By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Doing good for the environment

Sir Tokyo Sexwale

Thought we could have a thread where we could share things we do that don't totally f*** the environment. For example - I recently read that the bog roll many of us use - the 'luxury triple ply' is absolutely f***ing with forests and there's a company making bog roll from bamboo which is sustainable, they use no plastic & seem to be doing things right. They're called Who Gives a Crap - and available both in the US & UK

https://us.whogivesacrap.org/

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've sold my speed boat and I've decided to use reclaimed materials for my new breakfast bar

also I'm moving to rural France, where it's greener and there are no chavs

I will also set up a generous direct debit to a new political party whose stated aim is to assassinate the leaders of countries who do not commit to global warming limits

that said, the likes of Boris might just nod and say "yes we agree" but not do much, so this aspect will need to be reviewed in due course

I put literally tons of horse s*** into my garden to improve the soil and have planted loads of trees and hedges to step up the human to plant balance.

I've also started washing my hair with shampoo bars instead of using bottled shampoo.

And on the other hand I've been on a plane about a dozen times this year and I had a barbecue last night so I'm probably massively in debit overall.

I put literally tons of horse s*** into my garden to improve the soil and have planted loads of trees and hedges to step up the human to plant balance.

I've also started washing my hair with shampoo bars instead of using bottled shampoo.

And on the other hand I've been on a plane about a dozen times this year and I had a barbecue last night so I'm probably massively in debit overall.

I had a bbq last night but I used bits of wood that were lying around

I buy compostable bioplastic pots for ingredients for my customers, and offer local farm vegetables. Trying to provide an alternative to supermarket bad practices.

Left the garden much more wild this year to help encourage wildlife.

I bought a compost tumbler. God knows how long it'll take, it has 2 chambers, so I guess after a couple of weeks of bunging stuff into one chamber, I start on the other. 

It's said to use a ratio of 2:1 green/brown where brown is dead leaves etc, hard to find them in summer though

I bought a compost tumbler. God knows how long it'll take, it has 2 chambers, so I guess after a couple of weeks of bunging stuff into one chamber, I start on the other. 

It's said to use a ratio of 2:1 green/brown where brown is dead leaves etc, hard to find them in summer though

I have that problem as well - loads of green (grass cuttings and plant/hedge trimmings) so I gather together a pile of dead leaves over the autumn/winter and top up my compost from that when it has all turned brown over the interim months.  

Set up a crisp package collection scheme for my kids school. Made a little stop motion video with my son and they showed it in his class assembly and it went really well.

100s of kids were bringing in their crisp packages for collection all last term.

Also we try and have 2/3 days a week where we don’t eat meat.

Paper and cardboard can be brown waste as well, actually leaving grass to go brown where the nitrogen breaks down also makes it brown rather than green waste, sawdust and bark as well and you can actually buy woodchippings specifically for composting

Paper and cardboard can be brown waste as well, actually leaving grass to go brown where the nitrogen breaks down also makes it brown rather than green waste, sawdust and bark as well and you can actually buy woodchippings specifically for composting

I've got one of those shredder things (a second-hand offload from a bloke I know who didn't want it for himself) and I keep thinking about firing it up again. I used it once and it felt like more trouble than it needed to be. If it worked properly that would be ideal for twigs and stuff.

I buy compostable bioplastic pots for ingredients for my customers, and offer local farm vegetables. Trying to provide an alternative to supermarket bad practices.

Left the garden much more wild this year to help encourage wildlife.

Hey - don't know whether you've seen/heard of these, I get fruit & veg from a Co called Misfits. It's basically organic stuff that doesn't meet 'shelf requirements' - either slightly too ripe, odd shape/size etc. It's all organic, they ship in cardboard boxes lined with a foam to protect that's made from cornstarch so it's compostable or you can dump it into a bucket of hot water & it dissolves

https://www.misfitsmarket.com/pages/ecofriendly-packaging

didn't know that :thumbs:

Set up a crisp package collection scheme for my kids school. Made a little stop motion video with my son and they showed it in his class assembly and it went really well.

100s of kids were bringing in their crisp packages for collection all last term.

Also we try and have 2/3 days a week where we don’t eat meat.

What do you do with the crisp packets?

What do you do with the crisp packets?

A scheme was set up by TerraCycle and they all get shipped to them for recycling.

https://crispcrusade-newsroom.prgloo.com/news/what-happens-to-the-waste-after-it-is-sent

This was the site we set up.

https://crispcrusade-newsroom.prgloo.com/

Edited by Romario

Good stuff

We’ll try and kick start it again next term as I know it’s a bit of a hassle for busy teachers. It’s a small thing but if everyone does a small thing it becomes a big thing.

What’s nice is all his class mates are a bit more tuned in to dumping stuff and the effects to the point where we were on a beach today and my son and his mate went off to do a clean up of all the s***e people leave behind. So stuff sinks in.