By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The US President

New York Red

8 minutes ago, PaulMcC186 said:

If you spend more in a presidential election campaign do you win 95% of the time?

Freakenomics looked at spending in elections and found no evidence that spending helps as much as people think

https://freakonomics.com/2012/01/17/how-much-does-campaign-spending-influence-the-election-a-freakonomics-quorum/

26 minutes ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

Freakenomics looked at spending in elections and found no evidence that spending helps as much as people think

https://freakonomics.com/2012/01/17/how-much-does-campaign-spending-influence-the-election-a-freakonomics-quorum/

I just seen an article from 2014 that said the biggest spender won 91% of the time. Trump spent far less than Clinton apparently.

It's not saying the highest spender doesn't win - it's ages since I read it so I can't remember the detail now - so yeah, maybe they do win 91% of the time but maybe ot by as much as they 'should' or would be expected to.

I hope that's the case as it's pretty s*** if you can lob a load of cash at it & get elected regardless....then again look at US politics

33 minutes ago, smithdown said:

So how about Jews who vote for Trump?  He patently carries around and bandies about the “you’re good with money, get me a Jew lawyer” etc as well as anyone

Well, there are various levels of disgrace

the ones that I have particular beef with are the ones that betray our heritage and values (in the main) as I see them, rather than the ones of working with people who disrespect us 
I suppose voting for Trump is kind of betraying those values though, so that’s reason enough even without the crass talk

2 hours ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

I wonder if the democratic or republican candidate refused to spend a dollar campaigning, but funnelled every cent into something different, could they be elected. Be an interesting experiment.

25 minutes ago, Falconhoof said:

I wonder if the democratic or republican candidate refused to spend a dollar campaigning, but funnelled every cent into something different, could they be elected. Be an interesting experiment.

Depends what the different thing was I suppose.

If they encroached on the vintage band t-shirt/lego action, then they would not be getting my vote.

I’m seeing 340-198 in the electoral college for Biden.

Dems pick up AZ, CO, ME, NC for sure. They lose AL. They possibly pick up GA, IA, MT, SC. Adding Kentucky would be a grand slam.

I see between 5 and 20 pickups in the House. At least three pickups in Texas which would be a huge indication of what the future looks like.

10 hours ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

it's far easier to target the people you want to target nowadays, with online advertising, so not sure that still holds

7 hours ago, New York Red said:

Dems pick up AZ, CO, ME, NC for sure. They lose AL. They possibly pick up GA, IA, MT, SC. Adding Kentucky would be a grand slam.

I see between 5 and 20 pickups in the House. At least three pickups in Texas which would be a huge indication of what the future looks like.

that sounds a fair, comfortable but not landslide win. Looking at the history - bloody hell - 

Reagan - 489/49 & 525/13

GW Sr - 426/111

Clinton - 370/168 & 379/159

GW Jr - 271/266 & 286/251

Obama - 365/173 & 332/206

Trump - 304/227

Obama's 1st was considered a landslide

any state that actually switches to Trump after the last 4 years should be put on lockdown

18 minutes ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

that sounds a fair, comfortable but not landslide win. Looking at the history - bloody hell - 

Reagan - 489/49 & 525/13

GW Sr - 426/111

Trump - 304/227

Have you guys never heard of mockering, ffs!

:rant:

1 hour ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

Reagan - 489/49 & 525/13

GW Sr - 426/111

Trump - 304/227

Reagan's numbers are insane

12 minutes ago, PaulMcC186 said:

Did they not show Clinton too?

Not in the same ways. Trump's rallies and campaign events produced so many talking points and soundbites that he was able to fill the airwaves of news shows essentially for free.

Clinton got news coverage but not in the same way. And much of it ended up being 'but her emails' related anyway.

33 minutes ago, Cobs said:

presumably the Iranian hostage crisis killing Carter's presidency ?

pretty much, yeah

1 hour ago, Tommok said:

Have you guys never heard of mockering, ffs!

:rant:

hahahahaha - no I was just wondering what 'normal' numbers are like and was quite shocked by the margins for Reagan, GW Sr & Clinton.