By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Extinction Rebellion

pipnasty

Sadiq Khan asking for a return to 'business as usual' for London again. 

Ok, I read this today with regard to XR

"My current perspective is that if we see arrests as key to political change then, given the greater risks they face from the police, it is an appropriate use of white privilege for us to be the ones arrested rather than our allies of colour. Thoughts?"

Anybody?

Sadiq Khan asking for a return to 'business as usual' for London again.

Ok, I read this today with regard to XR

"My current perspective is that if we see arrests as key to political change then, given the greater risks they face from the police, it is an appropriate use of white privilege for us to be the ones arrested rather than our allies of colour. Thoughts?"

Anybody?

I've found a few of the 'if this was black people, there'd be armed police here' criticisms a bit invalid. The blame for that lies with the establishment, not XR.

Was in parliament square last week, atmosphere at the protest was great. Nice to be able to wander round that area with no traffic.

Why do the pathetic attention seekers of spiked continue to get so many slots on the media? here they are attacking Greta Thunberg in a very unpleasant way:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1120564399083859970

So O'Neill is calling a remarkable young girl with Asperger's a weirdo and that there is something chilling about her??

Definitely something chilling about him.

Anybody?

I think this is a good position on the face but does it mean that XR are predominantly white or does it mean that there is a tactical difference between white and non white XR activists? This is one of the ways that white privilege can be leveraged in a positive way.

More generally I think that XR is a positive movement, from the bits of criticism I've read it seems that there is a belief among many as non party political that it is possible to separate environmental catastrophe from capitalism so there is room outside of XR to provide it.

I think this is a good position on the face but does it mean that XR are predominantly white or does it mean that there is a tactical difference between white and non white XR activists? This is one of the ways that white privilege can be leveraged in a positive way.

More generally I think that XR is a positive movement, from the bits of criticism I've read it seems that there is a belief among many as non party political that it is possible to separate environmental catastrophe from capitalism so there is room outside of XR to provide it.

XR is predominantly white.

I've found a few of the 'if this was black people, there'd be armed police here' criticisms a bit invalid. The blame for that lies with the establishment, not XR.

Yeah, but black people who have a genuine and totally justified fear of how they will be treated by the police might feel as though they are excluded from taking this type of action. So it's still an exercise in people using their white privilege.

Yes, to both the above posts. 

XR are going through a really interesting phase at the moment where there is an acknowledgement that the initial burst of energy may not be enough to sustain it and many issues are now being raised. One of these is inclusion. 

There are conversations going on with BAME groups about what are the best actions they can take if they want to avoid being in direct confrontation with the police. Already, there is a whole network of support within XR - legal, financial, emotional support etc - that are are vital if it is to succeed. My current role is how to join the dots between XR and the Transition movement.

But, the issue of white privilege needs to be taken on - it's all over the place in XR.

Yeah, but black people who have a genuine and totally justified fear of how they will be treated by the police might feel as though they are excluded from taking this type of action. So it's still an exercise in people using their white privilege.

It may well be but is that an issue atm with where the campaign is and is going?

It may well be but is that an issue atm with where the campaign is and is going?

Yes mate. Intersectionality is always an issue. In fact, no harm but the fact you think it's something that can be ignored is your white privilege in action.

Yes mate. Intersectionality is always an issue. In fact, no harm but the fact you think it's something that can be ignored is your white privilege in action.

I've not said it should be ignored.

Pip seems to be saying that this current mode of protest by XR is under examination and there is a movement towards more inclusivity, which is all massively encouraging and obviously required.

That BAME people who support the cause can't necessarily protest this current way says more about the society we live in rather than the protestors themselves surely? And if the movement is genuinely engaging with ways to become more inclusive, that's a good thing?

I'm also hard pressed to think of ways that are more effective than what XR are currently doing and more inclusive.

That said, there have been a few reports of some overt white privilege stuff going on with XRs attitude towards the police which the movement needs to seriously look at. Ultimately, how does the movement police the actions of all its members?

Natasha Engle, the governments 'fracking csar', has quit her job after only 6 months and has blamed eco-activists (hurrah). A FOI request asked for all of her emails and correspondence to be made available from her time is office but she has admitted to deleting all of her emails at the end of each day and has destroyed any paper work. Strange that, isn't it? And also illegal.

Natasha Engle, the governments 'fracking csar', has quit her job after only 6 months and has blamed eco-activists (hurrah). A FOI request asked for all of her emails and correspondence to be made available from her time is office but she has admitted to deleting all of her emails at the end of each day and has destroyed any paper work. Strange that, isn't it? And also illegal.

f***ing hell.

Also an ex-Labour MP.

It’s dodgy, but is it illegal? I thought it was only illegal to delete them once an FOI request has been received.

It’s dodgy, but is it illegal? I thought it was only illegal to delete them once an FOI request has been received.

If she's a public official then I presume they fall under the public records act and have to be kept