By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Things to do to cheer us up

Stanley Leisure

Not sure if ‘cheered up’ is the right term, but I got to see the original armistice document from 1918 today.

I’m at the end of a mini research trip to Paris and the archive just put it on display yesterday ahead of next month so I got to go and see it.

For such an important document I genuinely never thought I’d get to see it in person. Left me a bit strangely emotional to be honest but also genuinely made up that I got to see it.

Amazing - great to see something like that in person. I'm seriously thinking of making a trip to the British Library sometime over the next few weeks to try and see the Anglo-Saxon exhibition - some of the illuminated manuscripts on show are astonishing...

I posted in another thread how my wife and I had had a miscarriage after going through IVF at the start of the year. We did it again a few months ago, it worked and she had her 21 week scan this morning. Everything going great.

The relief each time we have a scan and the (lovely) staff confirm it's all good is unquantifiable.

Brilliant. Congrats mate.

Amazing - great to see something like that in person. I'm seriously thinking of making a trip to the British Library sometime over the next few weeks to try and see the Anglo-Saxon exhibition - some of the illuminated manuscripts on show are astonishing...

The BL put on some really could stuff. I’d plan out the time you visit though as there can be a fairly hefty queue to get into the building at various parts of the day.

They must be s*** grenades if one body can smother their effect.

Hell of a thing to do.

I wonder if there’s a calculation that happens in a split second. You can’t run away quick enough.

The early hand grenades during the war were a mixed lot. They were useful as weapons when they started being adapted but a lot of them were insanely dangerous for the person pulling the pin out.

Moved about 1 1/2 cubic meters of compost and coco into beds in the greenhouse, planted 300 or so bulbs in two planters and otherwise spent a great day in the garden, it's going to hurt tomorrow like but that's about the most effort I've put into a day for as long as I can remember.

• 2 weeks later...

Was it ever confirmed who wrote the HIGNFY stuff?

Bit late to this but it was 2 people on a late 90s comedy forum:

https://thejohnfleming.wordpress.com/2012/10/03/jimmy-savile-the-birth-of-a-paedophile-hoax-on-have-i-got-news-for-you/

Just been given a massive bag of quince

Is there anything you can do with them other than make jam? Not that it's bad jam like.