By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Tell you who/what I hate...

Stanley Leisure

It’s interesting, a lot depends on body weight and metabolism, but are there any stats on accidents caused by hungover morning drunk drivers ?

Presumably at morning accidents enough people would be breathalysed at the scene.

yeah that does my head in too Jimbo, it ridiculous and its usually the snouts who start it.

There’s no way you’re metabolising 18-20 units to a point where you’re under the limit at 8am. Same alcohol as 2 bottles of wine or 3/4 bottle of whisky

Even risking it is s*** behaviour, especially if you’re driving a large commercial vehicle

Would you drive at 8am after 8 pints the night before?

well its only about 6 pints really isnt it...would i have six pint sand drive next morning,  depends..if im the sort who sits in a room by myself and drinks 8 cans and am constantly on the road, probably.

not excusing it like

8 cans of 5% = 7 pints = 20 units

If he did it with us he's probably doing it most nights - then driving early the next day. Don't think he ate anything that night either - at least there was no rubbish to indicate he had. Might have eaten before getting to us I suppose.

Still can't get my head round thinking that's acceptable.

When my dad was still working he attended his end of year/Christmas session with his workmates up around Glasgow and then drove back home to Warrington the following evening after doing his last day of work for the year. He turned the car over on the M6 near Carlisle and was breathalysed - still way over the limit. Unsurprisingly, he lost his licence for that. 

If he did it with us he's probably doing it most nights - then driving early the next day. Don't think he ate anything that night either - at least there was no rubbish to indicate he had. Might have eaten before getting to us I suppose.

I'm probably being a bit unfair but part of the pissed-offness in your original post did seem to come from him just having had a load of cans in his room and not bought any of your ale.

Still s***, like.

its not

I'm probably being a bit unfair but part of the pissed-offness in your original post did seem to come from him just having had a load of cans in his room and not bought any of your ale.

Still s***, like.

Nah not at all - drink driving in all its forms really pisses me off.

We're pretty chilled about where people get their booze.

People can buy our stuff and it's reasonably priced, kept and served in great condition - or they can bring their own stuff and tell us & we charge them a small amount of corkage (£1 a beer/cider, £5 bottle of wine) and we'll chill it for them and provide nice glasses. Means they can sit out on the patio in the summer or in front of the fire in the lounge in the winter. 'Cos we know when people are driving the next day we'd normally suggest they stop at a reasonable level - hardly ever have to do that though.

The alternative (which we also don't mind) is sitting in their room and drinking warm stuff out of the can - you get the odd guest who's obviously been drinking wine out of the bathroom glasses :)

Ar what point do you stop serving people alcohol Gethin?

We're in a different place to most licensed premises as - unlike a pub - we've got a good idea what the guest is doing the next day.

Depends what time they start and how quickly they're drinking. If we know they're driving the next day usually around the 4 pint / 2 glasses of wine level. Usually just a jokey "You sure? You've got to drive in the morning" works. Same (but with a little more slack) to the Mountain Bikers as the only person they're likely to hurt with a hangover is themselves :)

Only once we had to refuse service and he got the hump and went up to one of the pubs in the village - there's nothing we can do about that

There's no legal responsibility to do this - but I think there's a moral one.

Nah not at all - drink driving in all its forms really pisses me off.

We're pretty chilled about where people get their booze.

People can buy our stuff and it's reasonably priced, kept and served in great condition - or they can bring their own stuff and tell us & we charge them a small amount of corkage (£1 a beer/cider, £5 bottle of wine) and we'll chill it for them and provide nice glasses. Means they can sit out on the patio in the summer or in front of the fire in the lounge in the winter. 'Cos we know when people are driving the next day we'd normally suggest they stop at a reasonable level - hardly ever have to do that though.

The alternative (which we also don't mind) is sitting in their room and drinking warm stuff out of the can - you get the odd guest who's obviously been drinking wine out of the bathroom glasses :)

We're in a different place to most licensed premises as - unlike a pub - we've got a good idea what the guest is doing the next day.

Depends what time they start and how quickly they're drinking. If we know they're driving the next day usually around the 4 pint / 2 glasses of wine level. Usually just a jokey "You sure? You've got to drive in the morning" works. Same (but with a little more slack) to the Mountain Bikers as the only person they're likely to hurt with a hangover is themselves :)

Only once we had to refuse service and he got the hump and went up to one of the pubs in the village - there's nothing we can do about that

There's no legal responsibility to do this - but I think there's a moral one.

I would have thought you would bear some responsibility for willingly letting someone get pissed up and then they got into a bad accident. It sounds to me like you are not only doing the right thing from a moral standpoint, but you are doing the right thing from a liability standpoint too.

surely not, you cant hold a hotel liable for a guest getting steaming then getting in car next day.

A woman in Omaha tried to sue the bar where she got drunk 8 hours before she was done for DUI taking her kids to school. It eventually got tossed out , but not before a few rounds in the courts.

I’m pretty sure we couldn’t be - however I’d have to double check with my wife ‘cos she’s the licencee

the law in the US - and I imagine UK too - while not explicit about the driving part, makes it an offence to serve booze to someone who's intoxicated. Obviously this means you can be held liable if you continue to serve someone who's steaming & then goes off & causes an accident, kicks off etc.

Doesn't mean you will be, but maybe it's partly yo protect the licensee - should they refuse to serve someone - as well as 'don't be a d****ead'

Serving someone that's obviously pissed or under-age could definitely cost us our license. I'm pretty sure we'd be fine with someone who got done the next day though - for one thing I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to prove that they *only* had alcohol from us.

The bloke from the Police who came to inspect us when we opened said that he gets a list of all alcohol related incidents every day (whether driving, violence, vandalism, late-night noise related etc) and checks up on the places that have been serving the people that get nicked. He basically said "if I don't see you on the list, you're unlikely to hear from me again". Of the 7 on-licence premises in the village (!) we're probably the least likely to have issues

Serving someone that's obviously pissed or under-age could definitely cost us our license. I'm pretty sure we'd be fine with someone who got done the next day though - for one thing I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to prove that they *only* had alcohol from us.

The bloke from the Police who came to inspect us when we opened said that he gets a list of all alcohol related incidents every day (whether driving, violence, vandalism, late-night noise related etc) and checks up on the places that have been serving the people that get nicked. He basically said "if I don't see you on the list, you're unlikely to hear from me again". Of the 7 on-licence premises in the village (!) we're probably the least likely to have issues

He's either (a) the most bored/efficient copper in the world or (b) full of s***.

I’m pretty sure we couldn’t be - however I’d have to double check with my wife ‘cos she’s the licencee

I’m a licensee on my beach club and my bartenders can’t serve drunk people. The rules are pretty draconian here and of course the attorneys are a bunch of rabid dogs.

Had a drain blockage. Tried rodding it, got nowhere.

Got professionals out who managed to sort it then sent a camera down to see what the issue was - turns out one of our tree roots have grown into the pipe. They're going to have to use an ultra high pressure water jet to get rid of the roots and then put a heavy duty lining in to ensure they cant grow back in. If you listen carefully you can hear my credit card weeping

Was moaning about this elsewhere - someone suggested it might be covered under my buildings insurance, and it was.

Bloody result 'cos it's a £250 excess and £2800 of work as once they got the initial set of roots out they found a bunch more like it further down. Sent the video from the survey camera to the insurance company and they agreed to pay it without argument.