By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Welcome Xherdan Shaqiri

Benzo-13

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm genuinely baffled as to where you've got this idea from that Wilson is better. He wasn't anywhere near the best player in the Championship last year, or even his team, he hasn't been particularly outstanding for Bournemouth, he hasn't played properly for Liverpool for about three and a half years.

Do you just think Shaqiri is complete s*** or something?

Why did he have to be the best player in the Championship?

Haha. Now you're throwing in Shaqiri when he was playing for Bayern Munich.

Straw man parameters again

I've never said Wilson is a better player than Shaqiri ever was, just I think he's better now / would be more useful now, particularly with his ability at set pieces.

Edited by Earl Hafler

It wasn't straw man at all you just misunderstood it - it's a gauge of where he is as a footballer in his career. He's currently trying to prove he's good enough to play in this League and he isn't putting out a compelling case from what I've seen.

I'm trying to find reasons why you think it and I've got none at all. Like literally none. If you want to think it's that absolutely fine. I just don't know what you're basing this one, so I'm asking you. And so far you've got 'ability at set pieces' which we're already excellent at and we aren't a team who are going to put someone on the pitch because they're good at set pieces. 

And yes, I'm fully aware you meant now. As I said, I'm trying to figure out what he's done in his career that makes you think he's good enough for Liverpool when his current contribution towards Liverpool is less than Curtis Jones and Ben Woodburn who are both younger than him and placed above him at various stages over the last few years. 

It's not like he's going on to a pitch and showing he's even close to Xherdan Shaqiri. Has he ever played better than Shaqiri did last night? Doubt it. 

You think Woodburn is better than Wilson?

No. But Woodburn has started a Premier League game for Liverpool, while being two and a half years younger, while Wilson was at the club and available for selection at the same time. My point was about perception from those within the club as opposed to what I think of either. 

Edited by Hightown Phil

No. But Woodburn has started a Premier League game for Liverpool, while being two and a half years younger, while Wilson was at the club and available for selection at the same time. My point was about perception from those within the club as opposed to what I think of either.

I doubt Klopp believes that Woodburn is currently a better player than Wilson so the contribution / appearances for us is misleading

Origi was out on loan whilst we had Solanke and Woodburn available and I seriously doubt that was because Jurgen believed the latter two were better players

Edited by Earl Hafler

It isn’t misleading to the point I’m making. I’m looking for reasons you think he’s more use to us than Shaqiri. If he’d have been used in the past in situations like the one when Woodburn started, or the league cup games Woodburn had played, when he could have cos he played for Liverpool that would be a reason potentially.

I’m trying to work out what basis you have for thinking he’s better given he’s never really played for Liverpool, the manager has never shown any indication he fancies him, he was never on the cusp of the side, he wasn’t the best player for Derby last season and he’s not really spent the last 3 months providing anything to say he’d be good enough for us.

And Shaqiri has played for us and shown he’s got something. I’m just trying to work out where you’ve got it from cos it makes no sense to me.

Woodburn comparison is a bit moot, Wilson is in the premier league whilst Ben is in league 1 isnt he?

That isn't the point of the comparison though. 

I don't see why that's it's such a controversial opinion that it requires a burden of evidence...

I don't want a burden of evidence. I'd take anything. 

His shooting is world-class. Find me five players who shoot better than him, that is obvious, but the game is about more and that is what he has to improve and that is clear. To be involved as an offensive player you have to connect with other players.

Klopp on Wilson

His shooting is world-class. Find me five players who shoot better than him, that is obvious, but the game is about more and that is what he has to improve and that is clear. To be involved as an offensive player you have to connect with other players.

Klopp on Wilson

He also said Wilson would have been useful when Shaqiri was injured.

• 1 month later...

Don't think that's much of a surprise to be honest. His fitness, on the sly, has been crap, and he basically served his purpose. Jones can do the bit where he plays midfield, Brewster can do the bit where he's in a front 3, and that's before you mention Sancho and Mbappe. 

or before we mention Minamino.