Manchester United v Liverpool (09/01/2011) - Down Memory Lane
Friday, 7th January 2011

As we prepare to face Manchester United for the sixteenth time in the FA Cup on Sunday, YNWA takes a look back at our previous encounters in the competition.

Most recently
Peter Crouch headed the only goal of the game as we beat Manchester United in an FA Cup tie for the first time in 85 years, in our Fifth Round fixture at Anfield in February 2006. United substitute Alan Smith broke his leg in a challenge with John Arne Riise. We of course went on to claim the trophy for the seventh time that season.

Other rare victories
We won 2-1 at Old Trafford in a First Round replay in January 1921, when Billy Lacey and Harry ‘Smiler' Chambers were on target as we came from behind while wearing a rare blue and white kit. However, we lost to Newcastle United in the next round. We had drawn the first match in L4 four days earlier, with Harry Chambers nabbing our goal.

Our first ever meeting in the Cup came when United were still known as Newton Heath. We share a goalless draw at Bank Street in a Second Round fixture in February 1898, before winning the Anfield replay four days later. We came from behind to win 2-1 thanks to left-back Billy Dunlop's first reds goal and forward Dan Cunliffe's sixth and final reds goal. We were knocked out by Derby County in the next round.

In the Final
We have twice come up against our foes from down the East Lancs Road in the Wembley showpiece of this competition, both times ending up on the losing side. Our first treble dream died in May 1977, as Jimmy Case equalised just two minutes after Stuart Pearson had given United the lead. However, only three minutes later Jimmy Greenhoff scored the winning goal, to take the cup to Old Trafford for the first time in fourteen years.

22 years later, we suffered a huge disappointment when we lost the FA Cup Final through a late Eric Cantona strike. The uninspiring game is perhaps best remembered for Liverpool's white Armani suits.

Despair at the final hurdle
Terry McDermott's penalty hit a post and bounced away with the scores at 1-1 in our Maine Road Semi-final with United in March 1979. The game ended 2-2, with Kenny Dalglish and Alan Hansen on target, and we were knocked out in the replay at Goodison five days later, when we lost to a Jimmy Greenhoff goal. They went on to lose an end-to-end final to Arsenal. This was Emlyn Hughes' 665th and final reds game.

Six years later, we were held to a 2-2 draw at Goodison Park after extra time, with Ronnie Whelan on target and substitute Paul Walsh grabbing a second equaliser with less than a minute of the additional period remaining. Four days afterwards we went down 2-1 at Maine Road, with our goal scored by United's Paul McGrath. Bryan Robson and Mark Hughes struck the goals that took United to Wembley to face Everton.

Double Trigger's farewell
Jason McAteer played his 139th and final reds game in January 1999, as a substitute for Paul Ince in our cruel 2-1 defeat at Old Trafford in a Fourth Round fixture. Michael Owen gave us an early lead, but United struck twice in the dying minutes, through Dwight Yorke and Ole Gunnar Solskjær. We also lost to United at the same stage on exactly the same day back in 1948, going down 3-0 at Goodison Park.

Other defeats
We were knocked out in the First Round in February 1903, with Sam Raybould grabbing our consolation at United's old Bank Street ground. In January 1960, we lost 3-1 in a Fourth Round tie at Anfield, with Johnny Wheeler grabbing our goal. Bobby Charlton bagged a brace for the visitors.

LFC Wire
LFC Post   LFC Live
 Other News
 On this day in Liverpool history