By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Michael Owen

Yep, hahahahahahahahaha is now in the Archive - I did check.

Anyway, he gave an interview last month to LFCtv that I am only seeing now. Here is a promo

I flicked on when there was nothing on and ended up leaving it on. I only saw the 2nd half of the interview but from what I saw, it was decent. He spoke frankly and thats all you can ask for.

If he speaks honestly then you can make up your mind. Said he looked to return to Liverpool a few times after leaving but never happened.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We basically had one striker, and an injury prone one at that so it was a bit surprising we never went for him.

Got to be either Rafa's being stubborn/thinking he was s**** or Owen is fibbing and he didn't try that much. He signed for United on a pay-as-you play deal so it can't have been financial.

I'd love to see him interviewed on TAW. If he wants to get a message to the LFC fanbase then TAW is a good forum. Additionally, TAW seem to have some pull to get the names in.

Owen got an easy ride from LFCtv which he wouldnt get from TAW because if he did, the fanbase would not be happy with Neil, Heaton and co.

However, I still wouldnt expect TAW to pander to the more extreme fanbase but it would still be probing which would get even better answers out Owen. Additionally, if Owen came out of an interview well with LFC fans then he'll have achieved what he wants.

Be interesting ...............

I hahe no problem at all with him going to the Mancs. A genuinely massive club, glorious history, big payers and guaranteed title charge... it's a no-brainer; especially for someone at that stage in his career and after the injuries. It's not like he was a boyhood Liverpool fan, declared undying love or even went straight there.

I understand the Madrid pull too.

But it's the 2002 to 2004 contract dodging and lack of bottle in not waiting for us at the time of the Newcastle move (which in all fairness is probably a myth) that made me despise him. But i'm over it. Perhaps not forgiven but kinda forgotten.

We moved onto bigger and better things (Istanbul, Torres, Suarez, Rodgers' style of footy) and he did feck all. He now speaks well of us - not whistful or full of regret but just genuine. Plus he played in the match for the 96 in May (and took on the part of pantomime villain well)... actually, maybe I have forgiven him.

The contract thing was a decision he or/and his advisors made with a view to getting a bigger pay packet from Madrid, screwed the club out of a big £20m+ fee, big at the time, instead we got £8m plus Nunez. He bottled it when the days turned towards August 31st and jumped at NUFC as sitting on the Madrid bench would have messed up his precious England career and his pursuit of top goal scorer. Ironic that injuries sustained while playing for England played a big part in stuffing his career really.

Edited by DPD1973

The contract thing was a decision he or/and his advisors made with a view to getting a bigger pay packet from Madrid, screwed the club out of a big £20m+ fee, big at the time, instead we got £8m plus Nunez. He bottled it when the days turned towards August 31st and jumped at NUFC as sitting on the Madrid bench would have messed up his precious England career and his pursuit of top goal scorer. Ironic that injuries sustained while playing for England played a big part in stuffing his career really.

That's it.

He could have done the right thing. He didn't.

He's a prick.

Rafa wanted him back in 2005. He did not hold out for a move to us and instead went to Newcastle in order to not jeopardise his England career. He was never going to return to Liverpool after that, at least with Rafa in charge........

He's said Madrid gave him no choice, it was Newcastle or no move, despite him being desperate to come to us, and us wanting him. He'd made his bed by then obviously like, with regards to leaving us on the cheap, but still, it was poor decision making by him more than anything.

I'd love to know what happened to force his hand to Newcastle - the day before the transfer happened, I'd heard from someone pretty close to it all that it was 90% likely he'd come to Liverpool. Love to know what actually happened.

I hahe no problem at all with him going to the Mancs. A genuinely massive club, glorious history, big payers and guaranteed title charge... it's a no-brainer; especially for someone at that stage in his career and after the injuries. It's not like he was a boyhood Liverpool fan, declared undying love or even went straight there.

Kuyt said no to united this summer, it's not that hard to turn them down

I'd love to know what happened to force his hand to Newcastle - the day before the transfer happened, I'd heard from someone pretty close to it all that it was 90% likely he'd come to Liverpool. Love to know what actually happened.

Newcastle offered more didn't they

Did the transfer go through on the final day of the window? I remember I was driving down south from Newcastle (on a Tuesday I think it was) when it came in the radio that he'd joined them. Couldn't believe it.

Was that the final day or did he blink earlier than that?

We should have sorted out a buy-back clause when we sold him to Madrid.

He should have also dug his heels in and told Newcastle where to go and Madrid to stop taking the piss.

He also should never have gone in 2004.

If his later options really were limited to Utd, Everton & Hull then it's hard to blame him for going to the Mancs.