lot of them.