By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

PC Gaming

Awrence

There are soooo many of these gaming websites I have no idea what is a good one. I've seen Gamespot and IGN but they are so overly fangled and awkward.

Any suggestions? I'm quite happy with hig-brow, but preferably not pretentious like Edge!

I've just completed F.E.A.R. (incredible), and am about to clock Half-Life 2 (so far so good) and need a replacement game if I'm not going to get bored over Christmas! Got FM2006 and am thinking about Rome : Total War...help!

Call of Duty 2

1124277[/snapback]

seconded...

though if you thought F.E.A.R. was incredible then get Quake 4, thats just as s***.

F.E.A.R. was the worst game I have played in ages, I had to complete it to see if it actually had a good ending. It wasn't even scary.

Posts merged:

What games websites do you guys trust?

1124301[/snapback]

Metacritic

thats a pretty good site, as it brings together scores from a load of websites and averages them out... also it has public reviews where anyone can do a mini review of a particular game..

not just games either, music and films too.

seconded...

though if you thought F.E.A.R. was incredible then get Quake 4, thats just as s***.

F.E.A.R. was the worst game I have played in ages, I had to complete it to see if it actually had a good ending. It wasn't even scary.

1124304[/snapback]

Really! The walking around bits were a bit boring, but the fights were absolutely incredible...

Really! The walking around bits were a bit boring, but the fights were absolutely incredible...

1124307[/snapback]

the fights were exactly the same throughout....

initially I thought it was great.. but then I picked up on the fact that it was all routined, and the AI initially looked great, but once you knew how they were going to act then it all got repetitive..

the level layout was shocking too... I was skipping vast rooms that were for no purpose whatsoever because doorways in to the room and out of the room were right next to each other... bizarre..

The noise and interference that happened whenever the little girl was around really kinda ruined the scariness as you just expected it, and eventually you'd be like 'oh theres that little girl again', or even missed her completely because you aren't looking exactly where she has appeared.

I have been playing Condemned on Xbox 360, which was by the same makers of F.E.A.R., it shows more potential but still aint great.

the fights were exactly the same throughout....

initially I thought it was great.. but then I picked up on the fact that it was all routined, and the AI initially looked great, but once you knew how they were going to act then it all got repetitive..

the level layout was shocking too... I was skipping vast rooms that were for no purpose whatsoever because doorways in to the room and out of the room were right next to each other... bizarre..

The noise and interference that happened whenever the little girl was around really kinda ruined the scariness as you just expected it, and eventually you'd be like 'oh theres that little girl again', or even missed her completely because you aren't looking exactly where she has appeared.

I have been playing Condemned on Xbox 360, which was by the same makers of F.E.A.R., it shows more potential but still aint great.

1124319[/snapback]

I see what you mean...the level layout was absurd, and the little girl thing got silly. I think I just enjoyed the graphic slaughter. Maybe I should just spend my gaming money on counselling?

I see what you mean...the level layout was absurd, and the little girl thing got silly. I think I just enjoyed the graphic slaughter. Maybe I should just spend my gaming money on counselling?

1124338[/snapback]

heh, its well worth spending the cash on that...

I just play cutesy platform games now :pinocchio:

Fears class but easy even on the hardest setting.

I use Gamespot for reviews. I mainly look at the reiews from people of actually bought the game.

A few games that are excellent.

Rome: Total War

Civ4

BattleField 2 + Special Forces (you hae to play these online)

Eurogamer is a good Uk based reviews site

I'd definately recommend Call of Duty 2 and if you're into strategy then Civ 4 is my game of the year.

You should be able to get No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 on budget and they're both excellent - spoofs of 60's James Bond - very highly rated games and the graphics on the second are pretty good even by todays standards.

get counter strike, you'll life with happily dissapear.

1124250[/snapback]

Glad I'm not the only one. Man that's addictive.

Always dubious of other players though. They seemed to 'not die' even when shot in the face, whereas I on the other hand, well, one shot and I', GAAAWWWWNNNN.

Great game though.

HL2

Rome Total War

Call of Duty

all of them are excellent.

I've also got Doom III but not played it yet. Any thoughts on this anyone?

I've also got Doom III but not played it yet.  Any thoughts on this anyone?

1124686[/snapback]

Might be my monitor, but I found the graphics unnecessarily gloomy. I'm all for surprises in games, but when you get killed by something you can't see I tend to get a bit annoyed.

BF2 is my personal fav at the moment, but if you want something like FEAR, then Quake 4 is OK, quite samey after awhile but the online play is aces.

Far Cry is a great shout, try picking up Deus Ex cheap from somwhere, awesome, awesome shooter/RPG, best game I've ever played with some pretty cool mods made now.

Looking forward to (hopefully) getting Civ 4 after Xmas and if I can save enough up to get a new ATI X800 XT Graphics card, then COD2 as I love the original and expansion pack.

If you haven't played Chronicles of Riddick, you definately should.. a fantastic action game, and probably the only good movie-based game ever? The graphics are on par with the very best, it has a decent story and the action is brilliant. Think you can get in pretty cheap now too.