By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

World Cup 2010 (merged threads)

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first is first, second is nothing

personally i think there's a bit too much happiness and partying unsure.gif

That is brilliant. You dutch know how to party. I watched the QF v Brazil in Amsterdam. It was brilliant, such an atmosphere. I wanted to go back over for the final and the homecoming but couldnt get anyone else to go! Sort of gutted watching that cos i wasnt there!

how brilliant is it to see Dirk bouncing about to a bit of music from Armin.

Shame about that documentary about Maradona last night. Could have been great telly - the church of Maradona and his stories about Mafioso and whatnot - but unfortunately the director was a right feckin w*nker and spewed a load of sh*te about himself all over it as if it was about him and he was worth a carrot.

Edited by smithdown

England have risen a place in the Fifa world rankings, despite their woeful showing in the World Cup finals in South Africa.

England managed only one win and two draws during the group stages and then suffered a humiliating 4-1 defeat at the hands of Germany in the knockout round.

The overall performance resulted in England being ranked 13th of the 32 teams competing in the tournament, making it officially the worst England World Cup campaign ever.

But despite that, Fabio Capello's side have risen to seventh place in the latest official rankings. The world and European champions Spain top the list ahead of Holland, Brazil, Germany, Argentina and Uruguay.

Portugal, who lost to the eventual winners Spain in the knockout round, have dropped five places to eighth. Italy, the world champions in 2006, have dropped six places to 11th.

Egypt are ninth and the top 10 is completed by Chile.

Egypt 9th. Really?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/jul/21/jonathan-wilson-the-question-world-cup

This is quite interesting.

I've always liked the idea of a knockout in the first round before going into the group with four groups of sixteen. Means every game would have massive frisson, possibility of an upset and all that.

Four groups of 16? Isnt that a bit too many teams?

Lauren Blanc requested that he be allowed to drop all the World Cup squad for his first game.

Just right too. Feckin going on strike cos a sulky player got sent home for refusing to apologise. Surprised though, i thought it may only be Evra, Anelka and maybe a couple of others.