By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Inheritance Tax

matty

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the threshold should be adjusted without doubt....at the rate houses prices over here are going up every f***** who bought a house during the 60s and 70s arent gonna be able to leave their kids f*** all....if they have anything to leave.

6% of households have assets above the threshold. That needs lowering, not raising.

If the threshold was increased or the primary family property exempt from the tax I wouldn't have a strong objection to it.

As it stands a 2 bed flat in the a*** end of nowhere takes you over the limit.

What an ar5e about face article.

"It's not a tax on middle classes, it's a tax on the rich"?? You must be f***ing joking if you believe that.

"Six per cent of households are rich enough to pay inheritance tax". The nonsensical ramblings of a ten year old.

Actually the rich (whoever they are) don't pay this tax at all. They are rich enough NOT to pay inheritance tax. The system is inherently flawed.

When it causes people to sell the family home in order to pay for it, yes.

It's also money that when earned has been taxed to (generally) the fullest extent.

But the tax isn't paid by the person who earned the money. It's paid by the estate. Dead people can't pay taxes.

And I doubt very much whether people have to sell houses to pay for the tax. How many people are still living in the family house, which is in their last surviving relative's name, which is worth so much over £285,000?

If the threshold was increased or the primary family property exempt from the tax I wouldn't have a strong objection to it.

As it stands a 2 bed flat in the a*** end of nowhere takes you over the limit.

2 bedroom flats worth 285k are not generally in the a*** end of nowhere.

Exempting primary family property smells of a loophole to me. And would basically take away the main purpose of it too.

And I doubt very much whether people have to sell houses to pay for the tax.

You are very wrong in that assumption.

And the tax has to be paid immediately (within six months of death now, isn't it??) regardless of whether the asset (house) has been sold. As I said, the system is inherently flawed.