By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Podcasts

Walrus

I've posted it in this thread before but I've just listened to another couple of episodes and it reminded me that Rule Of Three can be a brilliant listen. 

For anyone who isn't aware of it, it is basically two comedy writers (Jason Hazeley and Joel Morris of the Paddington Bear films, some Charlie Brooker stuff and plenty of other bits and pieces) who invite a guest from the world of comedy to talk about their comedy hero / favourite comedy film / comedy music / comedy series / etc. etc. Sometimes it gets a bit back-slappy but when the guests are good, and when the comedy thing is worth knowing about, it is fantastic, Really enlightening on the way comedy works, how it fails, how it changes, how its different dynamics work in different scenarios - it is, sometimes, just really, really interesting.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Adam Buxton has done two episodes with Chris Morris on. Who it seems is finally doing interviews after all this time.

https://play.acast.com/s/adambuxton

Found the first one really hard work. Love Buxton's podcasts, mainly because he pitches the chat perfectly for my ears, nothing too serious or worthy. Didn't find this one following the same sort of line though.

Have gone through the Chernobyl ones and they are indeed fantastic. Will check out some of the books referenced too.

Slow Burn is back, this series is about Biggie & Tupac

Great, really liked season 1 in particular.

Missing Crytpo Queen is v good. Story of an huge elaborate cryptocurrency swindle. Jamie Bartlett does an excellent job investigating and presenting

The Science of Sport is v good, takes a detailed look at a broad range of issues like drugs in sport, Caster Semenya case, the success of the All Blacks 

I've been binging on the "Armchair Expert" podcast while I commute. 

I used to like the WTF stuff but got a bot bored with Marron trying to make it too much about him.

Dax Sheppard the host of Armchair Expert does similar but from a much warmer place I think, and the interviews delve much more into what the interviewee thinks and feels rather than what they've done in their careers.

And for Sunny fans he's had Charlie, Mac, and Sweet Dee on the show.

I've been binging on the "Armchair Expert" podcast while I commute. 

I used to like the WTF stuff but got a bot bored with Marron trying to make it too much about him.

Yeah, I pick and choose which guests to listen to on WTF. Marron seems to be not very good with women unless he knows them well personally. And if it's a famous bloke he is either a bit bored if he's not properly engaged with their career and work or he's full-on fan boy. It's a great podcast but it has wild highs and lows. 

Maron is the worst thing about his own show, he can be a great interviewer at times and is really good at getting people to open up but he often drifts into self indulgent tangents about his own neuroses, I find it uncomfortable sometimes.

Maron is the worst thing about his own show, he can be a great interviewer at times and is really good at getting people to open up but he often drifts into self indulgent tangents about his own neuroses, I find it uncomfortable sometimes.

Yes, I think a lot of the podcast hosts who are not professional journalists have a tendency to frame the conversations around their own pet topics and foibles - the number of times Adam Buxton reverts to conversations about David Bowie, his favourite film directors, his dad etc.is one of his podcast's weaknesses but is also, undeniably, one of its charms.   

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Heavy Pencil, a two-hander comedy with Tony Gardner and Anna Crilly as a past-it actor and a junior employee at his talent agency. I'd recommend listening from the start to hear how the relationship between the characters develops over the series.