By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Tesla/electric cars

Ibby

I've got solar panels on my house so can charge it with using energy that would otherwise go back into the grid. looking st the reviews of the cars they are brilliant for local driving but those going on long journeys seem to have to charge them up every hour and a half and go on a detour to find a charging point.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the current line is that if you are doing a commute of up to 35 miles (each way) (and most daily use is far far less) electric is great. Really struggle with long distance though and for those that have family all over the country or a big work territory, for example, that makes electric difficult other than as a 2nd car which opens a whole new can of worms

I think the current line is that if you are doing a commute of up to 35 miles (each way) (and most daily use is far far less) electric is great. Really struggle with long distance though and for those that have family all over the country or a big work territory, for example, that makes electric difficult other than as a 2nd car which opens a whole new can of worms

This is why we are looking at the Outlander - has plug in electric for short journeys (up to 50k but in reality probably more like 30k) but beyond that you can switch to hybrid mode or full petrol.Hopefully best of both worlds. We had previously been thinking of getting a Leaf but it would need us to run a second car.

• 5 weeks later...

Very nice NYR.

I looked at the I8 but it only does about 25 miles electric then you have to switch so kind of defeats the object!

I had the i8 - loved it.  £40 for a full tank that, with the aid of electric power (which self charges), gives you 400 miles, fantastic handling and 0-60 in under 4 seconds.  If it were a little bit more practical, I would've kept it.

I had the i8 - loved it. £40 for a full tank that, with the aid of electric power (which self charges), gives you 400 miles, fantastic handling and 0-60 in under 4 seconds. If it were a little bit more practical, I would've kept it.

I’ve got a 7 year old Golf 1.6 that does 600 miles off a £60 tank. Same fuel costs, way more practical, cost £100k less. What am I missing?

• 2 months later...