By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Irish Citizenship

Murphman

A weird set up to say the least. I can apply for Irish citizenship through four Irish Grandparents but can't pass it down to my two sons. I can however pass it on to any kids they might have. To qualify your Grandparents have to be Irish citizens when you're born, an odd rule..

I've ordered the long copies of my Grandmother's birth and marriage certificates and I already have her original death certificate, I could apply in a couple of weeks by the look of it. The fee is steep at around £300 but I'm seriously giving this consideration. My son is about to start work in Germany and his Norwegian girlfriend is going to live with him, with the uncertainty of Brexit this feels instinctively the right thing to do, even if it doesn't help my son directly, maybe things could change in the future.

Are you sure about the grandparent/parent thing? Have you asked them? I suspect you may have misread the small print a bit, pretty sure kids have the right to it from a parent.

Asked the dept of foreign affairs / embassy staff I meant.

From citizinenformation.ie

"If you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was born outside Ireland, then you are entitled to become an Irish citizen."

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

Edited by Duncan Disorderly

From citizinenformation.ie

"If you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was born outside Ireland, then you are entitled to become an Irish citizen."

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

I wasn't an Irish Citizen when my kids were born, if/when i become one my Grandchildren (if I have any) qualify in the same way that I do now.

Are you sure about the grandparent/parent thing? Have you asked them? I suspect you may have misread the small print a bit, pretty sure kids have the right to it from a parent.

Asked the dept of foreign affairs / embassy staff I meant.

See above Dus.

my son's next passport we'll likely do as Irish. Might do that for me too depending on how the Brexitshambles goes along over the next few years

You qualify anyway without your wife do you not? My mate was born in England of Irish parents and he's married a Yank, yet despite his choices he insists he's English regardless of Brexit, Trump, the whole crock of sh*t...

I wasn't an Irish Citizen when my kids were born, if/when i become one my Grandchildren (if I have any) qualify in the same way that I do now.

Yeah, just saw this:

"If your children were born before you were registered, they are not eligible to apply as you were not an Irish citizen at the time of their birth."

Bit of a weird one.

Yeah, just saw this:

"If your children were born before you were registered, they are not eligible to apply as you were not an Irish citizen at the time of their birth."

Bit of a weird one.

They could still play for your football team tho presumably ;)

Had to renew my daughter's passport today - she's asking for an Irish one too. She has an idea of going to university in the UK - you have the right to live in the UK if you're Irish. Mind UK university costs a bomb if you're from overseas - maybe a gap year working in the UK would fix that?

We had a citizenship referendum back in 2004, which completely ballsed things up. Before then if you were born in Ireland, you could claim citizenship.

But to stop the non existent ‘threat’ of people having babies here to get an Irish passport we opted overwhelmingly that to be a citizen you have to have an Irish parent. So I’d imagine that’s where we made a mess of the grandparent rule/ diaspora citizenship process etc too.

Still can’t believe that poxy referendum got 79% of the vote.

really? That sounds totally f***ed - so you could be born in Ireland to a non-Irish parent & not get it but born in England to an Irish parent and get it...

2 of my friends - American & NZ, had 3 boys born in England, they had to choose btw NZ & American, they don't naturally get British

Getting an Irish passport isn’t the same as citizenship though is it?

You can apply once you're a citizen.

really? That sounds totally f***ed - so you could be born in Ireland to a non-Irish parent & not get it but born in England to an Irish parent and get it...

2 of my friends - American & NZ, had 3 boys born in England, they had to choose btw NZ & American, they don't naturally get British

Edited by Murphman

Oh OK, my Mrs is irish so I guess our daughter is automatically a citizen?

Yeah

Irish citizen parents born in Ireland

If either of your parents was an Irish citizen who was born in Ireland, then you are automatically an Irish citizen, irrespective of your place of birth. If you are an Irish citizen, you can apply for an Irish passport. You do not need an Irish passport in order to be an Irish citizen but having an Irish passport is evidence that you are an Irish citizen.

From here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html#l091af

ergo if either of your parents an Irish citizen NOT born in Ireland you're not automatically...?

The US is weird - in it's very liberal - that if you're born here, you're a citizen. The UK is nowhere near as accomodating

I'm Irish. Born in Ireland. Going to get my son an Irish passport - he's 10 years old.

Is my British born wife eligible for an Irish passport through Marraige? We don't and never have lived in Ireland as a couple, but we're married 15 years.

I'm Irish. Born in Ireland. Going to get my son an Irish passport - he's 10 years old.

Is my British born wife eligible for an Irish passport through Marraige? We don't and never have lived in Ireland as a couple, but we're married 15 years.

No

If you are the spouse or civil partner of an Irish citizen who is applying for Irish citizenship, you must meet the following conditions:

• You must be married to or in a recognised civil partnership* with the Irish citizen for at least 3 years
  • You must have had a period of 1 year's continuous reckonable residence - see below - in the island of Ireland immediately before the date of your application, and during the 4 years preceding that, have had a total reckonable residence in the island of Ireland amounting to 2 years. Altogether you must have a total of 3 years reckonable residence out of the last 5 years.
  • Your marriage or civil partnership must be recognised as valid under Irish law
  • You and your spouse or civil partner must be living together as a married couple or civil partners
  • You must be of full age, good character and intend to continue to live on the island of Ireland
  • You must have made a declaration of fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/becoming_an_irish_citizen_through_marriage.html