By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Biased, I know....

But this interview with my old friend Farrukh Quraishi is just great and I'm proud of him, he's a wonderful person with a million attributes. It's 45 minutes long but full of insight about football in the US and around the world. NYR you will appreciate this more than most I reckon.

https://soundcloud.com/david-kline-12/we-chat-sports-farrukh-quraishi-audio

From 6.30 he talks about the players he faced, the list is unbelievable even though they were past their best, Pele, Beckenbaur, George Best and Eusebio

Slightly off topic but would he remember a player called Mike Dillon? He played for Spurs in the 70's but went to America I think, trying to remember what team he played for over there. I worked with Mike for about a year in Newmarket and we were always talking footy.

Slightly off topic but would he remember a player called Mike Dillon? He played for Spurs in the 70's but went to America I think, trying to remember what team he played for over there. I worked with Mike for about a year in Newmarket and we were always talking footy.

He owns a post office in Moulton. Played for a few teams in the NASL including the Cosmos.

Going to listen to this tonight Murph. NASL I'm sure. I wonder what he has to say about Chinaglia.

How do you know him?

Farrukh came to London from Iran when he was 4 years old. It became obvious straight away that is father couldn't look after him so he and his sister were in care until he was 13. He managed to get over speaking no English and passed his 11+ attending Battersea Grammar. At 13 his dad introduced him and his sister to their new step mother and they moved to a council house in Slough. He switched to my school, whilst 3 years older than me our football connections made us firm friends from the off. he was a brilliant ball player and signed for Watford as the first ever 'Persian' to become a pro in England (News of the world), he then went to the US on a scholarship where he won the Heisman trophy and was first draft pick for The Rowdies. His life has been amazing and Farrukh and his wife Lisa raise millions for charity. He's the nicest person I've ever met, he showed my kids a photo on his wall from The Daily Mail, it was him tackling Pele, he had it hidden away in his Den, I made him show them it.

He owns a post office in Moulton. Played for a few teams in the NASL including the Cosmos.

Oh aye? Is that the same Moulton that's close to the Cambridgeshire/Suffolk Border?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Dillon_%28footballer%29

And Post office as in Post Office Limited, a retail post office company in the United Kingdom that provides a wide range of products including postage stamps and banking to the public through its nationwide network of post office branches?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Ltd

Edited by Stanley Leisure

Oh aye? Is that the same Moulton that's close to the Cambridgeshire/Suffolk Border?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Dillon_(footballer)

And Post office as in Post Office Limited, a retail post office company in the United Kingdom that provides a wide range of products including postage stamps and banking to the public through its nationwide network of post office branches?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Ltd

Yup. That's the one.

I found this new fangled thing. It's called Google. On computers. You can put the blokes name in, press the button, and this list comes up. Then, you can go on one that there called Wikipedia. When you click on that, it has all of the information about the bloke on it. It's great. When did you find out about it? It looks like you've got it sorted out OK already.

Yup. That's the one.

I found this new fangled thing. It's called Google. On computers. You can put the blokes name in, press the button, and this list comes up. Then, you can go on one that there called Wikipedia. When you click on that, it has all of the information about the bloke on it. It's great. When did you find out about it? It looks like you've got it sorted out OK already.

Kinda just repeating my joke there. NYR.

Farrukh came to London from Iran when he was 4 years old. It became obvious straight away that is father couldn't look after him so he and his sister were in care until he was 13. He managed to get over speaking no English and passed his 11+ attending Battersea Grammar. At 13 his dad introduced him and his sister to their new step mother and they moved to a council house in Slough. He switched to my school, whilst 3 years older than me our football connections made us firm friends from the off. he was a brilliant ball player and signed for Watford as the first ever 'Persian' to become a pro in England (News of the world), he then went to the US on a scholarship where he won the Heisman trophy and was first draft pick for The Rowdies. His life has been amazing and Farrukh and his wife Lisa raise millions for charity. He's the nicest person I've ever met, he showed my kids a photo on his wall from The Daily Mail, it was him tackling Pele, he had it hidden away in his Den, I made him show them it.

Very cool story Murph. He sounds like a really top guy.

• 5 months later...

Just about the best article ever written by a son about his dad and the gifs are f*cking astonishing/hilarious.

http://www.howlermagazine.com/fellow-professional-decoding-decades-old-photograph-father/

good piece, ta.

That Pele tackle on Marsh is tremendous. Considering the amount of physical abuse Pele took over his career without reacting he must have been f***ing raging with Marsh to do that, more so given the time in between the matches.

good piece, ta.

That Pele tackle on Marsh is tremendous. Considering the amount of physical abuse Pele took over his career without reacting he must have been f***ing raging with Marsh to do that, more so given the time in between the matches.

I was talking with Farrukh ages ago about Pele, about how he'd been attacked on the pitch and knocked the fella out cold with one punch. Apparently everybody knew Pele could really take care of himself and wasn't a man to mess with, I wasn't that surprised when I saw the gif, but carrying on with that rage for a month, Marsh must have really wound him up.