By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Ronnie Moran

Maldini

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a sad loss. I always thought this boot room story was with Moran as the lead but it's actually Joe Fagan. Always makes me smile.....

Joe's post-match hospitality towards the opposition was renowned throughout football, but in terms of a culture clash there could have been few bigger mismatches than on the occasion he met Watford's diva-esque pop-star chairman Elton John following an impressive 3-1 victory over the Hornets in December 1982. Ever hospitable, Joe welcomed Elton into the hallowed bootroom and the conversation went as follows: "Hey, lad, would you like a drink?" asked Joe. "I'll have a pink gin please," replied the Watford chairman. With a shake of his head and look of horror on his face, Joe replied: "Pink gin, lad? You can have a brown ale, a Guinness or scotch, lad, and that's yer lot!"

RIP Ronnie, he's inextricably woven into the history of the club.

One of the LFC coaches told me how Ronnie used to carry a little book round with him and the coach used to see him making notes in it every day. When he asked Ronnie what he was doing he told him the book had the name of every person who worked at the club and each day he would tick off who he had spoken to. This would help him make sure that he went and spoke to everyone, player, coach, cleaner, kit man etc, at least every few days.