By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Transfer thread

FYI, Kleberson was not a lesser known player, having just won the World Cup. Neither him nor Djemba x 2 were signed for modest fees. We don't seem to go for lesser unknown players, we go for established players or really, really talented youngsters that show a lot of talent.

Sometimes the prices we pay turn out to be good value, sometimes they don't, but overall you can't argue with Ferguson's results.

More to the point, you can't argue with his budget that allows him to take those 'punts'. If he were on a smaller budget equivalent to ourselves, Arsenal etc (Chelsea are freaks in this instance) I suspect you could argue with his results a lot more.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anders Honoré
FYI, Kleberson was not a lesser known player, having just won the World Cup. Neither him nor Djemba x 2 were signed for modest fees.

3.5m - relatively modest.

3.5m - relatively modest.

Ermmm.......I think my point was more aimed at lesser known players, signed for a modest fee, who have gone on and established themselves at one of the big 4. Buying some s***kicker for 3.5 million could be achieved by anyone.

Guest Anders Honoré
Ermmm.......I think my point was more aimed at lesser known players, signed for a modest fee, who have gone on and established themselves at one of the big 4. Buying some s***kicker for 3.5 million could be achieved by anyone.

No, it went like this:

gooner spy: Have united signed anyone lesser known for a modest fee who have established themselves [seeing as the likes of djemba and kleberson were miserably failed attempts at this]?

70400: There was nothing modest about the miserable failures that were kleberson and djemba x 2

anders: 3.5m - djemba was a relatively modest failure.

Edited by Anders Honoré

Spurs set to sign Bostock apparently.

Tottenham set to win race for Palace's star teenager Bostock

Tottenham Hotspur are on the verge of signing the Crystal Palace midfielder John Bostock, acknowledged as one of the brightest emerging talents in English football, after the Championship club admitted they would struggle to retain the teenager.

Bostock became Palace's youngest player when he featured at 15 years and 287 days in the home defeat to Watford last October and he impressed with the England junior sides, most recently captaining the national team at Under-17 level. He has not played as often recently in the Palace first team - he is sitting his GCSEs at his school in Blackfriars - but was on the bench for the recent game at Hull.

Chelsea and Arsenal had hoped to secure his services, with the player able to negotiate a first professional contract having turned 16 in January, and Barcelona had expressed an interest in his development.

Palace had hoped to tie Bostock to a first professional deal at the club he supports but they have conceded that the teenager will leave and hope to agree a deal for about £5m.

Link

Arsenal present they don't buy, but they have spent on Eduardo, Walcott, Diaby, Denilson etc. THe difference is Wenger takes punts on expensive kids, rather than proven players.

Thats still 'only' 25 million, or one Owen Hargreaves.

chelsea

carvalho 20m

Ferreira 13m

now bosingwa for 16

manu getting nani and anderson for 17 a pop.

Add to that maniche for 12m, andrade for 8m, 12m+quaresma for deco. Some quality players to have passed through there in recent years.

Nani was from Sporting.

Thats still 'only' 25 million, or one Owen Hargreaves.

seems to me that a lot of arsenal's bigger signings are 'undisclosed'. there's always been a little ambiguity about exactly how much you've spent on the likes of rosicky, reyes, walcott. i haven't really got the first idea how much eduardo cost. i'm sure there are all sorts of beneficial reasons for not making the exact fees public, but by constantly talking up the idea that you're doing things on a considerably lower budget it seems to me that you're in danger of looking like you lack ambition in the eyes of fans and players.

the rhetoric of hill-wood and wenger over recent weeks is also strange. emphasizing the importance of their integrity, business acumen and of course their fantastic football over and above winning trophies.

seems to me that a lot of arsenal's bigger signings are 'undisclosed'. there's always been a little ambiguity about exactly how much you've spent on the likes of rosicky, reyes, walcott. i haven't really got the first idea how much eduardo cost. i'm sure there are all sorts of beneficial reasons for not making the exact fees public, but by constantly talking up the idea that you're doing things on a considerably lower budget it seems to me that you're in danger of looking like you lack ambition in the eyes of fans and players.

the rhetoric of hill-wood and wenger over recent weeks is also strange. emphasizing the importance of their integrity, business acumen and of course their fantastic football over and above winning trophies.

The walcott deal was settled at a fixed amount as Southampton needed some cold hard cash rather than waiting for the future fees originally agreed. The Reyes deal was majorly based on future achievements. Given that all he really achieved was being a snivelling litte girl, we recouped that money when he went to Madrid.

Arsenal have always chosen not to disclose transfer fees, but they always come out at some point.

fair enough. really think a marquee signing would help arsenal. it's not all about huge fees, or names, (in fact it's often the exact opposite) but i do think that on occasion a really big statement of intent can give something extra to everyone involved.

lescott would be a good signing, although i haven't seen much of him at centre-back, which is where i presume he'd slot in.

Yep, far too English.

Arf arf. Wasnt too keen at first, but more I think of it, could be an excellent piece of business, if the money was right. Really really wish he would accept defeat in the hairline battle and shave it all off though.

Guest The_Drunken_Clam
Exactly. A player doesnt need to have an exorbitant price tag to be any good. Just need clever scouts and a manager prepared to take a punt on the lesser known players. Its one limitation of Ferguson that over the years, when he has tried to do that, he has failed miserably (Kleberson, Djemba Djemba etc).

In fact, is there one good example between Chelsea and Man Utd in the past 5 years of a lesser known player signed for a modest fee who has gone on to establish themselves? I genuinely cant think of one?

What's your definition of lesser known players then, because if you're going to start talking about some of the young players Wenger has snatched from academies, you need your head checked.

Fergie has been quite clever in the transfer market during the last years, he made several blunders when he signed the likes of Liam Miller, Kleberson, The Djemba twins, but he seems to be on a "good run" these days.

The amusing bit is that Arsenals wages are basicly as high as Uniteds

Edited by The_Drunken_Clam

Fergie has been quite clever in the transfer market during the last years, he made several blunders when he signed the likes of Liam Miller, Kleberson, The Djemba twins, but he seems to be on a "good run" these days.

Thats because he is paying £17m+ for the likes of Nani and Andresson instead of the 3-4m he used to pay for Kleberson and Djemba djemba

Guest The_Drunken_Clam
Thats because he is paying £17m+ for the likes of Nani and Andresson instead of the 3-4m he used to pay for Kleberson and Djemba djemba

Which, if they keep progressing the way they have, will be money well spent.

Not to mention the signing of VDS, Evra, Vidic, Park,

What's your definition of lesser known players then, because if you're going to start talking about some of the young players Wenger has snatched from academies, you need your head checked.

Almunia, Toure, Clichy, Sagna, Senderos, Denilson, Diaby, Eboue, Adebayor would all fit what I am talking about. Modest transfer fees (not free), and lesser known (not toally unknown, but certainly not household names across Europe).

Guest The_Drunken_Clam
Almunia, Toure, Clichy, Sagna, Senderos, Denilson, Diaby, Eboue, Adebayor would all fit what I am talking about. Modest transfer fees (not free), and lesser known (not toally unknown, but certainly not household names across Europe).

Almunia isn't much of a great signing

Toure was a great signing

Clichy was unknown and an excellent signing

Sagna was far from unknown

Senderos was far from unknown

Denilson was far from unknown

Diaby wasn't unknown

Adebayor wasn't exactly unknown either

Diaby wasn't unknown

Not wenger's biggest fan my self but you are talking a lot of s**** there, Adabayor wasn't unkown, but he also wasn't on any shopping list for any of the major clubs, Wenger took a gamble on him and it paid off big time. Sagna, Sendros, Danilson and Diaby were all relatively unkown.

Guest The_Drunken_Clam
Not wenger's biggest fan my self but you are talking a lot of s**** there, Adabayor wasn't unkown, but he also wasn't on any shopping list for any of the major clubs, Wenger took a gamble on him and it paid off big time. Sagna, Sendros, Danilson and Diaby were all relatively unkown.

I didn't say that the signing of Adebayor wasn't a good one, just that he wasn't unknown.

Sagna had been great in France for some time, he was in the the team of the year as well. Senderos was a highly rated talent, even United were trying to sign him.

They weren't relatively unknown.

Diaby wasn't unknown

Id say none of those players were well known. Had heard about one or two, but the only one i knew anything about was Senderos and that was because we were also interested in him.