By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Help with Welsh

Molby

How do you say ‘House of Spiders’ in Welsh?

During the war, my mum was evacuated to Wales

I’ve just found out the name of the village is Rowen, near Conwy and she says their house was called House of Spiders, which she can say in a decent-sounding Welsh accent but has no clue how to spell it

She hasn’t ever been back there

When it’s warmer and she comes up to Liverpool, I’d like to take her there and see if the house is still standing, and better still, if there are any old timers who remember her and my uncle

Sounds like it was fun.....trout tickling and the like

Either way, there’s a nice-looking village pub/restaurant there with my name written on it (for the consumption of lamb)

Any other general advice appreciated

How do you say ‘House of Spiders’ in Welsh?

During the war, my mum was evacuated to Wales

I’ve just found out the name of the village is Rowen, near Conwy and she says their house was called House of Spiders, which she can say in a decent-sounding Welsh accent but has no clue how to spell it

She hasn’t ever been back there

When it’s warmer and she comes up to Liverpool, I’d like to take her there and see if the house is still standing, and better still, if there are any old timers who remember her and my uncle

Sounds like it was fun.....trout tickling and the like

Either way, there’s a nice-looking village pub/restaurant there with my name written on it (for the consumption of lamb)

Any other general advice appreciated

I found the pub that my great-Grandparents ran in Merthyr Tydfil after they moved there from Ireland. It's an Indian restaurant now. They ran it in about 1910. My Mother loved seeing it.

Edited by New York Red

I found the pub that my great-Grandparents ran in Merthyr Tydfil after they moved there from Ireland. It's an Indian restaurant now. They ran it in about 1910. My Mother loved seeing it.

Wasn't The Railway on Cefn Coed High Street was it? It's now the Mango House Indian. 

https://goo.gl/maps/86mpUuP3C4M2

If so, that's about 500m from where we are 

Edited by Gethin

Not that one. It's called Red Spice. Right by the river. They claimed it was haunted.

Ever eaten there? I was thinking of checking it out next time I was over.

Yeah I know it - never been there 'cos the one by us is so good. From what friends have said, Red Spice is pretty much your standard Indian so not worth making a trip for unless for the family connection. 

Which one by you? Always looking for something new and good. I was pretty disappointed with the Purple Pappadum and Moksh in Cardiff. They tried to be too adventurous. 

Strongly recommend Panama and The Dutchess of Delhi though.

Mango House - the one I linked to above. Again, not worth the trip up from Cardiff 'cos it's just a neighbourhood Indian but a very good one. My favourite in South Wales is Vegetarian Food Studio in Grangetown - dirt cheap, BYO alcohol but some fabulous Southern Indian food. 

https://vegetarianfoodstudio.co.uk

Not a big fan of Purple Popadom myself, for the same reasons as you. Don't see the point of "Fine Dining" curry

(Apologies for major thread diversion) 

Mango House - the one I linked to above. Again, not worth the trip up from Cardiff 'cos it's just a neighbourhood Indian but a very good one. My favourite in South Wales is Vegetarian Food Studio in Grangetown - dirt cheap, BYO alcohol but some fabulous Southern Indian food. 

https://vegetarianfoodstudio.co.uk

Not a big fan of Purple Popadom myself, for the same reasons as you. Don't see the point of "Fine Dining" curry

(Apologies for major thread diversion) 

I'll have to give that one a go. I've driven by it many times. I sold my house around the corner from there last year. Thanks for the heads-up.

Either Ty Pry Cop (tee pree kop) or Ty Corryn (Tee Corin). I've never heard anyone say Pryfed Cop.

Depending on the size of the house and because it's North Wales, it could be Plas (Plass) instead of Ty.

What she said sounded like Plas Corryn

cheers all