By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Stadium Expansion

New York Red

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atm there isn’t one business that could be viable there

Everything works around match day and that isn’t enough to support a good hotel

The like of TIA can do ok cos the buildings were bought cheap and there was enough space to add bar facilities outside that could take a lot of money

There’s a triple whammy going on here:

Very low income local population, with the usual associated problems

Lack of transport ie rail station

Lack of secure parking

Which means that you’re up against it for both a local operation and a destination venue

Atm there isn’t one business that could be viable there

Everything works around match day and that isn’t enough to support a good hotel

The like of TIA can do ok cos the buildings were bought cheap and there was enough space to add bar facilities outside that could take a lot of money

There’s a triple whammy going on here:

Very low income local population, with the usual associated problems

Lack of transport ie rail station

Lack of secure parking

Which means that you’re up against it for both a local operation and a destination venue

You have an office around there don't you Molby? What do you think could be done to really regenerate it? 

You kind of feel like something should have replaced the Vernon Sangster as well. Could you build an olympic size pool/aquatics centre behind the ARE, maybe with offices/shops etc? 

I wonder if that is what the delay is about. If it is, then I don't see why the club can't come out and say they want to do the best for the area and it is taking extra time. 

You have an office around there don't you Molby? What do you think could be done to really regenerate it?

You kind of feel like something should have replaced the Vernon Sangster as well. Could you build an olympic size pool/aquatics centre behind the ARE, maybe with offices/shops etc?

I wonder if that is what the delay is about. If it is, then I don't see why the club can't come out and say they want to do the best for the area and it is taking extra time.

Agree about the Vernon Sangster

Basically it needs a ton of funding but it’s hard to spend public money efficiently and so called experts who don’t actually contribute much end up getting half the money in an advisory capacity

If something was built on that site with an emphasis on sport/education then it would have roots

And it would be a viable destination venue as it would have secure parking and it would have the scale to be sustainable

Our serviced offices have those attributes and are on the same site as ASDA and Home and Bargain but still it took a near miracle, some exceptional circumstances and a bit of grant funding to get them up and running

Defo wasn’t ore-planned and came off the back of a complex property deal that didn’t work (f*** off Primary Care Trust)

All roads lead to a station imo, especially with the chronic lack of public resources being made available - needs a kick starter

Another way would be to fast track 10000 Syrian immigrants in, with a few local rules to promote social harmony of course

They’d regenerate it like they’re doing in Lodge Lane and London Rd

It’s going to be a weird looking Anfield. A bit like St James Park.

Molbs, talking about the train service, do you mean in the context of an ARE expansion or something bigger like a SKD expansion too? If the latter, we’re talking about a 10-15 year plan.

I’m talking about how to regenerate an area that’s so poor and deprived

Needs a station and some kind of mega sports/education facility

To understand how difficult it is, look at Bootle

it has a station, is close to town,has Hugh Baird College and it’s still a s*** hole

Were they not basically pointless though? The footprint of a potential stand that side would need to be that big that you'd need the next road over as well I think.

Irrelevant. Owning the ground around the ground makes sense - especially when you own it. Ridiculous decision to sell. Just like the council decisions around the area too.

That whole area should be regenerated by the council. The stadium provides greater profile than it would otherwise get. An opportunity to regenerate continually missed.

I'd rather people lived in the houses as opposed to them being boarded up and being a blight on the area which is something that the club has contributed to over the last two decades.

That is fair. Given we owned them though, you’d think they would clear the land as open space, car parking, something.

I know what you mean Growler, but it’s not easy this. ‘We’re going to knock three rows of houses down and make a car park.’ Wouldn’t have gone down well.

James Pearce did a Q&A at the weekend and suggested the new capacity will be 61k. If that’s true, the Moore interview hinting at more will be viewed as a mistake I think.

You can be critical of FSG, they should have had a mid to long term plan in the first couple of years for the whole stadium. The Main stand was, as Mike said, ‘lipstick on a pig’.

But they do tend to get things right eventually, after going through the dithering stage, the ‘we know better’ stage and the ‘why is everyone protesting stage’, the penny drops. I think they realise how important this is, and after the concert thing how carefully they need to tread.

What about people having homes?[/quote

I thought the homes belonged to Liverpool?

They did. But there's a national housing shortage and those are very decent homes. Knocking them down for a car park wouldn't be a good look.

No longer a possibility, but knocking them down for a new stand, and landswapping to build an equivalent number of homes would have been preferable obviously.

Ok I’m gonna quit while I’m behind...

We need a bigger stadium whilst being respectful to the people who live nearby and have a responsibility to the economic viability of the area and we should be holding the council accountable for their part too. Transport, services etc to maximise the opportunity of having Liverpool and Everton based here.