Manchester United v Liverpool (09/01/2011) - Double Agents
Friday, 7th January 2011

In advance of our FA Cup encounter at Old Trafford on Sunday, YNWA looks back at the careers of some of those who have represented both sides.

Saint no more
Michael Owen signed for the reds as a professional in December 1996, going on to net 158 goals in 297 games before leaving Anfield in August 2004 to join Real Madrid for £8m. He had helped us to claim the UEFA Cup, FA Cup, League Cup, UEFA Super Cup and FA Charity Shield, as well as being voted European Footballer of the year in his time at Anfield. He joined United on a free transfer in July 2009 after his contract with Newcastle United had expired. He has so far struck twelve times in 38 outings for United, 24 of which have been from the bench.

An Old Trafford legend
Sir Matt Busby came to Anfield from Manchester City in an £8,000 deal in March 1936. The right-half captained the reds, and made 125 first-team appearances before the war intervened. He was offered the top job at Old Trafford at the end of hostilities, leading them to five League titles and two FA Cups, as well as the European Cup in 1968. Former team-mate Bob Paisley said, "It was only right that United, under Matt, should be the first English club to win the trophy."

1990's double agents
Peter Beardsley spent a season with United without making much impact, only making one appearance in the League Cup. He arrived at Anfield from Newcastle United for £1.9m in July 1987, and struck 59 times in 175 reds games, helping us to claim two League titles, the FA Cup and two FA Charity Shields before being sold across the park for £1m in August 1991.

Paul Ince had his most successful spell with United, helping them to two League titles, two FA Cups, the European Cup Winners' Cup, UEFA Super Cup, League Cup and two FA Charity Shields having signed from West Ham United for £1m in September 1989. He left United for Internazionale for £7m in June 1995, and joined the reds from there in a £4.2m deal in July 1997, going on to make 81 appearances, and scoring seventeen goals. However, he was past his best, and became an unruly influence in the dressing room. Gérard Houllier sold him to Middlesbrough for £1m in July 1999.

Striking stars
Centre-forward Phil Chisnall is the most recent player to make the direct switch between the two clubs, when Bill Shankly signed him for £25,000 in April 1964, after ten goals in 47 United games. He never established himself, netting twice in nine appearances, leaving for Southend United in August 1967. Outside-right Jackie Sheldon arrived from Old Trafford in November 1913, remaining at Anfield until he retired nine years later, after grabbing twenty goals in 147 reds games.

Outside-left Fred Hopkin arrived from Old Trafford for £2,800 in May 1921 and helped us to consecutive League titles. However, he was best known as the man whose goal set the Anfield Road end on fire! He was a rare goalscorer, and when he finally struck against Bolton Wanderers in March 1923, there were great celebrations. Seconds later, flames rose from the stand, which had to be evacuated. He scored a total of twelve goals in 360 reds games. Scottish winger Tommy Robertson signed from Heart Of Midlothian for £175 in March 1898, netting 34 times in 141 reds games and helping us to claim the League title in 1901 before returning to Tynecastle in May 1902. He joined United after a spell with Dundee, for whom he made just three outings.

Scottish double agents
Scottish international inside-forward Tom Miller signed for £400 from Hamilton Academicals in February 1912 and struck 56 times in 146 reds games, appearing in our first FA Cup Final in 1914. He was suspended for his part in the 1915 match-fixing scandal involving the reds and Manchester United, and then moved to Old Trafford in September 1920. Another Scottish international, half-back Neil McBain, played for both United and Everton before arriving at Anfield from St. Johnstone for £1,000 in March 1928. He only stayed eight months, playing twelve times before joining Watford. Centre-forward Tom Reid signed from Clydebank for £1,000 in April 1926 and struck thirty times in just 55 reds games, but was sold to Manchester United in February 1929, for whom he bagged 67 goals in 101 outings. Inside-right George Livingstone was only at Anfield for a year after signing from Celtic in May 1902, making 32 appearances before joining Manchester City, and ended his career with United. He amazingly played for both the big sides in Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester!

Ted MacDougall never made our first team, appearing for our reserves in 1966/67. He enjoyed his greatest success with Norwich City in the mid-1970's, for whom he banged in 66 goals in 138 games. He had previously endured an unsuccessful spell with United. Scottish left-half Jimmy McInnes made 51 reds appearances after signing from Third Lanark in March 1938 for £5,500. He guested with United during the war, and later became Club Secretary at Anfield. However, he sadly hanged himself in the turnstile area of the Kop, just four days after we had claimed the FA Cup for the first time.

Other double agents
Forward Michael Nardiello started out with Torquay United and moved to Anfield from Manchester United in the summer of 2005, joining West Bromwich Albion in July 2006 after being an unused sub in both legs of our victorious FA Youth Cup Final in 2006. He had been joined at Anfield by another youngster from Old Trafford, Ramon Calliste. The Welsh Under-21 international was released by United at the end of the 2004/05 season but left the reds for Scunthorpe United in July 2006.

Keeper Stephen Pears was second choice behind Gary Bailey at United, and later sat on our bench five times as understudy to David James after signing from Middlesbrough on a free transfer in August 1995, without getting onto the pitch. Salford-born full-back Tom McNulty arrived from Old Trafford for £7,000 in February 1954, having helped them to the League title in 1952, stepping down a division in the process. He went on to play 36 times for the reds before being offloaded to Hyde United four years later. Utility man Tom Chorlton joined the reds in May 1904 for free from Accrington Stanley, leaving Anfield for Old Trafford in August 1912 after notching eight times in 121 reds games. Right-half Ted Savage joined United from the reds in January 1938 after 105 games following his arrival from Lincoln City in May 1931. He made his debut as a forward, netting twice in a 4-0 defeat of Grimsby Town at Anfield that September, his only reds strikes.

Centre-half Allenby Chilton started his career with Seaham Colliery before joining the reds as an amateur in the summer of 1938. He joined Manchester United in November of that year without having played a senior reds game, going on to help them to the 1948 FA Cup and League title four years later. He was made club captain during the 1953/54 season but left the club in March 1955 after 389 United games to become player-manager for Grimsby Town.

Left-winger Peter Kippax joined the reds as an amateur from Burnley in 1948. He made one League outing, against Birmingham City in March 1949, having already netted in a Wartime League fixture for the reds against Bolton Wanderers in August 1945, before moving on to Yorkshire Amateurs in 1950. He had guested for Manchester United during the war. Forward William Hunter signed from Airdrieonians in December 1908, but only made one senior appearance before returning to his hometown to sign for Sunderland in May 1909. He later netted twice in three games for United, making his debut against the reds in March 1913.

LFC Wire
LFC Post   LFC Live
 Other News
 On this day in Liverpool history