By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The death of a forum

Nerik

This week was a pretty sad one in terms of my "online life". The Liverpool forum I have formed part of for nearly 13yrs has closed down. I am referring to www.bOOTroom.org

This was a forum set up by a group of posters who had been kicked out of LFC Online back in 2003 (long story). It was group of people who had got to know each other online. We were from different parts of the world. From England,Scotland, Ireland, Iceland, Australia, India, USA, Singapore, Malta etc. We are all united by our love for Liverpool. Over the years most of us even managed to meet up and go and watch games together. It was a great forum, but there was one major problem. Being set up by a group of "friends" who had been through the LFC Online saga together, it was always hard for new comers to feel as if they'd fit in. New posters would join up and whilst some great guys remained and grew to form part of our community, many others dropped out after a while. Then, as with all small groups, the inevitable happened. Some people fell out of love with online life and posted less regularly. Others got married, moved etc. and could not keep in touch as much as they did before. Others also fell out, as often happens online and often over some trivial comment, and left. Over the past couple of years the amount of posts per day has dwindled significantly. It no longer made sense to keep the forum going as the cost was being shared by an increasingly smaller group of people. We've decided to instead move our chats to a Facebook group. 

Enough of my sob story. There are still great Liverpool forums around, starting from this one :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha! Some great comments :)

I've been a member here for 12yrs now and have always enjoyed it. It is just that I "part-owned" bOOTroom (anyone noted the OOT yet?) so it was like a pet project. Quite a few other bOOTroom members were/are members here and it was them who pointed me here back in 2004. 

It sounds simply marvellous.

What were the best bits for you Nerik?

Well pre-Facebook it was a great place to go, share a few jokes, talk about the game/transfers etc. etc. Some great banter. Many like-minded people who became friends over the years. That's what getting kicked out en masse from a discussion forum does to you hehe

Well pre-Facebook it was a great place to go, share a few jokes, talk about the game/transfers etc. etc. Some great banter. Many like-minded people who became friends over the years. That's what getting kicked out en masse from a discussion forum does to you hehe

This forum came from people getting kicked out of or getting sick of Koptalk but it's nothing like you describe.

Edited by drdooom

Yeah a few of us were on Koptalk back in the day too (I was personal friends with Duncan Oldham for a while...another long story hehe). I may be wrong, but I think this place managed to gather a much larger membership mostly due to the fact that a more sizeable amount of the initial members are/were from Liverpool, close to Liverpool or the UK, go to the games, therefore knew each other etc. Then others joined and it grew more and more. A great balance I'd say.