By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Craft beer in cans

Gethin

If you're buying beer and draft isn't available, how do you feel when it gets served in a cans (and not a bottle) - is it something that puts you off buying it or are you not bothered? 

Reason I ask is that 2 of the 4 breweries that currently supply us are winding down bottle production and moving to cans - this includes two of out top five sellers. We've always been "bottle only" - 'cos I'm not a can fan. Trying to work out whether we should just suck it up and sell these in cans - or look for other bottled beers from other breweries to replace them. 

We don't do massive volumes of booze, so cans/bottles mean we can offer a substantial range of stuff (25 different beers and 8 ciders at the moment) as they can just sit there until needed. Draft (keg or cask) isn't a practical option for us.

Edited by Gethin

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should say this as I have noticed a big increase in craft beers in cans in bars in Liverpool..

I don't mind either way to be honest.. Interesting to know why cans is more favourable. I presume its cost related. Quite like the artwork on some of the cans too

Mainly cost (cheaper in the long run) and marketing (better conduit for lairy designs) from what I understand 

Cans are easier to transport/pack/store and some beer snobs reckon they stop the beer being affected by light.

Could you just get some fancy glasses? Brewers may even provide them

We've got the glasses (the breweries give them to you for free) but I prefer to take the bottle out with the glass just so the guest can see what they're getting. 

Also cans are increasingly coming in 440ml size which leaves a substantial gap at the top of a pint glass. I know I feel short changed with that - especially when you're paying upwards of £4

imo craft beer in cans downgrades the experience

I know a lot of this stuff is about myths that we make up in our heads but I think the perception is that craft beer in a bottle is a higher value experience than in a can

so if I were in your position I would be bearing it mind and working around it

my least favourite option would be to give a customer a can....better to pour it out, out of sight if that's practical 

what if people don't know their craft beers?

what if they just fancy a craft beer instead of a Carling? and in their minds it conjures up images of a bottle, with cans being a cheaper product

so in other words, largely older people as opposed to skateboarders and the like

what's your customer-craft-beer-ordering-demographic Gethin?

what if they just fancy a craft beer instead of a Carling? and in their minds it conjures up images of a bottle, with cans being a cheaper product

so in other words, largely older people as opposed to skateboarders and the like

We are older people.

When we opened, I kept a bunch of "regular" beers in the cellar just in case - ended up drinking them ourselves as people were happy with what was on the menu. 

We've got such a broad range that if people say "I usually like x" then we've got something on the list they'll like. One of our breweries produces some really excellent traditional style beers - they're not really "craft" they're just a relatively new brewery.

We find the vast majority of our guests really like having a big selection of local stuff - pretty much the only place locally doing them and it helps drive return business (which we get a lot of). 

2 breweries inc 3 of the best 5 sellers are still doing bottles for the olds

Very true - I'm just trying to work out whether the "cans = bad" thing is mostly just me or if it's a more general opinion. 

I'm not a craft beer person but given the number of craft beers that turn up in cans I reckon enough of those who are will be fine with the can thing. Just make obvious on the menu which are cans and which are bottles. Job's a good un as we say in the trade.

The can thing is about recycling isn't it?

It's a plus point for them to be able to say it is, but I think it's mostly about transport and storage.

My favourites are the Norwegian ones where the whole top of the can comes off so it feels like you're drinking from a glass.

Cans are easier to transport/pack/store and some beer snobs reckon they stop the beer being affected by light.

The can thing is about recycling isn't it?

I went down to one of my local craft places pre-Christmas for a stock-up and they were only selling cans. I asked why they'd moved away from bottles and the answers above (light/handling/recycling) were the answers they gave

To be honest, I've only really seen them in cans or draft anyway. Very few bottles.

Probably a myth, but I've always felt bottles drinks were somehow cleaner to taste. For example, I've always thought bottled coca cola tastes way better than canned coca cola.

I would much rather not have beer in a can - to me it  always has a slightly tinny, metallic tinge to the taste which is not pleasant. To be fair I think that has changed over the years and its nowhere near as bad as it used to be but is still there... Bottles for me every time. Having said that I'd much rather have a real ale than a craft ale.

To be honest, I've only really seen them in cans or draft anyway. Very few bottles.

Probably a myth, but I've always felt bottles drinks were somehow cleaner to taste. For example, I've always thought bottled coca cola tastes way better than canned coca cola.

it does

I would much rather not have beer in a can - to me it  always has a slightly tinny, metallic tinge to the taste which is not pleasant. To be fair I think that has changed over the years and its nowhere near as bad as it used to be but is still there... Bottles for me every time. Having said that I'd much rather have a real ale than a craft ale.

Pretty much where I am too.