Liverpool v Queens Park Rangers (10/12/2011) - Double Agents
Thursday, 8th December 2011

As we prepare for our League meeting at Anfield on Saturday afternoon, YNWA looks at the careers of some of those who have represented both the Hoops and the mighty reds.

Recent striking stars
Peter Crouch joined his boyhood heroes Queens Park Rangers from Tottenham Hotspur for £60,000 in July 2000. He struck twelve times in 47 games for the west London outfit before joining Portsmouth for £1.25m a year later. He arrived at Anfield for £7m in July 2005 after a successful season with Southampton, when he had bagged sixteen goals in 33 games as the Saints were relegated. He struck 42 times in 134 reds games, despite not notching in his first nineteen outings, helping us to claim the FA Cup and FA Community Shield, but was sold to Portsmouth for a fee of up to £11m in July 2008.

Paul Walsh signed from Luton Town for £700,000 in May 1984 and struck 37 times in 112 reds games, winning a League title and the Screen Sport Super Cup before joining Tottenham Hotspur for £500,000 in February 1988. He joined the Hoops on loan in September 1991, but played only twice before returning to north London.

Joe Fagan brought the Irish international Michael Robinson to Anfield in August 1983 from Brighton & Hove Albion for £250,000. In his first season at the club he won the League title and European Cup, bagging a total of thirteen goals in 52 games during his Anfield career. He was sold to Queens Park Rangers for £100,000 in December 1984, netting five times in 48 League games and helping them to reach the League Cup Final in 1986. He moved to Spain in January 1987 to sign for Club Atlético Osasuna and is now a much respected football pundit and commentator for Spanish television.

In the middle
Sammy Lee had a fine career in the reds midfield, bagging nineteen goals in 295 games, helping us to two European Cups, four League titles, four League Cups and the FA Charity Shield. He left the reds to join QPR in August 1986, playing thirty League games before joining Michael Robinson at Club Atlético Osasuna a year later. He returned to Anfield as a coach in 1992, initially being put in charge of the reserves. He left the backroom staff in the summer of 2004 for a full-time post with England, before joining Bolton Wanderers, but returned to Anfield in May 2008 as Assistant Manager, remaining in that role for three years.

Nigel Spackman was sold to Queens Park Rangers for £500,000 in February 1989 after losing his place to Ronnie Whelan. He had made 63 first-team appearances without scoring, winning a League title medal in his one full season at Anfield. He only stayed at Loftus Road for nine months before joining Rangers in Scotland for the same fee, netting twice in 33 outings while in west London.

The management
Ex-reserves midfielder Jim Magilton was appointed Manager of Queens Park Rangers in June 2009. He only remained in charge for six months before being suspended after an alleged clash with a player after a game at Watford, following which he left by mutual consent. He had only made it to our bench on two occasions, for the FA Charity Shield games in 1988 and 1990.

After graduating, Mark Browes became QPR's Head Physiotherapist. Two years later he was head-hunted to become a first team physio at Melwood. He stayed with the reds for seven seasons, working as the Head Physiotherapist during his last campaign. He now works in private practice in Chester. Wing-half Bobby Campbell struck twice in 25 first-team appearances for the reds after signing on as a professional in May 1954, before joining Portsmouth in 1961. He later had a successful managerial career with Fulham, Portsmouth and Chelsea, also coaching at Loftus Road.

Between the sticks
Paul Jones joined Queens Park Rangers on a free transfer from Wolverhampton Wanderers in February 2006. He turned out 26 times for the R's before retiring from the professional game at the end of the following season. He had made two appearances while on loan from Southampton at Anfield in January 2004

Mike Kelly was first-team coach under Roy Hodgson during his unsuccessful spell in L4 last season. The keeper turned professional with the Hoops in 1966, playing 66 League games in four seasons while at Loftus Road before moving to Birmingham City. Dave Underwood signed from Watford for £7,000 in December 1953, playing fifty reds games before returning to Vicarage Road in July 1956. He had spent three seasons with QPR before moving to Watford for the first time.

Wartime double agents
Left-half Jimmy McInnes signed from Third Lanark for £5,500 in March 1938. He netted once in 48 outings, playing a further 34 Wartime games for the reds. He also guested with QPR during the war. He became Club Secretary at Anfield in 1955, sadly hanging himself in the turnstile area of the Kop in May 1965, just four days after we had claimed the FA Cup for the first time.

Left-half Joe Dines won Olympic Gold in 1912 before giving up his teaching job and signing for the reds from Ilford later that year. However, he only made one senior reds appearance, and was killed in action in September 1918. He had turned out for QPR before joining Ilford.

Other double agents
Neil Ruddock played 152 games for the reds after being signed from Tottenham Hotspur for £2.5 million, bagging twelve goals and helping us to the Coca-Cola Cup in 1995. He joined QPR on loan in March 1998, playing seven times, leaving Anfield for £100,000 to join West Ham United four months later. Winger Jimmy Carter joined Queens Park Rangers from Crystal Palace on a free transfer in September 1985. He did not make the first team at Loftus Road, moving on to Millwall for £15,000 in March 1987. He spent just nine months at Anfield after signing from Millwall for £800,000 in January 1991, making only eight appearances before leaving for Arsenal at a loss of £300,000.

Abraham Foxall played just one senior reds game, as a forward in our 2-0 home League defeat by Derby County in October 1899 having signed from Gainsborough Trinity earlier that year. He left the reds to return to amateur football with QPR. Defender Bill Cockburn signed from Stockport County in May 1924. He played 67 times without scoring before joining the Hoops in July 1928. Half-back Bill Keech played just six Second Division games in late 1895, having signed from Barnsley St. Peter's that October, helping us to claim the title that season. He later played as a forward for Leicester Fosse, before returning to the half-back line with Queens Park Rangers' first professional team in the Southern League.

Scottish forward Robert Colvin only ever made three senior appearances after signing on in November 1897, without finding the net, and then joined Glossop North End the following year with Rangers among his subsequent clubs. Outside-left Hugh McQueen signed from Leith Athletic in October 1892 and made 61 reds appearances, bagging eighteen goals, helping us to the Lancashire League and Second Division titles in successive seasons, before joining Derby County in July 1895, later also playing for QPR.

Scottish right-half Jock McNab signed from Bellshill Athletic in November 1919 and helped us to two League titles in the 1920's, netting six times in 222 reds games before moving to Queens Park Rangers in June 1928. Forward James Collins signed from Walsall in January 1936, but failed to score in seven reds games before joining Cardiff City the following May, for whom he bagged forty goals in 75 League outings. Rangers had been one of his first clubs.

LFC Wire
LFC Post   LFC Live
 Other News
 On this day in Liverpool history