By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Front threes

I reckon Alison is our best ever keeper

Do 2 in every position so you win a quadruple

Alison, Clemence goalnets

CM Souness, Gerrard, x, xx

front 3 

some lads

side men

all time greats

best faces

smart

colourful

genial

bad

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beardsley, Barnes, Houghton. Aldridge on the bench in the Origi role. Barnes as a better Firmino.

What was Craig Johnston like? I remember him being ridiculously quick, but I don't remember much else. Houghton who replaced him was always in the right areas and on the same wavelength for combination plays.

Johnston was OK. Lots of effort and energy. Hard working player who left the game way too soon.

Houghton was a strange player. Lots of ability, but had a habit of going Awol during games. He did score some vital goals for us.

Johnston went awol more, and was less hardworking than Houghton. They were the prototype for Dirk Kuyt.

Johnston went awol more, and was less hardworking than Houghton. They were the prototype for Dirk Kuyt.

My impression was that Johnston played more as an individual, and was less involved in those interchanges that Barnes, Beardsley and Houghton were fond of. Aldridge was involved in these as well I think. Was that so?

Thats the one i struggle with, no matter how great a season it was. I'd have Nicol right back

He's an awful g*******, but Phil Neal ffs

yeah - the debate is really between those two, for me

though you could stick Gerrard there opening up a spot for another great in midfield

We're now at a point, because we're just f***ing ace, where we simply can't do these Greatest XI teams. With the possible exception of Souness we've just too many great players in each position. A decade ago there was a bit of a debate to be had - a couple of potentials for each position - but now there's 4, 5 or 6 for some. However would thought we'd be leaving out Hyypia, Barnes, Rush and Dalglish on a regular basis. Keegan wouldn't even make the 12-man bench now.

Agree with Cobs re. the short-termism and would extend it to VVD and Salah. For now.

Agree with Cobs re. the short-termism and would extend it to VVD and Salah. For now.

what i would say on those two is

VVD - is staggeringly good, should be winning the Ballon D'Or this season

Salah - season 1 - sensational. season 2 - bloody good, quickest LFC player to hit 50 league goals & wins the European Cup. 

i think both are operating at a level beyond Babbel in 2001

Aye, but I firmly believe Gary Mac was the best player in the world for 3 months in early 2001. Yossi Benayoun the best for 6 weeks.

Agree with what you're saying on the amazing seasons of VVD and Salah but if their form fell off a cliff from now on, or they were sold this summer/January, they would be mere footnotes in our glorious history.

Aye, but I firmly believe Gary Mac was the best player in the world for 3 months in early 2001. Yossi Benayoun the best for 6 weeks.

Agree with what you're saying on the amazing seasons of VVD and Salah but if their form fell off a cliff from now on, or they were sold this summer/January, they would be mere footnotes in our glorious history.

don't think either of those opening statements is true

but you make a fair point on the 2nd

Clemence

Babbel Hansen VVD Kennedy

Salah Gerrard Souness Barnes

Dalglish Suarez

agree except FBs

Neal and Nicol

Rush, Torres and Beardsley providing useful cover on the bench

Edited by Molby