By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Meeting old players (not LFC)

With Cruyff passing, there has been a lot of talk about great players of yesteryear, and it reminded me of a conversation I had with an old guy 3 years ago in Melbourne.

I was in a coffee shop the day after Liverpool's friendly in Melbourne with my son, and a guy asked if we went to the the game and I said yes etc and he started talking to me about football. He said he was originally from Hungary and had played. I said I had seen clips of the famous game at Wembley in 1953 and loved the history of the game. His eyes lit up and we chatted for an hour or so about that game and the WC in 54. He was part of that team in 53 and the squad in 54, he was convinced the referee was corrupt as Hungary should have won the WC and decisons went against them.

He spoke for ages about how good Puskas was - that's what made me wonder how good he was.

I didn't catch the man's name, but it was a great talking to him.

Are there any older members on here who know much about that Hungary team, Murph is the obvious one who would remember that far back.

With Cruyff passing, there has been a lot of talk about great players of yesteryear, and it reminded me of a conversation I had with an old guy 3 years ago in Melbourne.

I was in a coffee shop the day after Liverpool's friendly in Melbourne with my son, and a guy asked if we went to the the game and I said yes etc and he started talking to me about football. He said he was originally from Hungary and had played. I said I had seen clips of the famous game at Wembley in 1953 and loved the history of the game. His eyes lit up and we chatted for an hour or so about that game and the WC in 54. He was part of that team in 53 and the squad in 54, he was convinced the referee was corrupt as Hungary should have won the WC and decisons went against them.

He spoke for ages about how good Puskas was - that's what made me wonder how good he was.

I didn't catch the man's name, but it was a great talking to him.

Are there any older members on here who know much about that Hungary team, Murph is the obvious one who would remember that far back.

That world cup was before I was born you cheeky antipodean c*nt.

I once was in the company of George Best at football camp as a kid and he watched our team training and showed us the Cruyff turn. We were told us he was a legend but I'd never heard of him. I'd heard and read about Ferenc Puskàs though. In fact he was prominent in my pre w***ing fantasies as was Eusebio and I'd never seen either of them play. 

Don't know what the hell this has to do with anything but it seems the thread for mentioning it. Just being helpful I guess.

Edited by Angry Carroll

• 3 weeks later...

I met one of those irish squad members. Think it was Andy Reid. He mumbled something about Trap(pattoni) before his minders ushered him out.

And the Venebles - very small person. I said: "terry, d'you want a beer?" What i should have said was "terry, d'you wanna buy a watch?" "Who's that?" was all my equally diminutive scottish drinking companion could say in response.