By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The midfield

growler

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who was in goal? and who was in our back 4?

I'd like to have seen them with Allison and VVD, as KK says

We drew 0-0 with West Brom at home in one of them. There's a fair bit of revisionism going on about when the 4 played together. We felt unbalanced, susceptible to being broken on, and I just didn't think it worked. This isn't to say we wouldn't be better off with someone extra really good in midfield, but I don't think it was a long term successful plan. For all the talk of who the keeper was or who the defenders was you can't leave as much space as we were in midfield. While we were 3-0 up at Sevilla with them, Karius pulled off a great save, they hit the post, and they put a one on one wide in the first half. It was basically very similar to that Southampton game earlier this season.  

By all means, get really good footballers in and that, but people's memories of what the four of them together looked like are clouded by how good the four of them are as footballers. 

think that's spot on. its incredibly frustrating that we actually had all 4 of them in the side for about 3 months and the football was incredible. and then it was gone.

I don't think it worked when all four played actually. Better when one was rested/injured.

We drew 0-0 with West Brom at home in one of them. There's a fair bit of revisionism going on about when the 4 played together. We felt unbalanced, susceptible to being broken on, and I just didn't think it worked. This isn't to say we wouldn't be better off with someone extra really good in midfield, but I don't think it was a long term successful plan. For all the talk of who the keeper was or who the defenders was you can't leave as much space as we were in midfield. While we were 3-0 up at Sevilla with them, Karius pulled off a great save, they hit the post, and they put a one on one wide in the first half. It was basically very similar to that Southampton game earlier this season.  

By all means, get really good footballers in and that, but people's memories of what the four of them together looked like are clouded by how good the four of them are as footballers.

Broadly agree

How many games did they start together ? Edited by Earl Hafler

I have Coutinho and Mané starting eight games together last season, only twice consecutively. No defeats.

We drew 0-0 with WBA but scored 18 goals in the five other fixtures around that time.

It’s not exactly proof.

That said, I think Coutinho had changed as a player and was better in that deeper position a few seasons ago. He’d developed in that front three role and had finally stating scoring regularly.

It is likely that we lacked the pacey centre half defence and mobile centre mid required for that type of audacious front four but we have those now.

What we lack now is the #10 / #7

They started 6 games together and we didn't win 3 of them!

I remember thinking we’d win more tbfbut from my head it was Spartak Moscow and West Brom where they disappointing and maybe Newcastle but did Sturridge start? We scored for fun in the rest and it would have been great to see it in front of this defence and with Keita on board.

I appreciate Coutinho was likely to go (although once more no one else seems to lose their superstar) but not plugging that is negligent.

As well as that Coutinho was on fire when Mane was struggling. A lot of the really good stuff came with him in and Mane on the bench.

He scored a hatrick against spartak Moscow, scored away against them as well

I think he was Left mid that day.

Last two sides have pressed the defender in possession of the ball and the midfield hasn’t reacted. It’s almost like there’s a doctrine that states that the centre half passes to fullback, fullback passes to centre mid. Do this at a sedate pace and the opposition will more than cope

Last two sides have pressed the defender in possession of the ball and the midfield hasn’t reacted. It’s almost like there’s a doctrine that states that the centre half passes to fullback, fullback passes to centre mid. Do this at a sedate pace and the opposition will more than cope

The much maligned "safe" Henderson moves the ball quickest of all our mids