By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Going Vegan

Leo No.8

So after a couple of years as an on and off vegetarian I’ve decided to take the plunge and try to go full vegan.

A Netflix documentary called Game Changers put me over the edge, it definitely seems to have huge health benefits as well as the ethical and environmental stuff,

Any other vegans on here? It seems like the options are much better now. I’ve ordered my lunches for work from a company called Allplants as that will make it easier.

Kahnee is a vegan these days. Not that he posts on here all that often any more.

I've just eaten filth (fry-ups and takeaways) for the last few days and am feeling in need of a serious dietary kick-up the a***. Normally I have a fairly decent level of fruit and veg in my diet (about 50% vegetarian meals) but I've really gone off the rails this last week or so and feel awful as a result.

I have a lot of admiration for anyone who goes vegan. it can't be easy and I know I'd miss too many non-vegan foods which are a regular treat.

Good effort Leo.

I went pescatarian over the summer mainly for environmental reasons. Thought the step to veganism was too big to do all in one - for me anyway.

Thanks mate! And Pip :thumbs:

I’ve spent a couple of years going between pescatarian, vegetarian and then slipping back into eating chicken and fish - but it’s tough to change your habits completely when you grow up eating meat every day.

I’ve rarely eaten red meat during that time, but I found it hard to avoid chicken and seafood. So all being well this is the end of a long process (I’ve failed plenty of times)! I really want to stick with it now and a couple of friends are doing the same so hope we can help each other along.

I’ve set a target to get to Christmas first. It’s usually having a hangover that makes me slip, but I’m going to prepare well for the day after next time I go drinking!

Edited by Leo No.8

Been Vegetarian approx 23 years and in the last year have cut out cows milk for the most part by switching to Soy/Almond/Coconut milk which has been no issue. Eggs and cheese are the big hurdles for me and ones I want to conquer but I doubt myself

Edit. Can't add up

Edited by McBain

I’ve been vegetarian for a year. Don’t drink cows’ milk or have it in tea etc.

Giving up everything that contains dairy would be too hard though I think.

I'm in the exact same boat. I think you can still enjoy things like cheese in moderation. People like Joey Carbstrong think that's as bad as being a full on meat eater though.

The hardest part is dealing with the homophobic-edged 'not a lad' type s*** that some people level at me without retaliating.

I'd really like to do this, or at least go vegetarian, but neither of my kids will touch vegetables, so we'd be in the boat of having to make seperate meals for us and them.

The amount of meat free products is amazing nowadays. Sainsburys is excellent. Iceland also do a great 'no bull' range with fake sausage rolls and nuggets and the like. Even if you just cut down a bit it's a good first step.

I'd really like to do this, or at least go vegetarian, but neither of my kids will touch vegetables, so we'd be in the boat of having to make seperate meals for us and them.

That's kind of inevitable but doing the same meal for all but swapping out one person's meat for a non meat substitute is easy. I've been doing it all my adult life save the times I lived alone.

My wife eats meat and my 4 year old does (kind of) but we all share meals

If the kind of thing you eat is a 'one pot's kind of thing like pasta or curry it is trickier but still doable it just takes more planning

The hardest part is dealing with the homophobic-edged 'not a lad' type s*** that some people level at me without retaliating.

Push-backs around food, waste, energy and travel are often tied up in toxic masculinity. It's really interesting.

I bought some vegan cheese this morning so will have to see how that works out! Not overly optimistic...coffee with hazelnut milk is no chore though, it’s lovely.

Waitrose has a great range of vegan and veggie stuff, it’s a shame that it only seems to be the more expensive supermarkets that offer these kind of options.

And fortunately Wagamama has a great vegan menu! Another thing on the comfort food side is I found I liked curry more as a vegetable version than the with meat in.

So after a couple of years as an on and off vegetarian I’ve decided to take the plunge and try to go full vegan.

A Netflix documentary called Game Changers put me over the edge, it definitely seems to have huge health benefits as well as the ethical and environmental stuff,

Any other vegans on here? It seems like the options are much better now. I’ve ordered my lunches for work from a company called Allplants as that will make it easier.

Well done Leo. Brave step and hope it works for you. 

Game Changers contains a hell of a lot of cherry picked science, its an interesting watch but its extremely one sided. 

Decent take down here. https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a29067926/the-game-changers-movie-fact-check/

My favourite bit is where he trashs the meat industry for funding favourable scientific studies then heavily and repeatedly references one that states hamburgers impair blood flow and increase inflammation - that study was paid for by "The Hass Avocoado Board"  :D

Cheers mate. I think that’s all ok - I’m sure it is one sided but nothing in the rebuttal really says that it’s bad thing, just that meat isn’t the devil it’s being made out to be.

I don’t think ultimately it can be a bad thing for your health moving to a plant based diet, which for me is a bonus when added to the environmental and ethical reasons.

I've lapsed back into my old habits after more than a year with no red meat. Sheer boredom really, not liking most vegetables and hating salads hasn't helped, the diet got so repetitive I just gave up.

Well done to you though Leo.

As a veggie for the last 30 years the trend for veganism is quite something to see.

Leo. Don't get stuck buying ready made stuff from Waitrose (ya posh get!) Get busy with some cook books otherwise you'll be negating a lot of the health benefits.

Also from an environmental standpoint still do your research as just because something is vegan doesn't necessarily make it better for the environment.

Cheers mate. I think that’s all ok - I’m sure it is one sided but nothing in the rebuttal really says that it’s bad thing, just that meat isn’t the devil it’s being made out to be.

I don’t think ultimately it can be a bad thing for your health moving to a plant based diet, which for me is a bonus when added to the environmental and ethical reasons.

Yeah, it being a bit one-sided shouldn't sway you if you've decided - I was just adding some balance to the documentary.

And great point about he environmental impact.

I'm in the exact same boat. I think you can still enjoy things like cheese in moderation. People like Joey Carbstrong think that's as bad as being a full on meat eater though.

Piers Morgan...

I couldn't go full-on vegan; I do like meat & dairy. I don't eat a great deal of meat but I do find every now & then I am craving it, maybe it's something to do with running a fair amount - every now & then I just need it.

But I'm aware of how much water goes into a pound of beef & it's terrible. Not dissimilar though are almonds which suck up water & they sensibly grow loads in California

Piers Morgan...

I couldn't go full-on vegan; I do like meat & dairy. I don't eat a great deal of meat but I do find every now & then I am craving it, maybe it's something to do with running a fair amount - every now & then I just need it.

But I'm aware of how much water goes into a pound of beef & it's terrible. Not dissimilar though are almonds which suck up water & they sensibly grow loads in California

Yer man off the BBC Simon wotsisface was on about this other week. About how there's loads of folk in California with no access to drinking water. as the major growers are tapping into wells deep in to the ground. He also said a lot of the ground had sunk and it was the biggest man made movement anywhere across the planet 

Yer man off the BBC Simon wotsisface was on about this other week. About how there's loads of folk in California with no access to drinking water. as the major growers are tapping into wells deep in to the ground. He also said a lot of the ground had sunk and it was the biggest man made movement anywhere across the planet

This is the basis of the (disappointing) third series of Goliath on Prime.

I’ve been vegetarian for 20 years, it’s easier now than ever before, there’s loads of choice at almost all supermarkets if that’s what you’re after Leo.

I need to cut out the dairy as reconciling tolerating the dairy industry but not the farming of animals for the purposes of eating is difficult.

It’s really weird why some people think they have a right to comment on what you put in your body, and behave in a hostile way because you don’t eat animal products is really bizarre. It’s toxic, what is it that they are threatened by?

Oh and Leo remember no leather or wool either

I’ve been vegetarian for 20 years, it’s easier now than ever before, there’s loads of choice at almost all supermarkets if that’s what you’re after Leo.

I need to cut out the dairy as reconciling tolerating the dairy industry but not the farming of animals for the purposes of eating is difficult.

It’s really weird why some people think they have a right to comment on what you put in your body, and behave in a hostile way because you don’t eat animal products is really bizarre. It’s toxic, what is it that they are threatened by?

Is true that. 

Again - I think about Morgan and the screech he had on twitter about Greggs doing vegan pasties. Like he's trying to validate his manhood and how cool he is.

Exactly the same. Been vegetarian 27 years and really should be vegan by now. Thinking I might give myself Christmas and then go for it.

Some long term veggies in here - impressive guys!

I’ve bought a vegan cookbook (The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook) as I definitely agree with Boon earlier that you could end up eating a lot of plant based but processed stuff if you’re not careful.