By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

9/11

pipnasty

Think there's a much clearer line between the end of Northern Rock & Lehman Brothers to Trump/Brexit.

You could argue that the corporatists in the arms game loved the results of 9/11 but the real money was spread out after 2007/8 in bailing out the banks while no-one paid the price. Well, by no-one I mean no individual. Everyone hammered by austerity or sensing the system was rigged against them paid the price and the backlash from that is Trump&Brexit. Unfortunately, the next step of corporatism usually involves people, lots of people, being killed.

I think that what happened after 9/11 is that we managed to define a race of people, Muslims, as 'the problem'. I agree about austerity and the banking crisis but I think that rather than putting the blame on the perpetrators of the financial crash, as would normally happen, folk were able to focus their anger against an imagined enemy. Hence both Brexit and Trump coming home by playing the race card. I don't think this could have happened pre-9/11. 

I see your point - an "other" to rally against. I was driving down the A21 in Sevenoaks a few weeks back and on a motorway bridge was spray-painted "all muzlims are terrorists" "kill a muzlim".

So you might be right.

The galling thing is that Bin Laden might have been right.

We, the US and UK, did not have to take the road that we did post-9/11 and were warned of the potential consequences of such a disastrous folly in Iraq. Certainly, in the UK, New Labour had found a ready made excuse as to why their neoliberal policies were failing large groups of people and that was 'the other' - see Jack Straw's 'we need to talk about Muslims' rhetoric. 

And now that we have run out of enemies in our quest for endless war, we have turned in on ourselves and, as you said earlier, we kinda know what happens next.

Think there's a much clearer line between the end of Northern Rock & Lehman Brothers to Trump/Brexit.

You could argue that the corporatists in the arms game loved the results of 9/11 but the real money was spread out after 2007/8 in bailing out the banks while no-one paid the price. Well, by no-one I mean no individual. Everyone hammered by austerity or sensing the system was rigged against them paid the price and the backlash from that is Trump&Brexit. Unfortunately, the next step of corporatism usually involves people, lots of people, being killed.

Yemenis and Syrians currently. Venezuelans next target.

• 4 months later...

He's a self-congratulatory neoliberal and is as much a part of the problem as Trump is

So he should just keep his trap shut and not bother then?

Yeah, right...

If it was a Committe in volving the NRA or oil, you'd be sure those f*ckers would have been fighting over the best seats.