Liverpool v Sunderland (13/08/2011) - Double Agents
Thursday, 11th August 2011

As we prepare to entertain Sunderland in our opening game of the season on Saturday, YNWA looks at the careers of some of those who have represented both sides.

Current double agents
Midfielder Jordan Henderson arrived from Sunderland in June for a reported £16m, and will be hoping to make his first-class bow against his former club, for whom he netted five times in 79 outings after signing professional terms in July 2008. Stewart Downing joined the Black Cats on loan from Middlesbrough in October 2003, bagging three goals in seven games. He signed from Aston Villa for £20m last month.

Dave Galley joined Sunderland as Senior Physiotherapist in June 2010. He had roles with Port Vale, Fulham, Luton Town and Sheffield Wednesday before joining the reds as a physiotherapist in the summer of 1999. He left in 2005 but returned to Melwood for a second spell in 2009.

The lord of Frodsham
French striker Djibril Cissé arrived at Anfield for a club record £14m fee in July 2004. His first season was one of tremendous ups and downs, including a horrific leg break and converting a penalty in the Champions League Final shoot-out. He bagged a total of 24 goals in 79 reds games, but spent a season on loan at Olympique de Marseille, for whom he signed permanently for £6.3m in July 2007. He spent the 2008/09 season on loan at the Stadium Of Light from the French side, notching eleven times in 38 outings.

Other recent double agents
El-Hadji Diouf joined the reds for £10m from Racing Club de Lens in June 2002, but only netted six times in eighty games. He was sold to Bolton Wanderers in June 2005 for £4.5m after a season-long loan. He signed for the Mackems in July 2008, failing to score in sixteen games before moving on to Blackburn Rovers for £2.5m in January 2009. Boudewijn Zenden signed on a free transfer in July 2005 after his one-year contract with Middlesbrough had expired. He struck twice in 47 senior reds games as injury hampered his career at Anfield. He helped us to claim the UEFA Super Cup and FA Community Shield, as well as reach the Champions League Final in his brief time with the reds. Bolo left the club in July 2007 to join Olympique de Marseille. He moved to Sunderland in October 2009, scoring four times in fifty outings, although only thirteen of those were starts, and was released at the end of last season.

Anthony Le Tallec spent a season on loan with Sunderland in 2005/06, having struggled to break through to the first team at Anfield. He struck once in 32 reds appearances, and bagged five goals in 31 games as the Black Cats were relegated back to the Championship with just three wins and fifteen points. He is now back in France playing for Auxerre. Right-back Stephen Wright made 21 reds appearances before moving to Sunderland for £3m in August 2002. He netted twice in 105 games for them, with injuries blighting his time there before being released in May 2008. Don Hutchison struck ten times in sixty first-team appearances before joining West Ham United for £1.5m in August 1994. He moved to Sunderland from Everton for £2.5m in July 2000, but only lasted a year on Wearside before returning to the Hammers, grabbing ten goals in 39 games while in the North East.

Jason McAteer signed from Bolton Wanderers for £4.5m in September 1995, just five months after impressing against the reds in the Coca Cola Cup Final. He bagged six goals in his 139 reds games before joining Blackburn Rovers for £4m in January 1999. He joined Sunderland from Ewood Park for £1m in October 2001, and struck five goals in 61 appearances for the Black Cats. Phil Babb arrived at Anfield from Coventry City for a club record £3.6m, also the British record fee for a defender. He netted once in 170 reds appearances before being released on a free transfer to Sporting Clube de Portugal in July 2000. He then moved onto Sunderland for free in May 2002. However, he was unable to keep them in the Premiership in his first season at the Stadium Of Light, making sixty appearances in total without netting. McAteer and Babb were both released by Sunderland in May 2004. McAteer went on to join Tranmere Rovers, while Babb retired from the game.

Top scorers
Sam Raybould signed from New Brighton Tower for £250 in January 1900 and was the first player to score a hundred League goals for the reds, a feat he achieved in 162 matches. He was top scorer with seventeen when we won the title for the first time in 1901 and moved on to Sunderland in May 1907 after a total of 130 goals in 226 reds games, having helped us to two League titles and the Second Division championship. He notched thirteen times in 27 League outings in his one season with the North East club, before moving on to Woolwich Arsenal.

Joe Hewitt arrived from Sunderland for £150 in February 1904, and was top scorer as we won the title for the second time in 1906, netting a total of 74 goals in 164 reds games before joining Bolton Wanderers in August 1910. He also served the reds as a coach, handyman and finally press box attendant in over sixty years' service. Sunderland-born Robbie Robinson moved to the reds for £500 from his hometown club in the same month as Hewitt. He was top scorer as we won the Second Division title the following season, and also helped us claim the First Division championship in 1906. During the latter stages of his time with the reds, he moved into the half-back line but still bagged a total of 65 goals in 271 games.

In goal
Ned Doig made 53 reds appearances, helping us to the Second Division title in 1905, and playing on until 1908, finishing as our oldest ever player aged 41 years and 165 days. He had signed from Sunderland for £150 in August 1904, with whom he made 452 senior appearances, helping them to claim four League titles in his fourteen years there. Former reserves custodian Alec Chamberlain joined Sunderland on a free transfer from Luton Town in July 1993. He made 108 appearances for the Wearsiders, moving on to Watford for £40,000 three years later.

Mark Prudhoe signed as a professional for Sunderland in September 1981. He only made seven first-team appearances for the Wearsiders before joining Birmingham City three years later. He was loaned to the reds from Stoke City in November 1994, but never made our first team, although he was an unused substitute eight times. Bob Bolder signed from Sheffield Wednesday for £125,000 in 1983, after more than 200 games for the Owls. He never made our first team, but sat on the bench at the 1984 European Cup Final in Rome, one of seventeen times he did so in Europe's premier club competition, also doing so on four other occasions. He moved on to Sunderland for £100,000 the following year after a month-long loan spell, playing 22 League games in 1985/86 before joining Charlton Athletic.

Also up front
Albert Stubbins was an amateur with Sunderland prior to joining Newcastle United, and later guested for them during the war. He arrived from St. James's Park for a British record £12,500 fee in September 1946 and struck 83 times in 178 reds matches, helping to power us to the first League championship played after the Second World War. He became a scout for the club in 1954, a post he held for the rest of the decade, and was the only footballer to appear on the cover of The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album. Forward Tom Scott signed from Darlington in February 1925, whom he had joined from Sunderland, making eighteen reds appearances and notching four times before joining Bristol City in October 1928.

David Hodgson joined the reds from Middlesbrough for £450,000 in August 1982. He never fully established himself in his two years at Anfield, scoring ten times in 49 appearances, although he did claim a League championship medal and helped us to clinch the FA Charity Shield before he left for Sunderland. He went on to bag five goals in fifty League games on Wearside, before moving on to Norwich City after two seasons. Dave Wright bagged 35 goals in exactly a century of reds games after signing from Sunderland in March 1930. He remained at Anfield until July 1934, when he joined Hull City for £1,000. Centre-forward George Ainsley played just four times for the Roker Park outfit, and guested for the reds during the Second World War.

Left at the back
Sunderland-born left-back Alan Kennedy is best remembered for his winning strikes in two European Cup Finals, but also won five League titles, four League Cups and three FA Charity Shields after moving from Newcastle United for £330,000 in August 1978, making 359 appearances and notching twenty times in his seven years at Anfield. He joined Sunderland for £100,000 in September 1985, where he notched twice in 54 League games. Dominic Matteo joined Sunderland on loan in March 1995. He played just one first-team game while on Wearside, returning to establish himself at Anfield. He played 155 games for us before leaving for Leeds United in a £4m deal in August 2000.

Barry Venison notched twice in 205 games for the Roker Park outfit, including becoming the youngest skipper at a Wembley final for the 1985 Milk Cup, before moving to Anfield for £200,000 in July 1986. He went on to make 158 appearances, winning two League titles, an FA Cup and two FA Charity Shields in his time at Anfield. Scottish international left-back Billy Dunlop signed from Abercorn for £35 in January 1895, and scored three times in 363 appearances for the reds between then and 1909, winning two League titles and two Second Division Championships. He later coached for the Wearside club. Another left-back, Bernie Ramsden, arrived on a free transfer from Sheffield Victoria in March 1935. He played 63 times without notching in a reds career interrupted by the war, moving to Roker Park from Anfield in March 1948.

Scots galore
Scottish international right-half Tom Morrison signed from St. Mirren for £4,000 in November 1927. He struck four times in 254 reds games and joined Sunderland in November 1935, helping them to claim the League title in his first season. Inside-right George Livingstone signed from Celtic in May 1902, whom he had joined from Sunderland, and bagged four goals in 32 games the following season. He moved on to Manchester City after just one year at Anfield. Right-back Donald McCallum arrived from Queen's Park in 1901, but played just twice before moving on to Greenock Morton in 1903, from where he joined Sunderland.

On the wing
Howard Gayle was the first post-war black player to represent Liverpool. He made only five first-team appearances for the reds before moving on to Birmingham City in January 1983. He then joined Sunderland, turning out in 48 League games, in which he bagged four goals. Northern Irish inside-left Davy Hannah signed from Sunderland in November 1894. He was the cousin of Andrew Hannah, a Scottish right-back who left Anfield for Rob Roy soon afterwards. Davy struck twelve times in 33 reds games.

Cyril Gilhespy signed from Sunderland in August 1921, scoring three times in nineteen outings before moving to Bristol City in 1925. Outside-left Gordon Gunson arrived from the Mackems in March 1930 and made 87 appearances, scoring an impressive 26 times in his injury-affected time at Anfield. He moved on to Swindon Town in June 1934. Another winger, Norman Clarke played four League games for Sunderland in 1962/63 and scouted for the reds a few years ago.

Other double agents
Tom Watson managed us for nineteen years until his death in May 1915. He had led Sunderland to the League title three times, and won two more championships during his time at Anfield, in 1901 and 1906, as well as leading us to our first FA Cup Final in 1914. England international Paul Stewart signed for the reds from Tottenham Hotspur for £2.3m in July 1992. However, he scored just three times in 42 appearances in nearly four seasons. He joined Sunderland on loan in August 1995, playing just twice in his two months at Roker Park, although they signed him on a free transfer in March 1996. He netted five times in a further 37 games, before being offloaded to Stoke City at the end of the following season.

Left-back Len Ashurst signed for Sunderland in 1957 after being released by the reds, having signed on as an apprentice in 1953. He played 458 games for the Mackems, making him fourth in their all-time appearances list, but scored just four times. He returned to Roker Park in March 1984 as Manager, but was sacked after just fourteen months, despite leading them to the Milk Cup Final. Sunderland-born forward William Hunter joined the reds from Airdrieonians in December 1908 but only played once before moving back to Wearside in May 1909. Other double agents include 1970's midfielder Ray Kennedy, who later spent some time coaching with Sunderland, 1980's reserve Brian Mooney and Glenn Hysén's son Tobias.

LFC Wire
LFC Post   LFC Live
 Other News
 On this day in Liverpool history