By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

tonight's movie choice. . .

Stevie H

26 minutes ago, charlie clown said:

The Green Knight. I love a bit of hard core myth and this was really great. Superbly filmed and with some really weird and uncanny content. I want to watch it again already.

I thought it was good as well, that myth is set all around here and north wales as well, Holywell is named after the bit with the drowned girl I believe 

3 hours ago, Jarg Armani said:

I thought it was good as well, that myth is set all around here and north wales as well, Holywell is named after the bit with the drowned girl I believe 

Yes, it's put me in the mood to read the Simon Armitage translation of the original, medieval text. I've got a lovely copy of it but never read it - it's now near the top of my pile.

1 hour ago, Zoob said:

I enjoyed the new Thor movie much more than the Dr Strange one. Thor was deliberately more comedy than anything else, and they did a good job of just being absurd and not taking itself too seriously. Loved the cameos too. 

Watched it last night, thought it was genuinely shi*t. Such a shame after Ragnarok being so good. I like almost all Taika Wiatiti's films a lot but this one was a right bum note.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stevie H said:

Watched it last night, thought it was genuinely shi*t. Such a shame after Ragnarok being so good. I like almost all Taika Wiatiti's films a lot but this one was a right bum note.

Was trying way too hard to be funny,  it almost felt like a spoof 

11 hours ago, Stevie H said:

Agree it wasn't nearly as good as Ragnarok, but still thought it was much better than the recent Dr Strange. Maybe in part it's because I expected Dr Strange to be better, and had zero expectations on Thor. 

26 minutes ago, Zoob said:

Agree it wasn't nearly as good as Ragnarok, but still thought it was much better than the recent Dr Strange. Maybe in part it's because I expected Dr Strange to be better, and had zero expectations on Thor. 

Spoiler

I found the tone of Thor just wrong. It's about the love of your life having stage 4 cancer and a bad guy who wants to kill all the gods in the universe. And you make it a comedy? And make the Thor that ended Avengers Endgame a daft figure? And have Russell Crowe playing Zeus as Super Mario? Whole thing was all over the place for me, really disappointing. Could have been a really interesting dark movie but it was crap and full of holes. Shame. 

56 minutes ago, Stevie H said:
  View spoiler

I found the tone of Thor just wrong. It's about the love of your life having stage 4 cancer and a bad guy who wants to kill all the gods in the universe. And you make it a comedy? And make the Thor that ended Avengers Endgame a daft figure? And have Russell Crowe playing Zeus as Super Mario? Whole thing was all over the place for me, really disappointing. Could have been a really interesting dark movie but it was crap and full of holes. Shame. 

Spoiler

Thor is certainly now primarily a comedic character in the Marvel films and that's generally OK altho they do overdo it a bit. But yeah, it was a bit weird to have a major part of the storyline be about Jane's stage 4 cancer. The bit where she actually told him about the cancer was pretty clumsily dealt with too and it was kind of glossed over immediately. 

I didn't mind the modern take on the Child Catcher from Chitty Bang Bang quite so much. Altho I found the Bale character a bit irritating on the whole. 

Edited by Tommok

1 hour ago, Stevie H said:
  View spoiler

Someone should have told Russel Crowe that Zeus wasn't Italian 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stevie H said:
  Hide spoiler

Yeah, that's fair enough. In the context of what's gone before, it was a weird turn for sure. And re dark vs comedy - dark would have made a better movie, but comedy sells better, and that's all that really matters in this world... 

1 hour ago, Tommok said:
  Hide spoiler

Thor is certainly now primarily a comedic character in the Marvel films and that's generally OK altho they do overdo it a bit. But yeah, it was a bit weird to have a major part of the storyline be about Jane's stage 4 cancer. The bit where she actually told him about the cancer was pretty clumsily dealt with too and it was kind of glossed over immediately. 

I didn't mind the modern take on the Child Catcher from Chitty Bang Bang quite so much. Altho I found the Bale character a bit irritating on the whole. 

Spoiler

The Bale character, Gorr the God Butcher, is supposed to be hell bent on killing all gods because of what happened to his daughter. He has a sword that can kill gods. Then towards the end of the film after he's already beaten up Thor, Valkyrie and Portman Thor once, he had a face off with Thor and decided to change his whole motivation. And go after the axe that could get him access to Eternity where he could have one wish. Apparently he was doing quite well killing assorted gods already but then his mission changed. 

Taika made massive mess of this. It could have been a really good dark movie about loss and vengeance but it was for some reason a comedy about ex girlfriends with cancer and a god killer who had his mind changed by a god saying don't worry mate, I'll take care of your kid even though you don't trust and despise gods. It was all over the place. 

And Roy Kent as Hercules can f*** off as well. Marvel is taking the piss now. 

43 minutes ago, Zoob said:

Yeah, that's fair enough. In the context of what's gone before, it was a weird turn for sure. And re dark vs comedy - dark would have made a better movie, but comedy sells better, and that's all that really matters in this world... 

Avengers Endgame made over 2 billion dollars and that wasn't a comedy. 

I keep forgetting that the whole Marvel thing is now owned by Disney. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Dr Strange 2 should have been a lot better

Thor L&T was always going to be a s*** sandwich.

She-Hulk really, really needs prior knowledge of the character from the comics.

All the movies since Endgame have been crap really. It finished a long story arc there and everything since just feels like money making and each has been full of massive holes. 

8 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

And everything prior has also been full of plot holes too.

End of the day - my inner kid is f***ing loving it. And from what I am hearing from D23, his head is going to fecking explode.

A few yeah. But it felt like Feige's plan ended and was an amazing run. Thank god for that rat in San Francisco etc. I think I'm done now really, the standard has dropped. I care less now. Hope Wakanda Forever is good but otherwise it's over for me now. 

20 minutes ago, Stevie H said:

All the movies since Endgame have been crap really. It finished a long story arc there and everything since just feels like money making and each has been full of massive holes. 

Feels like they've done about four first acts and have barely gone anywhere with the new era 

4 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Bet you it isn't 😉

Well let's see man. I'm not a FF fan so can't care about that. I'd love to see a great version of Silver Surfer but at this point it'd feel a bit crowbarred in. I'd love to see Galactus done properly too but they'll probably cast Brad Pitt as him.