Liverpool v Queens Park Rangers (10/12/2011) - Down Memory Lane
Thursday, 8th December 2011

YNWA takes a look back at some memorable past top-flight visits from Queens Park Rangers as we welcome them for the 21st time in the League on Saturday. Our record is outstanding, so far reading seventeen wins, two draws and just one defeat.

Most recently
Rangers' most recent visit to Anfield resulted in another reds victory with Neil Ruddock bagging the only goal in August 1995.

Clinching the title
We secured our eighteenth and most recent League title in April 1990, beating the Hoops 2-1 thanks to an Ian Rush strike and a John Barnes penalty. Recent reserves keeper Paul Harrison was our mascot that day!

Off the mark
Steve Harkness made his reds debut on his twentieth birthday in our 1-0 victory, when Dean Saunders struck his first reds goal.

Other reds debutants
Jimmy Case made his reds bow in our 3-1 win in April 1975, when John Toshack netted a brace to add to a Kevin Keegan penalty. This was our final game of the season, as we ended up in second place behind Derby County.

In August 1978, Kenny Dalglish opened the scoring before Paul McGee scored one of only four opposition goals in the League at Anfield that season, although we still won the game 2-1, with Steve Heighway netting late on. Left-back Alan Kennedy made his reds bow while Emlyn Hughes and Ray Clemence had paraded the European Cup prior to kick off, with Bob Paisley being presented with his Manager of the Month award for the previous April.

Aldo again
John Aldridge scored in his tenth consecutive League game, including one from the previous season, netting from the spot as we won 4-0. Craig Johnston had a goal chalked off but also scored, while John Barnes bagged a brace. This goalscoring run remains a joint top-flight record, for any club, and took him to twelve goals already that season. Ex-red Ian Rush was watching in the crowd.

Later that day, Kenny Dalglish, Peter Robinson and Chairman John Smith met with Ray Houghton and his wife at a Southport restaurant to agree to his £825,000 transfer from Oxford United, which was finalised two days later.

Double dismissal
The visitors had both Simon Barker and Les Ferdinand sent off in our 3-2 win in December 1993. John Barnes and Ian Rush added to Jan Mølby's penalty.

Double failure
Mike Marsh had a penalty saved by Tony Roberts before Ian Rush headed in the only goal. John Barnes then struck a second spot-kick wide.

We lost for the only time in this fixture in March 1991, with Les Ferdinand heading in his seventh goal in as many games to put them in front. Roy Wegerle pounced on a slack Steve Staunton back-pass to double their half-time lead. Jan Mølby converted a spot-kick before Peter Beardsley struck a post, but substitute Clive Wilson scored with his first touch to make the final score 3-1.

Ton up for Peter
Midfielder Peter Cormack played his hundredth reds game as we won 2-1 in April 1974 thanks to an Alec Lindsay penalty and an own goal from Terry Mancini.

Another big win
We secured another big victory when we beat Rangers 4-1 in March 1986, despite Leroy Rosenior giving the visitors the lead after just seven minutes. Player/Manager Kenny Dalglish returned to the side and was instrumental in our win as Steve McMahon bagged a brace with Ian Rush and John Wark also on target, as ex-red Michael Robinson featured for the Hoops.

LFC Wire
LFC Post   LFC Live
 Other News
 On this day in Liverpool history