By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The midfield

growler

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's more effective than Gini.

Is he though? His biggest asset is his energy and work rate, which given he's 33 in 2 months is a concern. He's never been a top level central midfielder, and we're trying to go up against one of the best teams ever using the 32/33 year old version of him to try overcome them when the 27 year old version of him couldn't get in a considerably inferior version of their side. 

We had Joel Matip and Dejan Lovren at centre back for one of the wins - I wouldn't do that either.

He's good enough right now, put in some good displays do far this season. Age not on his side, sure he will be under pressure from a new lad next summer if not before.

Is he though? His biggest asset is his energy and work rate, which given he's 33 in 2 months is a concern. He's never been a top level central midfielder, and we're trying to go up against one of the best teams ever using the 32/33 year old version of him to try overcome them when the 27 year old version of him couldn't get in a considerably inferior version of their side.

Milner is better now than he was then

You just don’t like him

All reasonable points but he's still more effective than Gini

You just don’t like him

No, I like him. I just think that if we want to be a top side players like him are gonna have to be improved on. Manchester City basically have De Bruyne, Bernando Silva and David Silva in the role he fills for us. He isn't gonna pick a defence open with his passing, he isn't gonna grab a team by the balls and drive them forward, he isn't gonna do a great deal really. He's never been a top level central midfielder and we're treating him like he is one, and then wondering why we're having midfield issues. 

To me, Gini is hands down our best 6 and he's a pretty decent 8 and i'd take him most days over Milner and everyday of the week over Henderson. Won't comment much on Fabinho or Keita aside from saying that so far they have shown almost nothing to justify their price tags but they still have a lot of time to show us they belong here. At this stage it's obvious what we are lacking and i have no need to keep saying it and until we get this player/position filled our attack will be isolated unless Klopp changes the system. If Klopp whats to continue with this current set up he needs the right players in the middle and he doesn't have them. Maybe Shaquiri can do a job in there until we bring someone in.

No, I like him. I just think that if we want to be a top side players like him are gonna have to be improved on. Manchester City basically have De Bruyne, Bernando Silva and David Silva in the role he fills for us. He isn't gonna pick a defence open with his passing, he isn't gonna grab a team by the balls and drive them forward, he isn't gonna do a great deal really. He's never been a top level central midfielder and we're treating him like he is one, and then wondering why we're having midfield issues.

I think he’s shown to be a great option but I agree we should fill the £144mill hole shouldn’t we Phil.

Sadly, I agree.

I just think that if we want to be a top side players like him are gonna have to be improved on. Manchester City basically have De Bruyne, Bernando Silva and David Silva in the role he fills for us.

Bingo!

I think he’s shown to be a great option but I agree we should fill the £144mill hole shouldn’t we Phil.

ah, Sammya nailed it already

The main issue here is that you could make similar assertions for every single one of our centre mids.

It’s alright having one that’s a regular starter but all of them ? Ox offers something slightly different and hopefully Fabinho will progress significantly during this season; at least he has tried to be proactive and not part of an assembly line which transfers the ball from one flank to the other

We’re getting by. Again.

The fella who’s injured would be absolutely fine for what we need.

Taking the "it's fine" argument into hypotheticals now.

What we need isn't "fine". We need someone who is absolutely ace.

Everything else falls under stopgaps and the degree to which they can be endured.

Edited by Kid Klopp

the one we've known was going to be out all season since last April?

Yeah I wasn’t saying use him, more that that’s more the style of what we need. We need someone quick who can break lines and offer intensity. The comparison between those City players was more ability than suitability of setup.

We should sign Ramsay in January.

The problem for me is that I've still got fresh in my memory what it was like when we played all four of coutinho, Mane, Salah and Firmino together. Teams just couldn't live with us - It was perhaps the most devastating football we've played in decades.

The plan, the original plan, was to have that and Keita behind them as the 8 and VVD marshalling the defence. Imagine. The was the plan of 2017. We had to wait 6-12 months for Keita and VVD to fall into place. Ok, not ideal, but there it is.

I want the plan restored and actualised. That was a plan for a team that could win major titles over the next five years. I don't want Chamberlain taking up Coutinho's role because "he'll be absolutely fine for what we need".  I want that magic player that will raise our prospects of winning major titles to an actually realistic level without needing the stars to align. I want a team so good that we can feel good about having a player as good as Chamberlain coming off the bench.

I don't think I am being unreasonable or petulant about it either. The reason people are going on about it is because the magic is within fecking reach and for various reasons, the club is making do with stop gaps. We just need that one player - And we have a 144m sale to fill it with. Most of us would have been quite happy with spending just 50m of those to fill it. come january, the club will have had 18 months and three transfer windows to identify a proper replacement. It's not good enough. We've done a lot of things very right recently, so it's doubly frustrating how badly we ballsed up one of the final pieces.

Edited by Kid Klopp